Dealing with no

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Knic
BRIT Award

Dealing with no

Post by Knic »

So dd had her first face to face casting Saturday. She was very positive about it and felt she done great, the cd double high fived her, said wow and told dd she smashed it. Of course this made dd even happier and hopeful.

Today i saw on another agency’s site that one of the children they represent has been recalled for what dd cast for on Saturday. Dd obviously wasn’t what they were looking for, of course we are prepared for the all the no’s to come however I am just wondering how you deal with telling your children they haven’t got through. Dd is of course waiting for news about the casting... Should I tell dd when she asks, or should I tell her before about what I know? Newbie mum here dealing with lots of mixed emotions so any advice helpful :)
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Re: Dealing with no

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

I always tell DS as soon as I know, anything else feels dishonest to me. Often though we just never hear again and assume its a no...

DS is pretty pragmatic. Most of the no's don't even touch the sides any more but sometimes if he really wantes it and got close it can be harder. But it still comes down to the fact that you can be the best actor in the room and not get the job because you don't look how they imagined the part to be. Once DC understood that he now takes pretty much all decisions as arbitrary even if they go in his favour, which is a good thing for not getting cocky or bragging about stuff. Sure you have to work hard and make sure you are 'good enough' and getting recalls and good feedback tells you that, but after that it's pretty much random since you don't know what they want.

Well done on the great feedback! =D>
And chin up. There are a lot more no's than yeses out there - certainly in our world there are - so know that next time she will have a really good audition experience behind her to help her going forwards.
Knic
BRIT Award

Post by Knic »

Thank you so much for replying. Your advice is very helpful. I decided to be honest and she seems ok with it, tho my husband wasn’t helpful in saying maybe she didn’t need to be recalled and has gone straight on to the yes/maybe pile!!!

Anyway she said it’s fine and she was grateful for the experience bless her, tho I can tell she is disappointed which is to be expected. I said to her we will probably hear a lot of nos before a yes but as long as she enjoys the experience then that’s the important thing xx
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Well you never know!!! Hubby might be right!

Optimism is good. Realism is also good. You just never know, and it's not always the ones that you think they will do well at where they land the part.
sharoola
Nominee

Post by sharoola »

HI there, new to this forum and was looking for some helpful advice or tips really. My DS had a casting before xmas and got recalled and then got a 2nd re all just he other week to be narrowed down to 2 LO's in the end, which is amazing for a TV series. We just found out he didn't get it and the other LO did which was so close. I wondered if there was any advice in how to tell my LO (although I don't think he's as bothered by it all than me!) and how you cope as a parent in this situation, as it was so exciting and we thought he nearly had the job so kind of got our hopes up to be told this. :(
He has only just turned 6 BTW. TIA.