Sweeney Todd

A place to review Stage productions

Moderator: busybusybusy

amanda
GRAMMY Award

Sweeney Todd

Post by amanda »

Wow!!! This is a must see !
We were lucky enough to get tickets for the first preview last night and it is wonderful.
The staging is incredible - It works on 3 levels for much of the time so you are drawn to watch action all over the stage.
Michael Ball was amazing. I had no idea that he was capable of such a dark restrained performance. Imelda Staunton was a perfect Mrs Lovett - Fantastic comic timing combined with surprizing vulnerability.
It was a truly stunning show and, to top off a wonderful night we saw the Great Stephen Sondheim at the stage door! \:D/
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: Sweeney Todd

Post by riverdancefan »

We are supposed to be seeing this at EAster, some of our friends children are coming to stay from Scotland and this one is on the to do list, one of my favourite musicals and I am so looking forward to it!
What a fantastic night to go see it !
And to see the great man himself must have been the icing on the cake !
Thanks for posting :D
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Cant wait! Planning to get day seats. Michael Ball is incredibly talented.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Thanks for the review Amanda... We're seeing this in April and I just can't wait now!
BeingAlive27
Nominee

Post by BeingAlive27 »

Saw it last week and it is one of the best West End productions I've ever seen. Imelda Staunton and Michael Ball are flawless, and the ensemble overall is very strong. The stageing is spectacular; I particularly liked how there was always someone lurking in a corner onstage. Only drawback is that the Adelphi is a really cavernous theatre. Even in row H in the Dress Circle, I felt miles away. I think it's probably worth it to shell out a bit more for better seats for a Sweeney Todd this good.
katmandu
BRIT Award

Post by katmandu »

Went to press night on Tuesday and it was amazingly brilliant. However, we were in Row A of Royal Circle - £35 seats, but fantastic view of set and didn't feel too far away at all. Thoroughly recommend it.
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Does anyone know how many day seats one person can get at the Adelphi?
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Hiya

DD and her friends went to watch this last night ...said it was AMAZING!!!!
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
londontheatrefan
Nominee

Post by londontheatrefan »

@JTBmum - you can get 2 Day seats per person I think...my partner went a lined up early for us to get them a few weeks ago. To be honest, we didn't have the best seats. Usually with day seats you get good seats near the front, but sadly for this they were right at the back of the stalls.
The front row (which are day seats) are also a little bit too close to see everything. Choose these over the back of the stalls though (IMO) as you will have a much better time.

Maybe it is worth spending a little more (day seats were still 25 pounds each!) and buying good seats. There are some deals around as it isn't selling as well now the initial rush has died down.

Reviews have been really positive on the whole, although the odd newspaper picked holes. Their website actually features reviews from blogs which is a new touch, but is interesting that they seem to like it aswell. http://www.sweeneytodd.co.uk/reviews/

Has anyone else seen a Sondheim show before?

@katmandu - thanks for your tip on the Royal Circle. I would probably rather pay 10pound more and have a good seat rather than at the back if I do go again (and I really hope to!) Comedian Jason Manford is joining the cast very soon so he will be worth seeing it again for!
shineonstage
BRIT Award

Post by shineonstage »

went to see this one last monday and was amazed at the incredible performance by the entire cast and especially as mentioned previously, imelda's witty mrs lovett
I'd do anything, for this part, anything, for this means everything to me!
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

Just a quick update about Sweeney.

Last Saturday we saw the final night of the West Yorkshire Playhouse production of this fabulous musical before its transfer to Manchester Royal Exchange. James Brining has produced an amazing piece of work. A brilliantly clever adaptation managed to set the story in the early 1980s (it shouldn't work but it does!)
Gillian Bevan was a wonderful Mrs Lovett and David Birrell was a dark and dangerous Sweeney. The whole production is tense and menacing with the ensemble creating a spinechilling sense of insanity from the earliest moments of the show.
The West Yorkshire Playhouse is very lucky to have Brining as artistic director. I can't wait for his next production.