Avenue Q - Upstairs at the Gatehouse

A place to review Stage productions

Moderator: busybusybusy

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Avenue Q - Upstairs at the Gatehouse

Post by riverdancefan »

http://www.upstairsatthegatehouse.com/S ... 0page.html

We went to see this revival off-Westend Thursday..
TBH I have heard the songs so much as DS plays them over and over, that I was kind of dreading it... but...

It was utterly fantastic, I have not laughed so much in ages, my hubby was picked on by Trekkie monster during the Internet song :shock: :shock: , not sure why ? ;) but I could hardly breathe I was laughing so much!

It works so well in a smaller more intimate theatre (which was sold out), the skill and talent of the cast was clear and the creatives from the original run on Broadway and WE were heavily involved.

If you can go , please do as you will leave happy and smiley !..an you can pop into the dim sum restaurant almost next door, or have a lovely meal in the pub downstairs too.

as ever , there is some references to sex and swearing but my 12 soon to be 13 year old had no problem as the context is comedy, and two puppets having sex was one of the funniest ever scenes!

I really do recommend this for anyone who wants reasonably priced tickets and a good belly laugh where people don't take themselves so seriously as they SO often do in MT \:D/
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Re: Avenue Q - Upstairs at the Gatehouse

Post by CatKat_0 »

Hiya - is there a suitable age range or do you recommend adults only for this one?
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I would say 12 plus..
There is a scene with puppets having sex, but it is very funny and there is singing at the same time so it is in context of a funny song
And also the Internet song... Have a google and see what you think..
It's all on YouTube
There were lots of young teens in the audience but no younger

X
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

We saw it on your. I booked tickets because dh really wanted to see it thinking it wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. I was so wrong, it was hilarious.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

islandofsodor wrote:We saw it on your. I booked tickets because dh really wanted to see it thinking it wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. I was so wrong, it was hilarious.
so pleased you liked it - if I had the time I would have seen it again - just so funny!!! :D
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Any Herts based residents who fancy seeing a good amateur performance of this please let me know, L is playing 'Lucy The Slut' and her puppet is amazing!

It's on 28th September, at another very small venue called Gable hall in Berkhamsted (Princes St) but there are only 16 tickets left!