Auditioning again?

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mandyb
Nominee

Auditioning again?

Post by Mandyb »

Hi
My little one has got to the final stages of several west end musicals this year but then lost out right at the end. Is it worth going to audition for the same shows
again next time or once you’ve had a no even if it was right at the end is that it?
We are new to this do would love to know others experiences
Thank you!
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning again?

Post by ACookie »

Most of them will call you back if they still think your child has potential for the show, as in still under height limit and with the right skills.
Some ask you not to apply again if you've had a 'no', they'll contact you if they want to see your child, but I don't think onyone really takes any notice of that!
I would say at least 50% of children I know had to audition more than once for the same show before being cast.
So in short if your child would like another go, then I'd apply again!
For what it's worth my DD auditioned 4 times before she was cast - twice she was too young really and they just were interested for future, 3rd time she was ready but only 1 space available for her role and other good kids had been in the process longer and 4th time lucky!!
Mandyb
Nominee

Post by Mandyb »

That’s brilliant thank you
I think she will definitely try again for at least one of them.
On a firm hold for another one at the moment (whatever that really means) so we will wait and see what happens!
It’s a confusing world!!
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

I would definitely say try again if your child has been getting to finals. DS has been in two long-running WE shows and both times he was cast on his second attempt at audition; it is very common for children to audition more than once for a particular show before being cast.

The etiquette of applying to audition again varies depending on which casting director you are dealing with. Jessica Ronane tends to keep children "on file" for Matilda (and previously for School of Rock), and invites them back again to the next recast if they show promise but perhaps need more time to develop their skills or to grow into the right height or age for a role. However unless a child is invited back to the next set of auditions, submitting them again yourself is usually not worth it as they won't be offered another audition (though they may be invited by the same CD to audition for other shows in the future).

In my experience, most other children's casting directors (e.g. Jo Hawes for Les Mis) usually don't keep tabs on children who've auditioned previously and invite them back to the next recast, but tend to rely on fresh submissions at each set of auditions. For anyone other than Jessica Ronane, I would strongly suggest reapplying yourself (or via agent) if your child wants to try again, rather than waiting to be invited back. There is a limit to how many times it would be sensible let a child audition repeatedly for the same show if they're not getting anywhere, but trying again at least once is very reasonable, especially for a child who has got as far as finals.
Last edited by FredaBloggs on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandyb
Nominee

Post by Mandyb »

Thank you that’s really helpful
Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pandora II »

Agree with everything above.

My DD got cast at her second set of finals for one show, and has been asked back many times for other shows.

Often it’s height or age and they will tell you at the cut that they’d like to see you in 6 months/ at next recast - happened to us with Matilda, School of Rock and Poppins.

If you are out at very early rounds for Matilda/SoR then they generally won’t see you again unless there’s something different (musician going for singer in SoR or vice versa). But for the others, as long as you fit all criteria then worth another shot.

It can feel like it takes forever to get that first one - especially if you are getting very close, but it’s also worth managing children’s expectations if they are cast and the go up for another show. DD made finals for the next two things she was up for and it was a nasty bump back to Earth when she wasn’t cast in either. Good life lessons for this industry but painful!

Good luck to your DD!