where to look

Moderator: busybusybusy

sedgegooding
Nominee

where to look

Post by sedgegooding »

My son would love to do more. Can you recommend where to find out about auditions for shows. He is 8 years old. He does all forms of dance and sings. Just starting drama classes in Jan. We know of the Billy auditions in March but that's about it. We do belong to an agency but slightly worried about the cut they get if he got through to anything -can you recommend please.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Re: where to look

Post by Hecouldshine »

Welcome to the forum sedgegooding :D

It really depends where you live as to what is available for an 8 year old. Essentially London is the only place you can hope for paid musical theatre work, apart from occasional touring musicals. There is no paid "dance" work as such, other than in musical theatre, for this age group. If you live far away from London then Billy Elliot and Matilda are the only musicals that can accommodate their main role children (oh and Charlie I think :? )

Are you specifically looking for dance?

If he wants more dance experience and training then consider associate schemes at the main ballet/dance schools and colleges. Again it depends where you are based which might work for you. The Hammond one is always looking for boys and they do a mix of musical theatre, ballet, jazz, contemporary/creative and the odd singing and drama class. Royal Ballet School and Elmhurst are pure ballet, Tring, I think, are pure ballet, The Northern Ballet's associate scheme is very good for boys as well. All these use ballet for their audition. There are threads on the balletco forum about these schemes and their auditions, if you have a hunt.
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Are you only looking for professional work?

If you are looking for amateur work as well then it's worth getting on to the mailing lists of all the theatres near you to see which amateur companies use them and getting in touch with them directly. It's also worth keeping an eye on a local paper as they tend to cover community/amateur shows. Your local libary may also have details of local amateur companies.

For professional work, if you have an agent they will have access to far more opportunities than you will find by yourself (for things like TV/Film and commercials). They should also know about all professional MT work. How much commission do they take? Is it particularly high? I do think agents generally earn it!

I would never recommend trying to by-pass an agent in order to avoid paying commission and I would always recommend consulting an agent before submitting your ds for professional work. It is supposed to be a partnership :D .
Selina2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Selina2 »

The children's casting directors for London shows often post current castings on their sites:

http://johawes.com/

http://www.jessicaronane.com/

Plus https://www.facebook.com/debbieobriencasting

and this site too

http://stagetracker.blogspot.co.uk/

It's worth always keeping an eye on all of them for open castings ;)
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

It's worth reading your contract with your agent, as they are often entitled to commission on all fees the child earns, even if they don't book the job. So unless you are looking for unpaid work, you'll be paying commission anyway.

My DDs agent usually waives their right to commission on work she gets through her own networks, but we always tell them anyway. It would feel dishonest to do otherwise and we'd want it featured on her CV, so in the end truth will out.

And I agree with pg, the agents definitely earn their fees!

In addition to the sources mentioned by Selina2, just keep an eye on these forums as opportunities are often discussed here, and consider registering with Mandy.com which s a free casting site. There is also Star Now and KCCP, but you have to pay for those.

Hope this helps

Deb x
Selina2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Selina2 »

Yes, sorry, didn't read that part of the opening post properly. You should always expect to pay your agent commission even if you source the job yourself (although some may waive it for very low paid jobs), there has to be trust on both sides i.e. you expect them to be working for you even when you're not earning them any money, so you should also always expect to pay them commission for representing your child even if you find the job yourself. Also, with paid jobs you need your agent to check over the contract and do any additional negotiations for you over pay, expenses, future options etc - that is actually one of the most important parts of an agent's job, not just finding you auditions.