fusion dance (modern/tap) vs tap

Moderator: busybusybusy

tikto
GRAMMY Award

fusion dance (modern/tap) vs tap

Post by tikto »

HI
Please could someone advise, our dance school offers a fusion dance class (in the description it says it's a combination of modern, street and tap). Would it be best to just stick to tap (along with ballet like we've been doing)? or is fusion a good option? My daughter is only little, in gr 1 ballet and tap. thanks
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Re: fusion dance (modern/tap) vs tap

Post by Ditzi »

Hi, I guess it's all down to personal preference. I personally would stick to ballet and tap, they do "modern" (sorry, can't remember the exact term, i'm sure you can find it on their website) at Edsa. If your dd is hoping to perform in a west end show one day, ballet experience is a requirement for a few shows at the moment. Anything you decide to do, it all counts in the long run. Good luck.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My guess its for children whose parents won't pay for separate classes to give them an introduction to all three styles
tikto
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikto »

Thank you all for your input, really appreciate it. Yes, she is definitely sticking to ballet, I was only thinking maybe to change her tap class to 'fusion' as the day works better for us. Also they don't do tap exams in her current school, is it normal? The ballet exams are RAD there. thanks again x
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Which dance school is she going to?
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

islandofsodor wrote:My guess its for children whose parents won't pay for separate classes to give them an introduction to all three styles
Perhaps it would have been better to say "can't pay" rather than "won't". Classes are very expensive for a lot of peole and unfortunately sometimes parents have to draw a line at extra classes.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

RAD don't do tap, only ballet so it may well be that your schools' teachers are not qualified to enter students in for tap exams with a different board - please note I did not say not qualified to teach them, just to enter them as I think it depends on membership/registration. At your DD's age I would say to stick with the ballet as the most beneficial and then do whichever class fits in best with your family and whichever your DD enjoys the most. I am sure she would soon pick the tap up again, even after a few years break but in any case if she does eventually aspire to a career in dance or MT, I think most ballet dancers probably enhance their ballet classes with modern or jazz as they get older, rather than tap.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

I do feel that tap is great for youngsters because it encourages aerobic fitness to complement the strength and flexibility of ballet. It's fast and fun but the fusion will also be a good one to get moving with. However I am absolutely in agreement that any lessons must fit with the family & purse. If the mixed class suits then just go for that, tap exams could be taken in the future if you DD really takes to tap just start with a higher grade. I haven't come across fusion but it sounds a fun combination. I think it can be a bit tiring and stressful to end up rushing about trying to fit in the right classes and going out several times a week to meet the timetable of the dance school. Do what works for your family week, if the fusion is on a more convenient time go for that one.
tikto
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikto »

Thank you all for your replies, she's going to have a taster for fusion the week after and we'll take it from there. The teacher said half the time they dance in tap shoes and half in socks... will let you know :) she's still going to tap till end of term and doing a dance for medals end of march. busy busy :D