Contemporary CAT Birmingham

Moderator: busybusybusy

suzysue
BRIT Award

Contemporary CAT Birmingham

Post by suzysue »

Does anyone have any experience of the contemporary CAT scheme in Birmingham? My dd is 11 (Y6) and interested in applying, it would be great to hear some experiences. The website has lots of information and sounds great but a personal slant would be really helpful.
Thanks x
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Contemporary CAT Birmingham

Post by Robin64 »

It is an excellent programme but I would say that at 11 your DD is probably rather young. Most of the CAT students I saw were more like 15 or 16 years old. That is not to say don't try because your DD will gain from the experience of the auditions. I know some CATs do take 11 year olds so you could email them and ask. I am just going on what I saw a couple of years ago. My DD got through to the second round and at 13 she was definitely one of the youngest there. We didn't go to this years auditions as DD has decided she doesn't want to concentrate on contemporary but she enjoyed the experience and has been to some of the dance days at Dancexchange which have been good.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Contemporary CAT Birmingham

Post by Robin64 »

You could think about trying for an associate scheme or doing some summer schools to build up experience. Also try some of the regular dance days at Dancexchange which are open to all young dancers and take place at the same venue as the CAT.