Rates of Pay

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

newbie82
Nominee

Rates of Pay

Post by newbie82 »

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of where I find out about rates of pay for children in this industry? Being new to it all I don't know what would be considered a fair rate and as we're not with an agent at the moment I don't have them to ask.

Any websites or just info from your own experience would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance
x
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Re: Rates of Pay

Post by ACookie »

I'm not sure there are specific industry standards. A few years ago equity were discussing developing a minimum child's wage but I can't find anything now to say that happened. They suggested at least 50% of an adult wage at that time. It will depend on the type of production and who is doing the hiring and paying. Theatre pays much less that television/adverts because they often include a buyout clause which means they are entitled to use the child's image/voice for so many years after the initial usage, without paying again. Jobs from websites such as mandy and star now will often pay much less than spotlight advertised jobs as they are quite often low budget short film, student or charity projects. People do them to get experience and CV credits - not necessarily for the good salary! I think having an agent is really good if you can get one, as they will deal with all the legalities and ensure the project is paying reasonably and adhering to all the child law concerning working hours and conditions.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rates do vary. A commercial is usually a day rate of between £150 and £500 per day plus a buy-out but younger children are often less. Children in the UK don't get residuals (repeat fees). The buy-out will depend on usage so a TV advert will get more than an internet advert as an example and across all media will vary again up to global buyouts which can be in the thousands. Film usually pays better than TV and BBC pay really low rates. Theatre is also done for love not money and can be as low as £40/50 per show or week. Photographic is usually charged at an hourly rate from around £50 to over £100 per hour.

There is usually a £50 fee for recalls and similar for wardrobe sessions.

Voice work is poor for radio but excellent for commercials and animated films and cartoons. For example several years ago one of my children was getting £24.00 per hour for a radio play and £500 per hour plus 1500% buyout on a Disney animation. The extreemes are huge.

In short every job is different and most briefs include the fee rate for the job at the start unless we are talking lead roles in productions when they are negotiated alongside all the extras in the contract. If you want to ask about a specific job please feel free to PM me although I must confess my knowledge is now a few years out of date.
Hope Never Dies....
newbie82
Nominee

Post by newbie82 »

Thanks both for the reply, sounds like bit of a minefield!

I guess we’ll just have to take it as it comes & try & get an agent who can guide us.
X