Any other mums of ballet boys out there?

Moderator: busybusybusy

fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Any other mums of ballet boys out there?

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you are mums (or dads) of ballet boys? My DS is almost 12 and is quite good at ballet, tap modern etc but absolutely not into street dance, hip-hop etc. It makes him a bit different to all his friends at school - especially as he's not sport either (doesn't even like watching football). So far he hasn't had had much in the way of bullying (school are really good) just some unkind name calling etc. The fact that he's been on telly helps I think - they think he's 'cool' for that.

I just thought it might be nice to share some experiences like - why do they never have boys changing rooms at festivals?; who shows an 11 year old boy how to wear a dance belt?; are female dance teachers OK for progressing boys? etc Also, if anyone had any good sources for festival costumes that don't cost the earth I'd be grateful!
Dancingboy
BRIT Award

Re: Any other mums of ballet boys out there?

Post by Dancingboy »

fartoomuchtodo wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you are mums (or dads) of ballet boys? My DS is almost 12 and is quite good at ballet, tap modern etc but absolutely not into street dance, hip-hop etc. It makes him a bit different to all his friends at school - especially as he's not sport either (doesn't even like watching football). So far he hasn't had had much in the way of bullying (school are really good) just some unkind name calling etc. The fact that he's been on telly helps I think - they think he's 'cool' for that.

I just thought it might be nice to share some experiences like - why do they never have boys changing rooms at festivals?; who shows an 11 year old boy how to wear a dance belt?; are female dance teachers OK for progressing boys? etc Also, if anyone had any good sources for festival costumes that don't cost the earth I'd be grateful!
Hi I also have ds like ours but he is good at street locking popping etc just got into The Place in London where they do embrace boys . More boys doing ballet now and dance in general so getting recognised more my ds is 10 xxx
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

My son is relatively new to ballet - he goes to an all boys class which he really enjoys. He is taught by a lady, but often her son who is a professional ballet dancer comes to teach - he's an inspirational role model and a great example to the boys. It does sound like a little bit of discrimination going on regarding the festivals - I'm wodering whether that's something you could bring up with the organisers?
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hi CatKat, You must be down south to have an all boys class? Only option like that up here is Royal Ballet Associates and he's not keen to go down that route - he wants to be an actor he says not a dancer (much to his teacher's distress :lol: 0 In this town there is one sole male teacher and my DS is not keen to leave his existing class and friends.

At festivals he's usually one or only two or three boys (not alone though) and often when judging adjudicators will say 'well done girls' or 'all come forward girls' - he's starting to speak up for himself more now. Organisers are really only helpful if they have boys in their own school but I am working to improve things.

As you say dancingboy more boys doing ballet now - mainly due to Billy. My DS got down to the last 3 for the role of Michael in BE but didn't get it. He's off to the Tap Attack auditions next week and they have lots of male teachers so that will help (if he gets in [-o< ).

Lets hope they all continue to enjoy it - the main purpose after all!
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Hi Farmuchtodo (love the name! :) ), I don't know whereabouts in the country you are but it is worth keeping your eyes open for the RAD Boys Only days. It gives them opprtunities to mix with like minded boys and be taught by renowned male teachers.
Not wanting to divert you from this fantastic forum but if you join balletcoforum.com there a lots of mums of talented ballet boys there to offer support and advice.
best wishes
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

yes - I am - we're Hertfordshire - the class isn't very big though, only about 8 boys in total.
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Thanks kitschqueen (you have a lovely name too - conjures up delightful images!)- we're in Yorkshire but I'll have a look at the RAD and see if they do anything up here x
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Interesting post, fartoomuchtodo (great name!)
We're at the very start of our ballet journey, having coming via musical theatre and street. No ballet-specific gear so far, but after reading your first post on this thread I googled dance belt and spend an enlightening few minutes! Who knew? Though I won't pretend I hadn't wondered. ;)
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hi TaylaB, the dance belt thing is a huge stumbling block. His Dad doesn't take very much interest in dancing (though he doesn't discourage at all) so he wasn't prepared to do 'the talk', his dance teacher looked at me blankly (she didn't know such things existed) and anyway it wouldn't be appropriate and no 12 year old boy wants his Mum telling him how to arrange his bits :oops:

