As You Like It - RSC Stratford

A place to review Stage productions

Moderator: busybusybusy

pg
OSCAR Award

As You Like It - RSC Stratford

Post by pg »

There was a lot to enjoy in this production. Lots of music, songs and dance and high energy. Some very strong performances too.

I didn't enjoy it as much as Hamlet and I found it a little bit slow to start - all the business at court seemed rather heavy going and there were some (to my mind) strange bits of choreography going on which I found distracting and I didn't think added much.

On the other hand: once they had all reached the Forest of Arden (with a delightful,atmospheric set transformation) it all became much more enjoyable and there were plenty of laughs along the way. It was lovely to see DS with a bit more to do in a part that suited him down to the ground. His pairing with Phoebe (a terrific Natalie Klamar) was a joy from start to finish. Robin Soans (who was so impressive as Polonius) was transformed into a wonderful Corin.

Worth seeing, certainly, but if I had to choose as a non-parent audience member between Hamlet and As You Like It I would choose Hamlet - despite many of the critics' opinions. As Mum though (not a pushy one, obviously ;) ) this one was great!

Not only that, but we were allowed to go the party afterwards too :D .