Fences

A place to review Stage productions

Moderator: busybusybusy

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Fences

Post by riverdancefan »

Last week my DS and DH went to see this as part of Kids week..
I was supposed to be going but couldn't make it so had to hand the baton over [-( :(

Initially DS struggled a little with the accent and the speed of the delivery of the lines, however when he got to grips with it - he absolutely loved it, thought the acting was superb, DH was equally enthusiastic and very pleased he went instead!!

I try to give DS as much experience of theatre as possible and as cheaply as possible :D :D
this could range from one man shows at the top of a pub, to a big jazz-hand production, when this was available on KW I was over the moon!
Initially reluctant to go - DS had an absolute ball and was very appreciative of the skill of the whole cast!

A mention about the little girl - they both said she was amazing!! - there is a team of three young girls in Fences and they are not sure which one it was that night, but they went on Thursday 22nd - just in case someone knows her ....WELL DONE to her for a great job and a great voice!

DS is 13, I wouldn't recommend it for younger, the theatre doesn't , but he was familiar with the storyline and plot before he went in..

THUMBS UP FOR FENCES

only downer I might add was getting onto the lift at Covent Garden, fiendishly busy as usual, DH was pushed from behind and bumped into the guy in front. My DH is no lightweight ;) but a kinder more gentle guy you couldn't wish to meet. he apologised to the guy only to be told by the arrogant American tourist in a very loud voice , that "if he wasn't so disgustingly obese, more people might get into the lift"

It really upset him, more than I expected it too.... so rude and arrogant!
The guy in question scurried off and away once he got out of the station, good thing as if my hubby had chosen to chase him and sit on him he would have suffocated - and good riddance!!!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
SNN
BAFTA Award

Re: Fences

Post by SNN »

riverdancefan wrote:only downer I might add was getting onto the lift at Covent Garden, fiendishly busy as usual, DH was pushed from behind and bumped into the guy in front. My DH is no lightweight ;) but a kinder more gentle guy you couldn't wish to meet. he apologised to the guy only to be told by the arrogant American tourist in a very loud voice , that "if he wasn't so disgustingly obese, more people might get into the lift"

It really upset him, more than I expected it too.... so rude and arrogant!
The guy in question scurried off and away once he got out of the station, good thing as if my hubby had chosen to chase him and sit on him he would have suffocated - and good riddance!!!
Wow! That's an extremely horrible thing to say, especially since the guy is a guest in our country. We could easily ban him and all tourists from coming at all. And to top it all off, he comes from a country full of obese and unhealthy people.
I hope your DH feels better about it, weight and looks means nothing, it's what's inside that counts.
Too bad he got away, but what goes around comes around........
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Post by possiblypushy »

That's just horrible, really horrible. I can't imagine why someone would actually say something like that outloud, that's not normal behaviour, even for an arrogant American (and most I've met are super-polite). I hope your dh feels better about this soon - he sounds like a diamond :D .
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Total ignorance!! Just ignore it :(

Glad the show was good - not seen that one. Sounds like it might be beyond my DCs but one for me.