All's Well That Ends Well - RSC Stratford

A place to review Stage productions

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

All's Well That Ends Well - RSC Stratford

Post by Hecouldshine »

We were stunned by the RSC's new Stratford theatre. We didn't manage a theatre tour this time but I would love to understand the architecture and influences. It looks like a clever mix of Elizabethan and modern!

The play opens with a nightclub scene, which was great for attracting the attention of my two. It's not quite clear in what period the play is set, but think Second World War or after. There is a tricky scene about virginity between Parolles and Helena early on and I am pleased to say the actors Jonathan Slinger and Joanna Horton get us through it with great skill and some humour. After that I could relax about what my dd and ds would think and just enjoy myself! Alex Waldmann, as Bertram, is deliciously naughty but his journey to maturity through the play was wonderful. I don't remember getting that from the last production of All's Well I saw many moons ago.

And to our NAPM member! Son of pg commands his own scene, when, as chief interpreter soldier, he prises confession after confession from the hapless Parolles. He has that wonderful ability to make Shakespeare's centuries old language seem everyday and accessible (of course most of the RSC have that ability, but you can see that son of pg has definitely found his place!). His voice and actions carry and project clearly. HE HAS STAGE PRESENCE! So hopefully we will see him in bigger and bigger roles - he understudies Parolles, and I would have loved to see him play Parolles. My only concern for pg, speaking as a doctor and mother, is that her son appears to smoke his cigarette on stage in this scene rather too expertly!

BTW, for anyone going to Stratford, be warned: the shop stocks an amazing quantity of Matilda stuff - badges, mugs, T shirts, songbook, etc, so we came away £35 poorer! But full marks to the RSC for making tickets for the children half price! =D> =D> =D>
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: All's Well That Ends Well - RSC Stratford

Post by riverdancefan »

great review!

Well done to Son of PG =D> =D> =D> - it's easy to forget that PG who is so generous with her knowledge is a mum to a performing child, albeit he is all grown up!!. So she feels exactly the same as we do/have/will do !

well done to son of and to PG for supporting him!! \:D/ =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Great review :)

Glad you enjoyed it.

... and thanks to riverdancefan too.

I read the small print :(

Alas, the expert nature of the smoking is through practice :( He used to be so anti-smoking too...

I really wish he would give up but - (from :oops: experience) I think smokers only give up when they are ready to, not when someone urges them to. I finally gave up the "occasional one" many years ago when I guiltily admitted that I had had one to one of my offspring and he CRIED <narrows eyes at Son of PG>.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Thanks riverdancefan, thanks pg :D
pg wrote:He used to be so anti-smoking too...

I finally gave up the "occasional one" many years ago when I guiltily admitted that I had had one to one of my offspring and he CRIED <narrows eyes at Son of PG>.
How dare he. <Also narrows eyes at Son of PG, then puts half moon glasses on to glare at him over the top of them> [-X
riverdancefan wrote: - it's easy to forget that PG who is so generous with her knowledge is a mum to a performing child, albeit he is all grown up!!. So she feels exactly the same as we do/have/will do !
You are so right riverdancefan. We are very lucky to have pg support us on here with her double experience as a performer herself, as well as mother to a performer ds (and not forgetting her dd who trained in music!). Thanks pg :D :D :D

Good Luck in your career Son of PG :D <half moon glasses go back on> but give up the smoking!
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Great review - love it :)

Well done to PGDS?! And to Pg of course - we do forget that you've also been through all this before, and still do to some extent, even through he's a 'grown up' now.
Humph
GRAMMY Award

Post by Humph »

What a wonderful review pg for your big ds . \:D/