TOP HAT - the Aldwych

A place to review Stage productions

Moderator: busybusybusy

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

TOP HAT - the Aldwych

Post by riverdancefan »

Hello
DS and I went to see this last Friday on the last night of kids week, we have seen many shows via Kid's week over the years, warhorse, wicked, Billy Elliot, Avenue Q to name a few
I really want him to see many types of MT, both old , traditional MGM Busby-type shows as well as the modern stuff, I think it will be invaluable for his future as a MT performer to see the differing choreography and sample the songs we all know and love from my generation.
Plus he is a great tapper, and there is tapping a-plenty in this production.
I though it was wonderful , funny, endearing with superb presentation from all the leads, even it it was a little kitsch in places, that added to the appeal.
The costumes were beautiful and it was a slick production.
My 12 year old did enjoy it, some of the jokes went over his head as they clearly would for his age group, but he didn't fidget and laughed alot.
He really appreciated the choreography and decided he wants to do a little ballroom as "he needs the skill" (sorry mate can't fit another thing in)
Of course he would prefer Wicked or Matilda and he did say that, but it was 45 quid well spent, for a great evening and a learning curve for a child serious about MT - recommended!!

On a personal note I am heartily sick of the constant pop song tribute shows and I cannot wait for Mama Mia to close as well, let some fresh new stuff take a turn - Soho Cinders for example, and revive the old classics like 42 Street, with fresh eyes!!
AND
I am SO happy about JCS going to the WE, I really don't want to see it at a stadium, but cannot wait to see it again at a theatre!!!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
emypeach
BRIT Award

Re: TOP HAT - the Aldwych

Post by emypeach »

We were also there on Friday! I thought it was an incredible production and DD absolutely LOVED the tap and reallly appreciated the choreography!

E x
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I was sitting behind the woman who wheezed, coughed and spluttered through the whole of the first half
and spoke loudly to her hubby to get her tissues/murray mints/lemsips and inhaler
I could feel the bugs infecting me....
then we moved seats!! \:D/ \:D/
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

Sounds great. We have missed this one but I couldn't agree more about bringing back a few of the old classic musicals.

We went to see Kiss Me Kate at Chichester Festival this summer and it was a breath of fresh air! Hannah Waddingham was incredible - it is so rare to combine an amazing vocal will brilliant comic acting! Also, if it is tapping you are after you will have to go a long way to beat Adam Garcia as Bill.
I believe that it is heading for the West End soon so book your tickets!

Has JCS been confirmed for the West End?
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

As far as I know Mamma Mia is just moving to the Novello a smaller theatre!! And is being replaced at The Prince of Wales by ' Let it Be ', that sounds like Beatles tribute to me!!

Took my dd to see Singing in The Rain for kids week and she loved it. Its good to appreciate different styles. Great show. :D
Bring it on!!!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Dancing DD and non dancing DS did the Kidsweek workshop for Top Hat last year and it was superb. If it is still on next summer try and do it. It was a chance to learn a routine from the show. The better tappers did harder bits but my son had never done tap and doesn't do any dance lessons and he learned loads and had a great time. He was the only boy and I was so proud I nearly cried when I watched! The people running the workshop were lovely and made him welcome even though he did not have tap shoes or know how to tap. He danced well and fitted into the group choreography. We watched the routine and it was impressive plus they worked on the real stage with the choreographers from the show. DD is a good tapper and she enjoyed it too and had a decently challenging tap routine to learn in a short time. I would thoroughly recommend this and it made watching the show even better. It is a great show and definitely one of the most spectacular in terms of sets and costumes I have seen - great fun and enjoyed by my 11, 13 and 15 yr olds. We bought the old movie for xmas and it is fab. Also think it is good for DCs to see a range of shows, especially DD who would like to do MT. The leads have now changed so hopefully their replacements are just as good.
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

This guy plays Horace Hardwick - his little girl came to my classes for 2 years and he came with her a few times, he was really good fun! Saw him in Yes Prime Minister - he played Bernard.

http://www.tophatonstage.com/cast/clive-hayward/
shineonstage
BRIT Award

Post by shineonstage »

Went to see this yesterday and was very impressed with the set design and score. The audiences' reaction was well deserved!
I'd do anything, for this part, anything, for this means everything to me!
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Saw this on Tuesday and loved every second of it. We got the understudies Alan Burkitt as Jerry Travers and Charlie Bull as Dale Tremont and they were so good, Alan Burkitt especially =D> =D> =D> I am very fussy about dancers but these 2 were fantastic. Much as I like Tom Chambers, I was put off seeing the show while he was in it as he wasn't a trained dancer.
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
Dwafffamily
BAFTA Award

Post by Dwafffamily »

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this show. I wasn't expecting to like it but the music was lovely, routines were well done and the comedy timing of Alberto Beddini had us in stiches :D

I thought the whole cast were very strong indeed and not one person was carried along by some of the others, would definitely recommend people watch it before its run finishes.
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Finally got to see this on tour this year. What a fab show. My dd does tap and latin and ballroom so was very pleased to see bits of both in this wonderful show. \:D/
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Top Hat is probably DS & DD's fave musical ever! We saw it with Tom Chambers - I have say he was superb - the man was born to dance if you ask me :)