Two Gents - Taming of the Shrew

A place to review Stage productions

Moderator: busybusybusy

francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Two Gents - Taming of the Shrew

Post by francescasmum »

On Saturday we went to our local village hall and watched a two man show of Taming of the Shrew. I was breath taking. No props (except a chair occasionally), no costumes, no scenery. This is one of the few Shakespeare plays we didn't know anything about. So I Googled it before we went to get an idea, but they were so good that it was easy to understand, despite two actors playing over 10 characters and often swapping, so that both actors played the same character during one scene, it was very easy to follow. They were fun, informative and occasionally 'stopped' the play to check everyone was up to speed, to recap and revise the mannerisms of the characters. There were only about 30 in the audience, including several children but everyone was totally engaged. They even had audience members as characters who were referred to during a scene but had no lines or action.
The company is called Two Gents, though it was actually one gent and one lady and they have spent some time at the Globe presenting this and Two Gentlemen of Verona. They are touring with this show and are embarking on presenting every Shakespeare play in order over the next two years.
Our local county council are funding 'Arts in Rural Communities' which is why they can to a tiny village hall in the middle of East Yorkshire. I would highly recommend that you go and see them if they come near you.
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Re: Two Gents - Taming of the Shrew

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Sounds fabulous! They don't seem to be appearing near us unfortunately - my A level theatre studying DD would've LOVED this. Will bookmark their page for future so ta for the heads up Francescasmum x