First Pointe shoes

Moderator: busybusybusy

beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

First Pointe shoes

Post by beanie-bean »

Hello there, I am wondering if any of you can help me. My dd is 12, and her ballet teacher has told us that she can get her first pair of pointe shoes. This is the day my dd has been waiting for since she was about 3 years old and is very excited about it. My dd has very slender feet with long toes, and the teacher has said that I should take her to London to get them fitted. This means that she cannot come with us and I'm feeling a little apprehensive. Could anyone recommed a shop which holds lots of different makes and styles for my dd to try? I'd be grateful for any info or advice. xxx
Overspent
Nominee

Re: First Pointe shoes

Post by Overspent »

Hi,

It does very much depend on the fitter as well as the variety of makes and styles available. For DD's first pair we went to Dancia on Drury Lane and they were fine. However, the next two fitters there didn't take into account that DD's feet had changed having done pointe work for six or seven months, and they simply fitted her with the same make but in a bigger size.

The result was that DD ended up with completely the wrong type of pointe shoes for her feet and pointe work started to become very difficult for her, which meant she lost confidence. Her local teacher spotted that the shoes were wrong and suggested we try Tiffany at Bloch. Even though we'd only had the other shoes three weeks I decided to go to Bloch. Tiffany took over an hour to make sure DD ended up with the right shoes and explained exactly why the other shoes were wrong.

The Bloch shoes she ended up with have been brilliant and given DD her confidence back. I have every expectation now though that her feet may change again and I may have to try Freed another time. There seems to be a long period of trial and error with pointe shoes, especially in the first year or two. So don't be alarmed if you think you have found a make or model and then find that you need to change after a while.

If you are a novice then it would help if your DD's teacher could go with you, but if that's not possible then check with the shop whether you can get the teacher's approval of the shoes and exchange them if necessary (before you sew the ribbons on!).

Do try Dancia, Bloch and Freed though and then go back and try shoes on again. I know Anjuli Bai can give fantastic advice on pointe shoe buying in general! :)
Anjuli_Bai
Nominee

Post by Anjuli_Bai »

Here are some things to keep in mind whilst buying pointe shoes:

Buying Pointe Shoes

The first person to ask advice is your teacher. She may very well have suggestions as to what style/make of pointe shoe would be appropriate for your feet. So talk to her. Also ask her advice as to what shop to go to. You need to find a shop with a knowledgeable "fitter."

The next thing to remember: Don't Sew On Any Ribbons, Elastics, or wear your shoes (except for the fitting) UNTIL YOU TAKE THE SHOES IN TO SHOW YOUR TEACHER.

If the shoes are messed up - dirty - sewn on - the shop will not take them back.

It is difficult the first few times to find shoes which are right for you since you, as a beginner to this, have little idea how the shoes should feel. That's why you need your teacher's advice and a good experienced fitter at the shop.

How to buy pointe shoes? First of all I would NEVER, EVER – buy them from a catalogue or online, unless I lived perhaps in the wilds of some forest tundra without a store within a 1000 miles. Would you buy any other kind of shoes without trying them on? I wouldn’t……….

I always made a habit of having the clerk bring out every pair of shoes in my size (or close to my size) and style. Every single shoe is different. I found I could eliminate 50% of them before even trying them on.

Line them up in front of you on the floor and just look at them – are the vamps (part of the shoe which covers the faces of the toes) even?

Are the platforms (where you stand when on full pointe) bumpy? The pleating should be as smooth as possible.

Do the platforms go straight across or do they angle off to one side? This will throw the foot off center.

Are the shanks (support along the inside bottom of the shoe) already weak or broken (from other dancers trying them on)? Look at the bottoms of the shoes and see if there is a line across the sole of the shoe which would indicate a break line in the shank.

Are the lasts (the entire length of the shoe) straight? I could really eliminate many just by checking that – if the last is crooked the shoes will throw your feet off center. This usually results in the feet rolling in.

How about the wings (sides)? Are they at a flattering yet supportive level height?

Is the thickness of the shank correct? Or is there too much of a “step” down between the thickness of the shank and the satin of the heel?

Is the sock (inner lining) smooth? A rough or wrinkled sock will abrade your skin.

Now take the shoes in your hands and very gently - VERY GENTLY - bend the shank and see how much resistance there is. There should be resistance. Otherwise the shank may already be weak either from the way it was manufactured or from other dancers trying them on.

When you have the shoes on – make sure you are trying them out on a non-carpeted surface. Standing on a carpet will make quite a difference.

Are the shoes soiled? That's an indication of prior usage.

When you have them on - do they gap anywhere? Are you able to stand on pointe with the entire platform in contact with the floor with your knees straight?