I got him the dance belt (expensive little items!) and gave him this to read: http://www.dancebelt.info/17165091C1D94 ... -to-dance/ This was REALLY helpful - hope it helps anybody in the same uncomfortable boat ;)

Good luck to your DS - hope he enjoys himself.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Hi fartoomuchtodo. Another mum of a ballet boy here, as you can tell by my username! My ds is turning 15 this week though! He refused to wear a dance belt until he did his first English Youth Ballet when Dominic, the assistant artistic director took the boys aside for "a little chat"! They are firmly told they have to wear one :lol: Now he will at least wear them for performances and exams :roll:

The RAD Boys only weekends are usually very good, and there is one in Leeds most years, taking place at Quarry Hill, the Northern Ballet headquarters. Northern Ballet have very strong teaching for boys in their Associate scheme http://northernballet.com/index.php?q=a ... associates and Matthew Koon, who was the first non white Billy, went through this scheme before going on to English National Ballet School (I think it was) at 16. He had been a Junior Associate of the RBS before becoming a Billy, but the trouble is that the boys in mid and senior associates of the RBS go down to London, or at least they used to.

http://www.rad.org.uk/article_pink.asp?id=278 Boys only RAD page
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
poohstix
BRIT Award

Post by poohstix »

My son is 10 and does tap and modern now, but did his grade 2 ballet exam when he was 7 and then gave it up as he thought ballet was boring. Which I can understand as he only did it for a term and it was all exam practise which is very repetetive, I think if he'd carried on after the exam he would have enjoyed it. His teacher is very good with him (a female) but he is only 1 of 3 boys in the school of over 200 and only boy in his classes. It can become tricky as boys curriculum is different from the girls so its difficult to teach him the boys stuff as hes the only 1. She is very good though and does private lessons for him for free to teach him when it comes up to the exams. He has stopped it altogether this term as he wants to do cricket but will go again in September.
I tired to get him to go to an all boy class but he didnt want to change schools so its a case of seeing how it goes. Also I think going up to Secondary in Septmeber may change things, at primary his mates have been ok about it but that may change in year 7. I'm hoping he'll continue though.
Pickledpiggy
Nominee

Post by Pickledpiggy »

My ds10 is a ballet boy has no interest in other kinds of dance at all! He's just got a place in the Scottish ballet ja's so hopefully be a few boys in his class there.. At the moment he's the only boy in his grade but his classes are in the royal Conservatoire so he gets to see all the older degree course students which he loves :D . I had been wondering about the whole dance belt thing too! Great to see so many dancing boys here!
Pickledpiggy x

I'm going slightly mad...
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Oh this is just lovely :D I no longer feel so alone - NAPM is just marvellous isn't it x
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Have Dds not DS but just wanted to say to check out the RAD Associates aswell as boys only class. This is a monthly scheme that your RAD teacher has to enter them for but it includes a boys only session each month aswell as the graded sessions. Also Birmingham Royal Ballet do a series of insight days each year. They do taster sessions a couple of times a year which are part days and from about grade 2 and full insight days (4 a year) which is for inter-foundation level upwards. On the full days the first technique class is mixed but for the repertoire work the boys are usually taught separately by a male BRB teacher. Details are usually posted on their website in the summer for the full day scheme with an application deadline end of September for the first session.. Taster sessions tend to run in school holidays in spring/early summer. hope this might be of interest
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Hi everyone, I have a ds who does modern and is due to start ballet in Sept. He does the Tring Associates and really enjoys it. There are more boys than girls in his modern and I've been told the ballet has a fair number of boys too. He often sees the older male boarders as they come and practise in the studios and I think havng older boys around makes him feel comfortable. Tring has days of dance for boys only, and people come from all over.
It may be difficult being a boy who enjoys ballet but at least they haven't got the huge competition the girls have. My friends of dds think I'm really lucky to have a ds for that reason. My ds dance teacher really understands boys and as he says, "she's really funny and really nice."
Its lovely to hear everyones experiences.
Last edited by RoseTowers4 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.