Journey's End

A place to review Stage productions

Moderator: busybusybusy

Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Journey's End

Post by Nicola »

If ANYONE is near a theatre where this is going to be on, I'd wholeheartedly recommend a visit. The dates and locations are on the following link:

http://journeysendtheplay.com/2011-tour/2011-tour/

We had front row seats for the matinee performance on Saturday and were all left emotional wrecks when the curtain went down. I’m sure the actors probably thought we were all quite mad, but it was the most moving piece of theatre we had ever seen. The set was incredibly evocative and the acting was amazing. Of course, reading the programme afterwards, the story became even more poignant when I realised the significance of the date on a global scale (it is set just before the German spring offensive, when 38,000 British soldiers were killed within the space of 5 hours during WW1) – to think that individual stories like that were playing out all over Northern France is just heart-breaking.

I’m embarrassed to say I’d never heard of the play before we arrived, because having seen it, it feels like it should be a classic text – but it turns out this is a revival production and the play was written by a WW1 veteran and first performed in 1928.

I understand that the play is now a set text for GCSE – and if that's the case, a visit to the show should be on the curriculum, both from an English literature point of view AND from the historical context. It really brought the Great War to life to haunting effect.
xebonykissesx
GRAMMY Award

Re: Journey's End

Post by xebonykissesx »

As mentioned, i read this play at GCSE and i loved it!
Would have really liked to have seen it, especially because of your recommendation but sadly none of the venues are near me except brighton, but im not back in time! :(
*The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. Stand your ground for freedom, beauty, truth, and love.* - Moulin Rouge
VarsMum
Nominee

Post by VarsMum »

The Stage have a competition to win tickets for this:

http://www.thestage.co.uk/win/detail.ph ... d-in-april

Terms and conditions
This competition’s terms and conditions
1.Tickets valid for first night performances at venues from Bath to High Wycombe
Terms and conditions for all competitions
1.The competition is open to UK residents only. Employees of The Stage or any other organisation or agency involved with this competition are ineligible for entry.
2.The competition organisers may use the winner's name and image and their comments relating to the prize and competition experience in promotional material.
3.One entry per person. Multiple entries will be disqualified.
4.Entry is by personal use of the web form below only, except where specified. Entries made by third parties and/or automated systems may be disqualified at the organiser's discretion.
5.The winner will be chosen at random from all correct entries provided.
6.Prizes are strictly non-transferable and non-exchangable. No cash alternative.
7.The competition closes at 05:00 PM on 15 April 2011. Winners will be notified by email after this date.
8.The competition organiser's decision is final.

Good Luck all
doris
GRAMMY Award

Post by doris »

Nicola wrote:it feels like it should be a classic text
Been a school text for quite a while - I did it for O level in the 1980s .... :shock:
But it was not taught in a way to make me appreciate its significance at the time. Would have been brililant to see it performed. I think schools do so much more nowadays to help children understand WW1 properly =D>
sXOX
GRAMMY Award

Post by sXOX »

i saw this at the richmond theatre - was truly great!
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Did you cry?! I wept buckets!!!
sXOX
GRAMMY Award

Post by sXOX »

i didnt actually (which is extremely unsual for me!) but thats only beacause ive seen so many productions of it i knew what was about to happen - i was definetly on the verge of it though!!! i would definitely recommend this to anyone!!
LivingTheDream
BRIT Award

Post by LivingTheDream »

My dd is crazy about this show- she studied it for her GCSE Drama and played 'Raleigh' in a school production of it. My dh took her to see it in on the final night if the UK tour last November in Nottingham and she absolutely loved it. She cried so much even though she knew the story inside out and could recite the script along with the cast!