Class advice

Moderator: busybusybusy

clarabella
Nominee

Class advice

Post by clarabella »

DD was at a local dance school and the show has just confirmed what I thought. It's dreadful.
She loves dancing though and I want her to keep it up. Is it worth trying to find a local school that can show her the basics ( she is 5) and then look into RAD a bit further down the line. The closest RAD classes to us all seem to be on a saturday, she starts at UK theatre school in January and it is a Sat class. The theatre school covers singing, acting and dance. I don't want to push her into too much but with theatre school only teaching for three hours I'm not sure what they can fit in, in what I perceive to be one hour of dance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Re: Class advice

Post by lollypop »

Hi. I'd see what she enjoys, and how much you can logistically fit in. If it's helpful, our school suggests no more than 1 hour of after school activities during the week at that age to allow lots of time for play dates and relaxing, but everyone will be different. I know lots of people very happily and successfully do more. I do think that variety is important too - different types of dance, music, swimming, sports, art etc.
Last edited by lollypop on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

In my experience the three-hour acting/dancing/singing class is great, but the dance is musical theatre or sometimes some street, not ballet, tap or anything else. As you say, there's only so much they can do in an hour.
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

At 5 anything she is doing should be for fun. You need a school that offers a range of dance classes so she can try them all. As she gets older and matures she will naturally drop those she is less interested in/good at. Ballet is the foundation of all dance so choose a school where she can study and progress in this.

At 5 my daughter started with tap, then added ballet, Latin and ballroom, freestyle, cheer leading, modern but gradually she decided ballet was her passion and the other styles fell away. Body changes at puberty meant this was not an option for her but she is now on a CAT scheme for contemporary dance and absolutely loves it. She continues with additional ballet for technique.

Let your dd experience as much as possible, they seem to find their own strengths along the way :)
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hi, I recently compared the show for the school at which my DD and DS have danced for the last 8 years. It's a local dance school, newish and certainly not the areas 'best' or most prestigious dance school. The kids that go to the school range from 2 years old to my DD who is 16.

The range of abilities/aptitude for dance is just as broad. We have kids who really don't want to be on stage & just cry (Mummy wants them to do it though); kids with no sense of rhythm; teenagers who say they want to be in the show but then, when it comes to it, seem to be too embarrassed to move; tiny tots who just wander about. Then we have the kids who OK and then kids who are outstanding. My point is that, in MOST ballet/dance school shows they will try to include EVERY child and that can result in the show looking fairly ropey overall. Doesn't mean the teaching's bad overall.

If your DS enjoyed the class, liked the teacher, had friends then, at 5, I would respectfully suggest that having fun and enjoying yourself is more important. As long as the teacher is properly qualified (IDTA, RAD etc) and is teaching proper technique then a 1/2 hour ballet class a week, in addition to the 3 hour stage school classes, should be plenty at 5. My kids stay where they are because it's a lovely place where the kids are all friends and the Mums aren't pushy - believe me this isn't always the case.

If, in a couple of years time your DS is showing an interest in, and an aptitude for ballet specifically then look at the RAD Associates or similar but it's a big step up.

Only my opinion of course!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

fartoomuchtodo wrote:Hi, I recently compared the show for the school at which my DD and DS have danced for the last 8 years. It's a local dance school, newish and certainly not the areas 'best' or most prestigious dance school. The kids that go to the school range from 2 years old to my DD who is 16.

The range of abilities/aptitude for dance is just as broad. We have kids who really don't want to be on stage & just cry (Mummy wants them to do it though); kids with no sense of rhythm; teenagers who say they want to be in the show but then, when it comes to it, seem to be too embarrassed to move; tiny tots who just wander about. Then we have the kids who OK and then kids who are outstanding. My point is that, in MOST ballet/dance school shows they will try to include EVERY child and that can result in the show looking fairly ropey overall. Doesn't mean the teaching's bad overall.

If your DS enjoyed the class, liked the teacher, had friends then, at 5, I would respectfully suggest that having fun and enjoying yourself is more important. As long as the teacher is properly qualified (IDTA, RAD etc) and is teaching proper technique then a 1/2 hour ballet class a week, in addition to the 3 hour stage school classes, should be plenty at 5. My kids stay where they are because it's a lovely place where the kids are all friends and the Mums aren't pushy - believe me this isn't always the case.

