DDs Song

Give us your Feedback and Ideas on Anything!

Moderator: busybusybusy

RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

DDs Song

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Hi everyone,

If any nice NAPM would take a few moments to view DDs song that she wrote and give any positive feedback or comments we would both be very grateful. It's the first time she's ever posted anything on youtube and obviously as she wrote the song she is now doubly nervous.

As am I 8-[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0KylDwWXrY

Thank you
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: DDs Song

Post by Flosmom »

Well done to her! That's a super song and she sings it very well. =D> =D> =D>

We love encouraging young people to create their own music. My Flo was inspired by igloobabe's DD - it's worth listening to some of her work if you get chance.

Good luck - Does she have any ideas about how he would like it arranged and produced?

Deb x
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Thank you so much Flosmum,

My dd likes your dds voice too. We both thought that she has a good strong voice, a pleasure to listen to. O:)

How do you go about arranging and producing your dds songs?

xx
Last edited by RoseTowers4 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Thats really kind of you.

i know nothing about songwriting, producing and arranging, so Flo found herself a mentor who has taught her a lot about structuring her songs and supports her to work with a producer in the studio to get an interesting arrangement. I can see how she is developing from song to song. She is taking more control over her sound as time goes on and she understands what is possible. The people she works with are incredibly patient with her and generous with their time.

As I have taken a few steps into this world I'm learning that there are a lot of studios and producers who work commercially with artists to help them to record their music. Sometimes they charge a fee, sometimes they take a % of the rights (assuming the song is registered via PRS etc, which could be a good idea), sometimes a bit of both. So my advice - if you want to take this road - would be to google, meet people, find out what they can do, what the quality of their work is and how they expect to be paid. But be aware that there is a massive potential to get ripped off, so proceed with caution and shop around until you find someone who you feel comfortable with and who isn't asking for lots of money or asking you to sign away your rights.

Alternatively, you can download software onto any reasonable laptop that allows you to make your own arrangements and even record your tracks in a home studio. I know people can get fab results this way at very minimal cost and your DD may enjoy experimenting with sounds and arrangements too. Flo's mentor has encouraged her to do this because, even if she decides to go into a studio for the final recording, she has a better idea of what she wants and makes better use of the studio time if she has worked some ideas through herself first.

Hope this helps - but please beware of people who promise lots of quick wins if you pay lots of money. We have been approached by plenty of them since Flo started to put her music on line and got some attention for it. It's a strange and not always terribly pleasant world, so keep your wits about you and don't sign anything you don't understand.

Good luck - let us know how you get on, and feel free to come along to The Living Room in MK next time Flo plays there (sometime in the next couple of months I think...) to share experiences.

Deb x
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

Well done to your DD! =D>
She has a great voice and I love her hair :D
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Really lovely :D
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Thank you so much SNN and Livvyvicky for your lovely comments. :D It is so nice to have positive feedback from this forum.

Flosmum - you're absolutely right and I will make sure we read anything thoroughly if anything should come her way in the future. I guess she's just at the beginning of the journey into songwriting so any advice is brilliant.

Let me know when you're in The Living Room and we will definitely come along. It would be lovely to meet up. :D
Last edited by RoseTowers4 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
supamum
BAFTA Award

Post by supamum »

I watched this the other evening when I was at my sisters, so it was a quick 5 mins before I went to sleep so didn't have time to reply, Jodie my eldest heard it while she was going to sleep and asked who it was saying she's really good. I really loved it, what a beautiful voice, please tell her well done from us. Megan has got into song writing in the last year and really would love to learn how to put it all together, she has been very lucky to win tickets on the eurostar to paris in a talent show singing her song but sang it acapella, would love to be able to get her in a studio one day, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start. Good luck to your DD in this new venture, will get Megan to add her on her utube channel, I know she would love to hear it. =D> :D
supamum
BAFTA Award

Post by supamum »

Just clicked back on the link, have left her a message on utube and subscribed to her channel under Megans utube name crazymegsify :D
letitshine
GRAMMY Award

Post by letitshine »

Wonderful, you have a very talented song writer and singer xx :D
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Thanks supamum and letitshine. It's so fantastic to get such positive comments.

Supamum, I'm like you. I think we'll have to follow Flosmum advice about recording songs in studios etc. as it's a completely unknown area to me.
Last edited by RoseTowers4 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

supamum wrote: would love to be able to get her in a studio one day, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start.
If we can be any help feel free to ask. I'm reluctant to make recommendations because what suits one person may not work for another, but Flo and I are happy to share our experiences, good and bad and let you know who Flo has worked with.

Last week, Flo went along to an 'artist development programme' summer school that included songwriting and advice on performing as a singer. She was by far the youngest there - it was aimed more at mid to upper teens but Flo has plenty of experience so she wasn't out of her depth. One of the highlights was working with a young man who is doing very well in this years' X Factor but his auditione etc havent been screened yet so we're not allowed to say more. :lol:

At the end of the week they were included in a performance at a local pub gig. This was a great opportunity for them to practice what they had learnt because the audience weren't all appreciative parents. Flo sang one of her own songs, which went down well, and 99 Red Balloons which I think she was given because she would have to 'fill' the instrumental breaks. It wasn't her best vocal performance, but she had a lot of fun with it which is doubly amazing because at the end of her previous song she struggled to get the mike off the stand and ended up bashing herself in the mouth with it :shock: . She drew blood, but her teeth are still all there.

Anyway, here's a link to a very duff recording I made, just to share with you - hope it makes you smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zYBTK2gN80

I understand that there will be another 'school' happening during the October half term, so if you'd like me to share the details with you, just let me know.

Advice from me about songwriting (and I know very little...) is to keep it real. Write from experience. Write your own stories. That way, when you perform them, you'll be telling your story to the audience and there's a chance that you'll be giving them something new and fresh to listen to. There are a lot of artists out there who are trying to be 'the next Jessie J' or 'the next Adele'. But - in my opinion - it's much better to be the first you. That's why I like igloobabe's DDs work - she is very authentic.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer.

Deb x
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

And as of by magic, I've had a message from igloobabe with an update about her DDs work.

Here's a link to some of her songs:.

http://www.reverbnation.com/lucyh?profi ... rofile_box

Shame and Freefalling are her latest songs. Love Me Back is the one that introduced us to L's work and inspired Flo.

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Deb x
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Brilliant - just shows how one child can spark the imagination and talent of another.

Well done girls :)

Would love to hear them sing a duet
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Well done to her, that's great. Really creative lyrics too - she's a talented poet as well as a performer.