Dance competitions

Moderator: busybusybusy

dance-mom8
Nominee

Dance competitions

Post by dance-mom8 »

Hello, I'm new to this site and looking for some advice.

My DD5 has been doing ballet, tap and jazz for 2 years now, absolutely loves it and her teacher has expressed on a number of occasions that she feels DD has a lot of dance talent. Anyway, the dance school are attending a competition in the summer. The class has been asked to do a group dance, DD is so excited. Her teacher asked if she would also like to do a solo! DD Ssaid she would love this, but I'm wondering if it'll be a bit too much for her first competition experience. What if she freaked out when out on stage on her own and it put her off for the future. I have no clue about what a competition is like, but what would other mums do it my situation? Should she go for it, or do a group dance this year and see how she gets on then let her do a solo next time?
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Re: Dance competitions

Post by JayLou62 »

Hi,

You don't say how old your dd is.....my dd used to do festivals and took part in group numbers before doing solo dances. I think most of the mums were more nervous than their children competing! I know before my dd did her first solo dance I kept thinking 'I hope she remembers the steps! Please don't freeze! If you forget anything, keep going!' She was absolutely fine and loved the experience :)
Have to also say my dd isn't naturally confident, but just concentrated on her dance rather than watching the others perform before her performance. Try not to show your nerves either as dc pick up on them :)
Enjoy it - it's a great opportunity and helps to get accustomed to performing and working with adrenaline and nerves.
dance-mom8
Nominee

Post by dance-mom8 »

She is only 5. Sorry it looks like she's my 5th child, she's my eldest and I have 2 others. Thanks for the advice
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I doubt the teacher would have suggested it if she couldn't cope - after all, people remember the school for disasters, not the individual dancers. If she fancies it, then why not?

The other thing is that if this does really put her off, then you'll not be wasting time and money on something she really didn't have her heart in. I rarely get involved with younger children, but from year 7, if they chicken out, then it's good to know so you can control their fear factor in the future. Then, by the time they're leaving school, they will know how well they can cope with pressure. At 5, the pressure will be gentle anyway.

I work on numerous dance shows and there is always a child or two bursting into tears, but I've never seen it be the ones given solos! The teachers are too crafty to make that kind of mistake.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

From my experience, the parents and teachers 'make the weather' for the children.

If the parents and teachers get anxious, or refer incessantly to fear and anxiety, the kids learn to be anxious, pick up on the vibes, and develop tummy aches/feeling sick/worries,

If the parents and teachers are calm and matter-of-fact, the kids just get on with it. Especially the tiny ones.

Yes, they get butterflies. But if the parents and teachers are good at normalising it and keep calm, it doesn't generally escalate into a problem.

So my advice would be to check your own anxiety levels. If its too worrying for you to have your 5 year old performing solo on stage, then it will probably be too much for her as well. If you can be calm and support her to prepare so she is able to do a great job, then she will probably be OK.

There are some kids who are naturally more inclined to worry and get anxious. If you have one of those then you may need to re-think the whole going on stage thing, but don't pre-judge it. Even delicate flowers can and do give storming performances.

You know your own DD and yourself, but my advice would be that if she wants to do it, support her to do so.

Good luck Let us know what you decide .

Deb x
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

At 5 your DD will be in one of the youngest classes (A I think) and will go on as a 'novice'. This means she'll be dancing against children who've not won anything before and many of whom are relative newcomers to comps. For this section the adjudicators are usually very gentle and encouraging. In my experience most kids love the dressing up, make up etc.

One word of warning though - a word that was given to me but I did not heed! If you go down this route prepare to loose several weekends a year, a room in your house to costumes and props (I currently have 32 costumes which always seem to need mending, washing and attention, 2 giant teapots, some fake rocks and some artificial rose bushes in my box room) and a fair chunk of money on costumes, shoes, entry fees and the fees YOU pay to watch!! My DCs are older now (13 & 16) and cutting back a bit - bit they did love their time at comps and if I'm honest, despite the stress, so did I :D
Annaliesey
Nominee

Post by Annaliesey »

I think the dance teacher should be a good guide as they will have seen a side to your dd that means they can compare with other students / competitors, so I would trust them.

I also think that nerves and anxiety will depend on what she's done previously on stage such as shows. Has she done much on stage? Or has pressure of exams?

Solos can also sometimes be easier than group dances in a way as they can be rehearsed individually rather than having to worry about getting a group of people together.

My dd (9) did a competition this weekend and she wasn't nervous particularly about the dance but was nervous of not knowing how everything was going to run in terms of stage entrances and exits, where they would wait and when the music would start and felt much better after this was explained so maybe talking through this stuff would also help reduce nerves.

Good luck to her :)
suzysue
BRIT Award

Post by suzysue »

My dd has been dancing in festivals since age 4. She was never nervous, that's coming more now (she's 11). Tell her to smile, enjoy and keep dancing. Are there older dancers (and their families) who are experienced at going to festivals? They'll help you through it, it's a weird world that has become quite a normal way of life to us now!