If, in a couple of years time your DS is showing an interest in, and an aptitude for ballet specifically then look at the RAD Associates or similar but it's a big step up.

Only my opinion of course!
what Fartoomuchtodo said - spot on and great advice
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

My girls could barely 'walk,talk and chew gum' at 5 (for the record, no I wasn't giving chewing gum to my babies...it's just a saying :lol: )

So when they went to dance class they were there to have fun and, in their own heads, to be a princess/fairy/prima ballerina/whatever other fantasy they were living out at the time.

They also learnt how to pay attention to the teacher, follow direction, be on a stage, hit their mark (sort of...) and, possibly the most important lesson, to turn up, on time, with the right gear, week in and week out, even if they were in a bad mood/tired/would rather watch the Disney Channel today. They learnt to be part of a team and how important it is to play your part well, even if it is a very small role that seems insignificant.

They learnt a lot about this by experiencing what it's like to have kids in the class who don't turn up, don't learn their parts, get bad tempered if they don't get the lead role etc etc. They know how hard it is to rehearse around a gap so they try not to be that gap.

Yes, I have sat through many hours of performances of varying standards :? I have learnt to applaud my little heart out regardless of what I have just experienced because, even in it's darkest moments, I appreciate that for many of the kids (including mine, maybe) that is is best they can do and the best they will ever do. Just being there and getting through it may be the pinnacle of their achievement.

For my girls, one chose to do more challenging stuff and has grown out of the Saturday morning theatre school that she loved attending but wasn't stretching her. When she is doing things with much older young people and adults I am blown away by their generosity and patience, but like to think that it's payback for all the time she has spent supporting youngsters who can't (yet) do what she does. What goes around comes around and however good a child is, they are not the finished article and will go through phases of being the one supporting others and the one being supported.

My second DD retired from performing at the age of 8 and is pursuing other interests.

So, in my opinion, just let your DD have fun. She will be learning lots of things that may not be apparent and she has lots of years ahead of her to develop her talents. Get used to watching kids performing and remember patience is a virtue :D

If she wants to do more, why not follow up the advice on many of the threads here, get her registered with an agent and audition for professional work? But only if she wants to.

Hope this helps - others with more dance experience will advise on what you should look for n a dance teacher and school, just to be sure that what your DD is doing with her young body is safe and appropriate for her age.

Please let us know how you get on.

Deb x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Such wonderful, articulate, heartfelt advice from NAPMers.

With you all the way :)
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I'm so easily trained!!

I keep looking for the 'LIKE' button on here

Great, sensible advise!!

At 5, children often neurologically haven't sorted out left & right or how to move one arm or one leg (hence the jumping up & down that some do). They are learning 'how to learn' in so many aspects of their life at that age.
Kazmama
BRIT Award

Post by Kazmama »

I had the same worry about finding the right place for my DD, how would I know if the classes were right?!. She went to a summer workshop at one school and loved it on the first day, second day she'd been picked on a couple of times by the end of the show on the final day she was in tears because someone stole her lines and when she told the teacher she just told her to get on with it, I was horrified when she told me afterwards (because right up until we got home she said it was all fine).

So then we went to the open day of another local school, DD was booked in to have a try at street dance & cheerleading she ended up staying for 3 hours, loved every minute of it and we signed her up for some classes. All of the kids were very very nice and not once has she had a problem with the other kids, each and every one supports each other and nobody is left out they are like one big family. That was what was most important for me, to find somewhere DD would feel welcome and not worry about being teased or being left out and could just be herself and be encouraged not only by teachers but by the other kids.

