Britain's Got Talent

Moderator: busybusybusy

igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Re: Britain's Got Talent

Post by igloobabe »

sophiesocks wrote:sorry i didnt mean to imply they had made fun of your daughter, i was more thinking of the acts that they put through only to tear them down when they are on stage in front of them at the live show / auditions, it just doesnt seem very kind or encouraging, to build somebody up and make them think you think they are good and put them through several rounds only so that there can be some people for the audience to boo, or maybe i am getting the wrong end of the stick about how the audition shows that go on tv work
Yes same here. I was reminded of a lovely young comedian of about 15 a couple of years ago who had the same thing happen to him, we thought he was hilarious, and then he was dragged to that 'holding room' where they then tell everyone in it that they are not going through. Painful, and unnecessary! Your dd is probably far too good for this show.
sparklymommy
BRIT Award

Post by sparklymommy »

My dd auditioned two years on the trot, and was interviewed in the holding room at the tender age of 4. She hasn't auditioned this year and to be honest it is a bit like organised chaos. She enjoyed the auditions, but it was a lot of hassle and I wouldn't necessarily take her along again as it is so stressful for me! She was shown on the telly though, which she enjoyed, but I do think its all abit of a con to be honest... Best way is to go to auditions and do it that way.
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

igloobabe wrote:
sophiesocks wrote:sorry i didnt mean to imply they had made fun of your daughter, i was more thinking of the acts that they put through only to tear them down when they are on stage in front of them at the live show / auditions, it just doesnt seem very kind or encouraging, to build somebody up and make them think you think they are good and put them through several rounds only so that there can be some people for the audience to boo, or maybe i am getting the wrong end of the stick about how the audition shows that go on tv work
Yes same here. I was reminded of a lovely young comedian of about 15 a couple of years ago who had the same thing happen to him, we thought he was hilarious, and then he was dragged to that 'holding room' where they then tell everyone in it that they are not going through. Painful, and unnecessary! Your dd is probably far too good for this show.
Was he a welsh boy and seemed a bit like Frank Spencer ?
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

YES!!!! That's the one! He had big expressive hands, and told a joke about a landlord and a lady customer who ran her hands through his beard, hair etc before announcing that there was no loo paper in the ladies!
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

What do you guys think about this latest story about Ronan Parke? IMO it all adds up, which is why I have not watched a single show this year.
This show is crooked and I think it is bordering on evil to use children in this way.
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

igloobabe wrote:YES!!!! That's the one! He had big expressive hands, and told a joke about a landlord and a lady customer who ran her hands through his beard, hair etc before announcing that there was no loo paper in the ladies!
I know him, his sister is around 15 and she sings now, so he has taken a back seat. I think he is training to be an Architect now but still does a bit on the stage, his mum rights all his material ! :D
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Well good for her! tell him he has some fans here anyway!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I'm quite amazed that parents who do 'proper' auditions find the BGT and X-factor process bad. It's a TV programme that is only really interested in the very worst and the best tiny percentage of the whole number of people who audition. Surely everyone notices that the only people we see are the sad individuals who think they're good - when everyone knows they're awful - and it's the dreadfulness of their auditions and performances that the public love. It's also painfully obvious that the public vote is rarely linked to quality. Indeed, the judges are also working on a policy of taking through some awful acts from the first rounds to liven up the rest.

So if you want to call it rigged, it is. They don't do anything wrong - but their judgements are based on TV ratings, and if they only but the best through, the programme would be terribly dull. They want those entrants who lose their tempers and try to 'beat' the judges.

Anybody who puts their kids into it and is not prepared for them to be made fun of, or prepared for clever editing to show the negative bits should not go in for it. They are auditioned by the team for their talent, their looks, their image and potential to generate large numbers of votes and media coverage. If people don't realise this, it's a shame.

If you have an ugly fat lady, an odd looking male, or a kid who cries all the time - it doesn't matter if they're any good, they'll be seen. Think about the types who we NEVER see audition - if your son or daughter falls into that category, it's not worth going. It's not a talent show, it's a TV programme.
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Sorry but i totally disagree that a programme that only put good acts through would be terribly dull. I used to love Opportunity Knocks as a child and that didn't have anyone in it deliberately put through as a dud. Yes, maybe it would appeal to a different audience ie people who don't get their kicks from laughing at and ridiculing deluded folk, but would that be such a bad thing? There is already enough dross on TV to keep those guys happy as it is!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

If you go to a professional dance or singing audition, or actually just stand outside Pineapple and watch people go in, it's like the jelly mould club. If BGT/X-factor shifted to concentrate on the good people, nobody would remember one from another, and judging would be impossible. If you can't make a news story out of the auditionees, the programme would sink completely. This selection is present in all TV programmes that get ratings success. Ever had to tap an old lady on the arm in the studio audience and tell her she's been selected to watch the recording of the programme in a luxury dressing room with tea, coffee and snacks? The truth was she was unpleasant to look at, so they didn't want her in the audience because they featured heavily. Punting a show that was light on the idiots wouldn't get picked up - because ratings would be poor. You have to remember that this forum is not representative of a typical viewing audience that watch BGT - who DO like to laugh at people's misfortunes. The more obviously untalented people are without realising it, the better the audience like it. This is also why programmes about Katie Price do so well. It's not so much her talent we are watching, but the lack of it. The Jeremy Kyle show features the kind of people that make me cringe - but the ratings keep generating series after series.
Tatty t
GRAMMY Award

Post by Tatty t »

I feel its a shame that reality shows get critised so much - i know several talented children who have been in the final or semi finals of bgt on several different years who have gone on to have sucessful careers , or been offered places in theatre school from this for training etc ,
everyone wants their kids to have that one break that could lead to many other things - or even adults - think of Connie Fisher or Jodie Prenger. Sometimes these reality programmes like bgt help to push a talented child forward. I dont think in any way were the kids made fun of this year in bgt - in fact i think the kids did well - in this business there will always be ups and downs - but to us its our hopes for our children riding on these things - but to producers its just a job.
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

The public just love a freak show and thats what it boils down too, prime example would be little girls that sing like opera stars. its so not right !!!!!
mogs
BAFTA Award

Post by mogs »

I thought there was a complete lack of talent on there this year!!! Don't get me wrong Ronan has a lovely voice but there is one of him in just about every stageschool/theatre group you walk into and yes, the winner (dont even know his name) could sing but so can many other people that I've heard who are doing the pub circuit. Sorry if i sound so negative but to me, the winner of Britains got talent should be something very special-like Paul Potts and Diversity were. This year-i don't think they found it all :( and to me it's because they are spending too much time on these talentless acts. Real talent is not being given a chance to shine. Sorry-moan over :oops:
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Exactly! When did a singer songwriter EVER appear on BGT? Once maybe in last year's series, but mostly it's the same tired old cliched songs and acts - eg little girls singing war songs in wobbly voices, flabby people showing too much flesh while dancing with some kind of kitchen implements, dogs on hind legs, and little boys doing Frank Sinatra/ Michael Jackson/Adele!

YAWN! This show has had its day and needs to be put out to grass!
LolaMckay
Nominee

Post by LolaMckay »

I used to like shows like Britain's Got Talent or American Idle.
Not it got a little bit old.
Maybe i just need to 'have a rest' and then it will be interesting for me again :)