DD and Osgood Schlatter Disease

Moderator: busybusybusy

DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

DD and Osgood Schlatter Disease

Post by DanceDiva »

DD went out for her usual keep-fit jog around the village last week and on returning called me to see a swelling just below her knee on one leg.
I honestly thought she had put a tennis ball up her leggings looking at the size of it :shock:
We did the usual dance injury treatment RICE ( rest, ice, compression, elevation ) but when I'd returned an hour later from shopping it was still as bad, maybe even worse.
Oddly she had no pain, a little stab of 'uncomfortable-ness' but certainly nothing to make her flinch.

Off to see my dad who is a retired GP who, on taking one look at her instantly showed his 'concerned face' and diagnosed Osgood Schlatter Disease.
He had only seen a couple of cases many moons ago, both in boys but the treatment for both was stopping ALL physical exertion until symptoms ceased.
We instantly came home, googled it and therein frightened ourselves rigid !!

From what we have gleaned it is caused by your quadriceps muscle ( the one that runs down the front of your thigh ) which joins just below the knee to the tibia.
Active kids combined with a growth spurt cause this muscle to pull away the from where it joins the bone - hence the swelling and supposed pain.
Treatment ( cue - hysterical DD and tearful mother ) - rest, cessation of physical activity for what could be 12 months or more, painkillers and anti-inflams.
DD convinced dancing dream down the pan and I can readily admit, that even with a bottle of Sauvignon blanc I didnt sleep a wink that night.

She went into her CAT scheme at The Lowry the following day who took one look and said nonchalantly 'Oh yes, you've got OSD - we'll manage that for you' !!! =D> =D>
I spoke to other mums at dance and found someone else in the same dance school as my youngest DD who has it.
I went to a freestyle dance competition on Sunday with youngest DD and almost everyone I spoke to had heard about it, knew someone with it or had been warned about it !!
I was amazed - it was a LOT more common than I thought ( thanks dad for scaring me witless thinking my DD was a rare specimen ! )

So from what we can gather - its common in sport and dance and usually affects more boys than girls. Ages 10-16 combined with a growth spurt.
Treatment rest and painkillers if necessary.
GP's will tell you to stop whatever it is you are doing but there's never much chance of that as these are extra-active kids.
My DD is unlikely to rest it as much as she should but no further damage can be done if she doesn't rest it - she just might get more pain from it with the exercise and swelling under the kneecap so then we manage the pain.

We have ordered some knee pads with gel inserts for her practice sessions at dance - just to protect the sensitive swelling.
We carry a supply of Ibuprofen for emergencies and we will see tomorrow how CAT are going to manage it.

So DD is going in for her final week on the CAT scheme after her first year of being with them and if we all cross our fingers she may even be able to dance in her end of year performance at the end of this week.
So there you go - that's our OSD experience and what a scary and sudden onset it was !
Will let you know how DD gets on but seriously, thanks so much for the support.
I was really touched to read the get well soon messages and thoughts from you - meant a lot as a relative newcomer on here.

Cheers everyone xx
Robsmumma
GRAMMY Award

Re: DD and Osgood Schlatter Disease

Post by Robsmumma »

Your poor DD, hope it improves quickly (does it really take a year or more?)

My DD started having problems with her hip joint when she was around 10, we thought it was the end of her ballet but she has grown out of it luckily.
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Robsmumma wrote:Your poor DD, hope it improves quickly (does it really take a year or more?)
It only really subsides when the child stops growing so could actually take WAY more than 12 months :shock: :shock:
Which why the advice of rest isn't realistic as an option.
I just need it in writing from a professional that carrying on won't do any damage and hoping DD's CAT physio can help here.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not going to push DD through the pain barrier in order to perform but if half a paracetmol will ease the symptoms then we will treat it as such.
Today she has done some stretching and is symptom free so fingers crossed for tomorrow as she is in dance rehearsal all day !