I also wanted somewhere that would actually train her up and I wouldn't just be sinking money into classes that after 2/3/4/5 etc etc years she would have nothing to show for it if you know what I mean? So somewhere that trained them up, put them in for exams, offered performance opportunities etc was important. I don't always get on with the principal and many a time I have been in tears at home and wanted to go in and scream at her but I can't fault the level of teaching, the opportunities etc and as I said most importantly every single child is welcomed and encouraged by both the teachers and the children.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Shows can vary a bit. Is the dance school associated with a dance exam board? ISTD RAD with qualified teachers? If so you may be able to see exam results. Many schools publish these on their website. If these look reasonable then the teaching is likely to be ok. My advice would be to look at your options. What schools are available within a sensible travelling distance? You don't want to get locked in to a time consuming round trip every week at your DDs age as she will get tired. There would be no harm in your DD starting a ballet class at 5 and I also agree with others who say keep it fun. However don't feel she will be missing out if she doesn't start til later. At 7 she will be able to pick things up quickly and start at a slightly higher grade anyway.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I would agree with the general advice of the others that at 5 it is more about having fun. Ballet is the foundation for the other dance styles and if she loves dance looking into RAD classes would be the way to go. The RAD website gives information on finding a teacher local to you. However, I would not worry about this yet when she has her theatre school on the Saturday. Give that a go first and see how she gets on. RAD ballet at age 5 is typically only 45 minutes a week for the pre-primary and primary grades.
clarabella
Nominee

Post by clarabella »

Thank you for all the advice. It wasn't just the level of dancing that concerned me, it was the lack of organisation on the lead up to the show too. Costumes not ordered or the wrong size, telling us we would be able to go see the little ones dance but having the doors barred. I just felt like it was a rabble and it showed.

I've looked at some local schools and I have been trying to find out where her school friends go. We aren't from the town so I'm trying to get her mix with other children.

I agree it should be fun, and thats what I want for her. With the last school it seemed all she wanted to go for was the tuck shop at the end.

Again, thank you so much for you advice. When I've asked other people I've just got blank stares.
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hmm! Clarabella I'm afraid you've touched a nerve here. As I mentioned in my previous post I compared the (2) shows my DC's school put on recently. There are over 150 children in the school and lists were put up weeks in advance asking for volunteers to help with everything from hair and make-up to manning the cafe, from chaperoning the little ones to selling raffle tickets.

As a school,l we have a group of kids who take part in competitions (not a route to go down if you value your time and sanity - take my word for it!). The mums of this group (about 15 of us) raise money for the show (to pay for costumes) and to give all the kids who attend the school a free (or subsidised) Christmas party. We donate to and run raffles, we bake cakes, we sell books and DVDs etc. And it's JUST US. Despite numerous calls for donations & support from across the school we get very little support from other parents.

Predictably, the show was the same. 15 or so of us organised 150 kids, did hair and make for the little ones (personally I was faced with some VERY rude parents), got the kids on and off stage on time, compared two shows, sold refreshments, raffle tickets and even broke up a fight between two dads over seats!! The school principal ordered costumes for 100s, sent detailed letters home with said costumes and people STILL arrived shouting at us (the volunteers) that they hadn't been told what to do. When we pointed to the letters(attached to the costumes) the just mumbled and said they were 'too busy' or similar.

I'm sure that, from the outside, at least bits of the show looked a shambles. I'm sure that the mums I shooed out of the wings and back into the auditorium were most put-out, I'm sure that people did have to wait too long for their cuppa, thought the show dragged, thought the compare was rubbish (fair point though) but we, stressed, stretched and moaned at, did our best.

Wow - got that lot off my chest! Sorry but most dance school shows rely on the parents to help. If you did then well done you and maybe you have a right to moan. If not then think carefully before you criticise.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Did I mention my need for a 'LIKE' button

& the parents who told me 'If I did my job properly & earned the money I was being paid for & kindly complete the costumes in time' when I was volunteering
& the costumes that weren't paid for until the day before the show
& the people who didn't volunteer to make teas/coffees/cakes & then complain about the standard of them
& the parents that didn't read the many, many letters about where/when/how or why

fartoomuchtodo, I wonder if it was the same show!! or if it's simply a symptom of an event that is complex, time consuming and very, very expensive!

But this is possibly not the thread for that & I'm not having a go at either the OP or at the parents at the school DD attends (just relating to fartoomuchtodo's post). If you have never been in the organisation of one you cannot imagine the sheer enormity of it all!!