The Voice

Moderator: busybusybusy

Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

The Voice

Post by Welsh Mum »

Just watched my DDs friend on The Voice battle round tonight and she win her battle! She is a lovely girl, has been working hard at her music over the last few years, so if you watch the Voice and like her please vote for Liss Jones when the live shows begin next week =D> =D>
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: The Voice

Post by jennifer1972 »

Oh, she was great!!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I'm very sceptical about the Voice. I've known a few contestants over the time it's been on, and the results seem to be more about pazzaz than vocal ability. In fact, the people who win frequently don't do as well, career wise. I wish your friend the best of luck, but if they don't make it - do NOT worry, just being on the programme is enough to get the good ones work.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I did like her performance but I agree with Paulears and am rather sceptical about the process. I'm pretty sure the judges already know who they are taking though to live shows regardless of how they perform in the battle rounds and knock out rounds. Which reminds me - is there still not another round to go before the live shows? I caught abit last night when they said each time goes from 8 to 3 next week.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

paulears wrote:I'm very sceptical about the Voice. I've known a few contestants over the time it's been on, and the results seem to be more about pazzaz than vocal ability. In fact, the people who win frequently don't do as well, career wise. I wish your friend the best of luck, but if they don't make it - do NOT worry, just being on the programme is enough to get the good ones work.

I agree she has no illusions. But the programme has given her huge exposure already, her you tube stuff now has massive hits. She also has a tour lined up and an album out later in the year. She has been working at her singing quite seriously, but the publicity she has gained from this has made it worth it, think the actual competition is secondary :)
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

I find the program v annoying! It all seems a bit fake! But then I'm a grumpy old woman! I'd hate my dd to go on and noone turn round. I remember when noone turned round for Kerry Ellis!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I quite enjoy it although I'm sure there is a lot of fixing and decisions already made to a certain extent.
I can't remember who was who so wouldn't be able to point anyone out but there was A LOT of pitching issues and shrieking going on last week.... It wasn't pleasant.

However good for her if she's getting positive exposure, why not !, hopefully lots of good things will come her way , it's not something I would want DS to do though.
Last edited by riverdancefan on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

paulears wrote:I'm very sceptical about the Voice. I've known a few contestants over the time it's been on, and the results seem to be more about pazzaz than vocal ability. In fact, the people who win frequently don't do as well, career wise. I wish your friend the best of luck, but if they don't make it - do NOT worry, just being on the programme is enough to get the good ones work.

Agreed - not just the Voice but all of these shows
You have to have a sob story or no one looks twice at you , single Mum, aged Nana , Mum battling cancer , ..... So on and so forth.

The sad music starts and the host grips the contestants knee and gives them a lip quivering look ....
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

riverdancefan wrote:

Agreed - not just the Voice but all of these shows
You have to have a sob story or no one looks twice at you , single Mum, aged Nana , Mum battling cancer , ..... So on and so forth.

The sad music starts and the host grips the contestants knee and gives them a lip quivering look ....
that's why we are so pleased for Liss - no tragedies, happy family, no sob story at all just a hardworking girl with a great voice :)
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

Good luck to her, for what I saw very well deserve =D> =D> =D>
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

I'm so sorry she went out before we had a chance to vote for her Welsh Mum. Rita seems to make some strange decisions chosing untrained contestants over trained. I love Will.i.am's choices though, always interesting :)
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Hecouldshine wrote:I'm so sorry she went out before we had a chance to vote for her Welsh Mum. Rita seems to make some strange decisions chosing untrained contestants over trained. I love Will.i.am's choices though, always interesting :)
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Hecouldshine wrote:I'm so sorry she went out before we had a chance to vote for her Welsh Mum. Rita seems to make some strange decisions chosing untrained contestants over trained. I love Will.i.am's choices though, always interesting :)

Thanks I was disappointed for her. I think Rita's 2 boys are quite weak but she seemed to pick them because she likes them.
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

Yes Rita does make some strange decisions. Big well done to her, she has a great voice and did so well to get so far =D> =D>
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Rita suddenly appeared in 2012 and had a few singles - what on earth gives her any skills in judging others - three years ago she was doing nothing much at all. Her acting career is also pretty sparse. She seems pleasant, but appears to have no experience in many genres she is judging?

Selling a few singles and albums really says nothing much, does it? Nothing negative about her, she seems to do what she does quite well, but hardly a household name amongst the potential field of prospective judges. Image over substance?