Thanks Robsmumma xx
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Sorry to hear this - I had a friend that had it and it was quite painful for a while. Seemed to subside after the growth spurts stopped though. I hope she gets good news from the CAT scan and physio x
Last edited by CatKat_0 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

My son who is 14 also has the same thing, GP said "its is important he doesn't miss out, so carry on but rest when really painful", :) So he has taken a couple of months off rugby and football training and now seem much much better. We also know loads of boys that has suffered from the same thing. Good luck to your dd Im sure she will come through it and Im glad you seem much happier. :lol: We only want the best for our children and its such a worry when they are poorly :D
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Dds had this too, they rested for a few weeks til they were pain free, then used gel trainers for netball, gel pads for dance etc and just used the pain to warn them if they were doing too much. Dd (16) growth has now totally slowed down and the problem has gone away.
Fingers crossed for your dd, a couple of weeks off or her summer hols could get things back under control.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Is this what they used to call 'growing pains'? my nephew gave up rugby several years ago because he has 'growing pains' .
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Not sure its the same thing.

Some kids just get phantom pains in their joints, usually coupled with sleeping and eating A LOT

I think with OS it's more visible - usually extrem pain and swelling - especially in the knees. The boy I knew that had it, had quite hard "boney-like" deposits just at the top of his knee joint.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

My dd was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatters in January of this year. She has seen a Sports physio every month since then. Initially the physio thought dd would have to stop dancing completely. Dd cut down on her classes (down to 2 ballet classes a week, plus her Associate class once a fortnight for 4 hours). Dd performed in 'Swan Lake' for her school dance show in April (in much pain by the end after 2 shows - she was a Swan and a Bride) and has gradually increased her classes and is now back up to 4 ballet classes a week plus her associates class. She also wears knee supports for her classes. Dd is 15 and is now 5ft 8ins and am hoping that she has stopped growing!
Auditions begin soon for 2014 entry and am hoping she'll be ready. It's going to be a busy year as her Associate class want to do a tour next year and start rehearsing soon for 'Cinderella' their next school show.
Hope your dd gets better soon too.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

I got OSD when I was 15 and it has never gone. I am now 48 and have had to put up with aching knees especially in cold weather and an unsightly lump under both knees - still there. I probably didn't stop activities at the time as I was very sporty at school (I was told it was probably netball on a hard pitch that caused mine but I guess it might be whether you are inclined to it?) but just a warning that it might be worth seeing an expert and taking the advice. Those lumps could possibly spoil the leg line for ballet if that is what your DD is aiming for. I am sure the CAT scheme will give good advice but do take it seriously to lessen any long term effects.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Poor DD; it's so upsetting when our children are ill.

Pay attention to everything said at medical appointments and take someone along if you are concerned about taking it all in. Write it all down and ask the Dr/Nurse/physio to read it & check you've understood. Then keep a timeline of 'what happened, when' it's useful to have to record to look back on in future.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

All the best to your dd DanceDiva. It must be a worry for you but It's great that the CAT scheme are going to work through it with her. Please keep us all posted on her progress. xxxx
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

I hope your dd gets well soon! I'll be praying for her!
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Thank you all for your kind wishes and shared experiences.

** Touch wood ** DD seems a little improved over the past week.
She managed both performances of her end of year CAT show without the need of painkillers and has some wonderful gel knee pads from a dance catalogue.
They really are the bees knees ( groan ) and have eased the pressure brilliantly.
Today she has gone off to do her summer school with CAT which is dance combined with martial arts and chinese based movement so it will be interesting to see how she fares with it.

I'm really grateful for your messages as sometimes its a wee bit frightening to have a dancer with an injury, as you can no doubt imagine !
Summer holidays are here and now its time to kick back and rest.......I wish !!
Will promise to update xx
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

That's great news DanceDiva, I bet she was thrilled that she could take part in her performances.

Hope she has a great time on her summer intensive with the CAT (I'm sure she will). My DD had hers last week and had an exhausting but amazing time working with dancers from Retina Dance Company.

Unfortunately due to work commitments I could not get to see the showing at the end of the week but my dd's group all came out of the theatre with black stripes on their faces, wearing black head bands and t-shirts with "Dave's Ninjas" stencilled on the back. Not sure how much chinese movement was involved in that!! :lol:

Hope you all manage some well earned R&R over the summer.