Switch lefts and rights - see how that feels. Pointe shoes (slippers too) have no lefts or rights.

Check the stitching at the seams and see if it is secure (I had one pair pull apart within 15 minutes of wearing them.)

When selecting shoes remember to not only think in size of length but in size of width. Since every pair is constructed differently – sometimes changing one or the other would affect how the shoes fit.

Try to get to the shop without walking too much – especially in warm weather. If you have to walk a great deal this will make your foot swell and will affect the sizing. Wear the same tights you are going to wear to class.

I hope this is of help and congratulations to your daughter.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

DD is a dancer (currently doing a dance diploma) and is lucky enough to have a Saturday job in a dance store..She recently bought her first pointe shoes from the shop she works in and it took a good 20 mins for the fitting..she tried on several pairs and I have to say the fitter was very thorough. She definitely has the right ones and has since been trained in fitting them too. She fitted her first pair (with supervision of course) last weekend.

Definitely not a rush job when it comes to pointe shoes....
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Thanks, Anjuli_Bai and Overspent you have given me some great advice and you are very knowledgeable. I will definately take on board what you suggested. Most girls at my dd's dance school are in Freed and Bloch but our teacher has suggested that my dd tries Porcelli or Gamba (although I think Gamba aren't around any more). My dd has very slim feet and we have a problem getting her school shoes so I know that we really need someone with lots of fitting experience. This is also a massive deal for my dd, who is more excited about earning her pointe shoes than she is about Christmas! We are going on Wednesday and although my dd's teacher isn't able to come with us, she has said that she is going to pop round to our house when we get home. Will let you know how she gets on and thanks again. xxx
Pups_Mum
Nominee

Post by Pups_Mum »

beanie-bean wrote: This is also a massive deal for my dd, who is more excited about earning her pointe shoes than she is about Christmas!
I've no real advice to add to what has already been said, but this made me smile. The first pair of pointe shoes is such a big event - I remember how excited my DD was. I think she slept with them under her pillow when we brought them home, but that would only have been because I wouldn't let her sleep with them on her feet! I hope you both have fun on Wednesday.
Overspent
Nominee

Post by Overspent »

You are more than welcome. Porselli don't have a London shop any more as they are mail order only. There is a Sansha shop on Drury Lane but when we bought shoes in there once the staff didn't do any fitting at all so I had to do it! Luckily they were only split soles. :shock: Have never tried Gamba so can't comment.

Dancia on Drury Lane stock Grishko, Gaynor Minden and Bloch. For several reasons I would avoid Gaynors as a first pair of pointes, not least because your DD will undoubtedly outgrow them before getting her money's worth out of them! It would definitely be worth trying Freed, Bloch and Dancia, then having a bit of a lunch break before deciding. :)

Have fun! My DD also wanted to sleep in her pointe shoes. :)
puck
BRIT Award

Post by puck »

Reading posts about buying first pointe shoes always brings a smile to my face as I remember going to
London armed with a printout of Anjuli's advice many years ago now. After we had brought the shoes we
spent the rest of the day shopping. On arriving home dd was so excited to show her dad and siblings her
prized pointe shoes you can imagine her horror when she couldn't actually fit them on her feet! Thanks
to Anjuli's advice I confidently told her to go to bed and see how they were in the morning as her feet had
probably swollen with all our walking and sure enough next day they were fine!

(I used to post as spooky on ballet.co but have also been a member on here for some time as have one dancing
dd and one acting/MT)
Overspent
Nominee

Post by Overspent »

Hi spooky/puck! :)

Just re-reading the OP - am I right in thinking Gamba's London shop is also closed now? :(
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Yes I think the Gamba has closed down xxx
Overspent
Nominee

Post by Overspent »

Let us know how you get on, won't you! :)
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi...She got them and it was actually easier than I thought. She ended up with Bloch Suprima's in a C fitting. We bought them from Dancia International and Sophie was really helpful. My dd is over the moon \:D/ :mrgreen: Thanks for all your advice. xxx
Overspent
Nominee

Post by Overspent »

Oh brilliant! Will you show them to your DD's teacher before approval? =D>
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

I am a bit embarassed to admit that the ballet bar is now set up in the middle of the lounge and my dd has hardly taken them off her feet. Dance teacher can't get round till Friday now... :oops:
Anjuli_Bai
Nominee

Post by Anjuli_Bai »

I hope your daughter is not going up on pointe. And the elastics and ribbons should not be sewn on until the teacher approves of them. And, they should not be getting soiled. If so - the store will not take them back if they show any use - in case the teacher does not like them.

Pointe should only be done under the supervision of a teacher.

There are also various methods of preparing the shoes and for breaking them in.

It's hard to contain that excitement, I know...(I remember it well!:))....but....