The Reunion

A place to review Radio plays, Audio Books etc.

Moderator: busybusybusy

bcnups
GRAMMY Award

The Reunion

Post by bcnups »

I don't know how many Mums on here listen to Radio Four (I'm an addict) but The Reunion is a programme bringing together people from certain events in recent history. I believe the next one covers the concept, production etc of Les Miserables. Should be of interest to all those interested in musical theatre.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: The Reunion

Post by riverdancefan »

I am also a radio 4 addict, and addicted to the ARCHERS and have been for 15 years :D
I listen to the Reunion and heard the Les Mis ONE, excellent, I have listened to many, from Dunblane, to banning of foxhunting, the Playschool one was FAB
recommended on podcast for everyone \:D/
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
bcnups
GRAMMY Award

Post by bcnups »

So pleased to find another Radio Four fan. the Reunion series is excellent. I thought Les Mis was great, and hadn't realised how bad the initial reviews were. Twenty five years later and now look! I also enjoyed the founding of Stonewall, and the sad but heroic coverage of The Herald of Free Enterprise sinking. I thought the fox hunting one still rankled on both sides. I remember Dunblane, too. TBH Radio Four is an absolute must for me, because daytime television can be dire.
BTW To-day's play at 2.15 p.m.was Strangers on a Film, which depicted Raymond Chandler (script writer) and Alfred Hitchcock (director) collaborating on Patricia Highsmith's Strangers on a Train. You could see both points of view, where Chandler wanted to be faithful to the material, and Hitchcock was interested in the visuals, with little regard for the original story. Lovely stuff. Ever since I read William Goldman's (painfully honest and majorly critical) book on writing screenplays in Hollywood, I've been interested in the process.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

The Reunion is such a great concept and I have found every episode and subject matter fascinating. My mornings without the Today programme would be like my bread without butter !
I also enjoy You and Yours.
One of my most treasured possessions, (and I am NOT materialistic) is my CD box set of the Radio 4 Lord of the Rings dramatisation .....just perfect :D
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
bcnups
GRAMMY Award

Post by bcnups »

Did you listen to the new season of the Reunion on Sunday 7 April? It featured the actors and director of the first Dr. Who episode which went out on 23 November 1963. It was a real pleasure to hear them talk about William Hartnell (and later Patrick Troughton). Some achievement for the format to have lasted fifty years.