Ballet exams

Moderator: busybusybusy

coniger
BRIT Award

Ballet exams

Post by coniger »

My DS is 6 (7 in 6 weeks) and last summer took and passed his pre =primary ballet exam and now I've been told he won't be able to take his primary ballet exam in the summer term as he wasn't 7 in time. Is this true. Do you have to be 7 at the beginning of the year to take a primary ballet exam? He is also in the development part of the school as well and so has a lesson with kids who are already grade 1. I don't know what to think but quite happy to pipe down if it is the case. I just think it is a bit weird to be primary for over a year with no date for an exam?!

thanks

Coniger
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Re: Ballet exams

Post by Hecouldshine »

No I shouldn't worry. Ds's teacher took ages to put him in for Primary. I think there is a bit of a step up in content for them at that age and it takes quite a while for them to "get it", I understand. I'm pretty sure dd was the same, although it's all a long time ago for us. Mine did RAD, so I don't know about other boards. It also depends on whether the dance school is doing shows during the year as well. And my two did some tap in their classes as well at that stage. It is important that they get the basics right at this stage rather than rushing through the grades. When you see the older classes, are you impressed with their technique? That's what counts, not what a piece of paper says.
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
coniger
BRIT Award

Post by coniger »

yes Hecouldshine they just did a show and I was very impressed with what was coming out of the school. 3 boys + 200 girls!!!!!!
thanks for replying!

Con x
suzysue
BRIT Award

Post by suzysue »

Yes they do have to be 7 to do the Primary exam, I remember waiting for dd to be old enough :D
coniger
BRIT Award

Post by coniger »

Thanks Suzysue
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Your DS would have had to have been 6 not 7 by 1st Jan to have been able to take his exam this summer. Grade 1 is from age 7, not primary. However, I stress that these are minimum ages - not goals to aim for. This is RAD syllabus. However, it is important to get the basics right in these early grades - rather than just learning to an exam. DDs teacher always likened it to building a wall - yes you could build a wall to a certain height with fewer bricks and gaps between but if you want to build higher those gaps need to be plugged or the wall will not be strong enough to add higher levels. So yes solid foundation so that they can build upon it properly. At the school my DDs attend/attended I would expect 18 months to be about the average time in each grade, depending also on if there are school shows during the year and if like your DS they are doing classes in more than one grade as your DS should progress more quickly through grade 1. I certainly do not think you have anything to worry about.
coniger
BRIT Award

Post by coniger »

thanks 2dancersmum
suzysue
BRIT Award

Post by suzysue »

Oh yes, it was Grade 1 she was waiting for a birthday for. Sorry.
gab
Nominee

Post by gab »

What several kids in my local area have done is to take Grade 1 (and do the exam) in the year they are 7, along with the Grade 2 class (because it's way more interesting for them if they are ready for it.) With RAD, the Grades beyond Grade 1 don't have the age cap. The following Year they move to Grade 3, and have the choice to also do the Grade 2 exam as well or not. Whether or not they elect not to take the exam, they have covered the syllabus, and developed the required technique.
This issue seems to be quite common in children who commence dance classes at a young age.