Any other mums of ballet boys out there?

Moderator: busybusybusy

francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Re: Any other mums of ballet boys out there?

Post by francescasmum »

:shock:
She's not that old (maybe 45?).
:shock: I think I need a lie down! :lol: :lol: :lol:
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

Francescasmum, I share the feeling ;) :lol: :lol:
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

francescasmum wrote::shock:
She's not that old (maybe 45?).
:shock: I think I need a lie down! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe she'll know better when she grows up. :lol:

Deb x
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Saw these boys classes advertised if they are of any interest

http://londonchildrensballet.com/worksh ... 20boys.htm
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

RAD have a boys only weekend in Eastleigh on 8-9th March for 8-18 year olds, Saturday 9:15 til 5pm, Sun til 3 or 4pm (depending on group) £51. Still plenty of spaces available. Ignore the deadline as they are still taking bookings since it is not full

For further information :

https://www.rad.org.uk/events/boys-only-hampshire
jpc
Nominee

Post by jpc »

Hi,

I have a son who has danced since the age of 8. (He is now 15). Like your son he loves ballet, tap and modern, contemporary but doesn't do street or hip hop etc. We are in the North West and I'm pleased to say the school my son goes too is steadily increasing its numbers of boys. As far as teaching is concerned. Nathan had female teachers only until he was about 13 and then the school brought in a fantastic male teacher who has brought Nathan on leaps and bounds (literally:-)). Nathan has attended a few of the RAD boy only workshops and he did find them very good.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Hi jpc. Your ds sounds similar to mine (danced since 7, turning 16 in June). What will he do with his dance at 16? Mine is staying on to do A levels so will be taking his Adv 1 ballet at his normal dance school. I only know of one other boy in Cumbria who has done this while attending normal school for A levels. It's a funny situation!
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
Danceking
Nominee

Post by Danceking »

Hi everyone I have a ds who is now 15, he started dancing at around 7 but nothing serious till about 9 did comps with local dance school he did ballet tap modern song and dance and street dance. He was more into acting he auditioned for Sylvia young at 9 and 10 years old but didn't get enough funding he then auditioned at last minute for the Hammond school in Chester which is more ballet and was lucky enough to get an mds award he went there for 3 years and then decided he wanted to be int London so we moved he got a schoolship for a theatre school in London and also attends trinity Laban for contemporary and ballet. He has just been auditioning for colleges now and has done very we'll , he has been very lucky and never been bullied and we have met lots of ballet boys along the way
cupcake23
Nominee

Post by cupcake23 »

There is a new (ish) ballet school for boys open in London, my 9yr old ds has been attending and he absolutely loves it, would really recommend.
As well as Ballet they offer classes in Contemporary, Musical Theatre, Jazz, Tap, to name a few!
They train on Saturdays at the Urdang Academy 2.
www.BoysBalletLondon.com
Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Littlemum »

Hello NAPMs, wonder if I could ask your advice on behalf of my DS?
He's 14 but very small for his age (4'10") but after the chance of a lifetime with Matthew Bourne's Lord of the Flies, really wants to take it further (he'd not danced before). He's now going to the Lowry in Salford for regular contemporary classes but it would be great to get him some tuition in ballet and tap - is there anyone from the Northwest who can recommend anywhere or any other ideas? I've made some tentative enquiries but am stumped to find somewhere he'd fit in - also, which syllabus etc is best. I've looked on the forum about syllabus / exam help but it's all changed since my girlie dancing days and any advice would be appreciated. Hope you can help!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

For ballet RAD is probably the most well known/recognised. ISTD is popular also and especially for tap, jazz etc as RAD is ballet only. I don't know of schools in your area but could suggest you post the question on balletcoforum - as that forum is aimed at ballet rather than dance or performing arts.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

This is probably the best dance school in that area http://www.centre-pointe.co.uk/
They have coached many would-be Billys for Billy Elliot and Matthew Koon, an ex Billy, did most of his training there (ballet and tap) before going to The English National Ballet School.

Lovely to hear that Lord of the Flies has inspired him to try ballet :D =D> =D> =D>
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hello Littlemum, how wonderful that your DS is inspired to take things further! \:D/

Without wishing to be the harbinger of doom I just want to add a cautionary note here before you go trailing all over the NW and end up with an hour's commute to a dancing school. Dancing is wonderful and fun and good for people in so very many ways BUT it can become a bit all-consuming. We went from a 1/2 hour ballet lesson once a week to dancing 5 times a week (1/2 hour ballet and tap classes, a 1 hour private lesson, a 2 hour troupe class and a conditioning class) AND his dance teacher still wanted him to do more. Admittedly a lot of this is because he dances in festivals and competitions but I just wanted to say, make sure your DS is happy at the school and that it's not going to mean you spend half your life travelling.

As well as curriculum it's worth finding out a bit about the character of the school. Some are very strict (almost regimented) with teachers who shout (and I have even known them poke [hit?] the kids with sticks!) others are more laid back with relaxed attitude to uniform etc. Your DS might get better training at the former but be happier at the latter - only you know your child. Mine both liked a stricter attitude - meant they got more done.

Other things to consider - do they enter festivals, put on shows and how often? As mentioned above it can get a bit much BUT - just doing exams can get a but dull and they can lose interest. Dance is, after all, a performance art - they should really get plenty of opportunities to perform.

I wish you the very best of luck with it all. My advice would be to find a good local school where your DS will be happy. Let us know how you go on and if there is anything else you need to know :D
Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Littlemum »

Thank you all so much - what great feedback and ideas! I'd not even heard of / found centre-pointe in my searches, so thanks for that and the other tips too. Yes, I know exactly what you mean about getting taken up with time on dancing - and he's really into his acting and is going into year 10 too, so time to knuckle down to some academic work too I think. However, if I can help him fit even some lessons in I think he'll do really well. Keeps him growing too! Thanks - I must keep in touch with this part of the forum from now on! x
Billysmum
Nominee

Post by Billysmum »

Hi Littlemum
Centrepointe's where the Royal Ballet School hold their Manchester Associate workshops, so the facilities must be OK at least!