14 year old wanting to start acting?

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

hsabell1
Nominee

14 year old wanting to start acting?

Post by hsabell1 »

Hi everyone,

My sister is 14 and really wants to start acting professionally. She performs in school plays and absolutely loves it, so is really passionate about doing it seriously.

As we live in Plymouth, my question is how can she start? What would you recommend as a way for her to get her foot in the door?

Any advice is really appreciated!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: 14 year old wanting to start acting?

Post by jennifer1972 »

If it's straight acting she's after, maybe she could look at NYT (national youth theatre). There are some threads on here about that. Trying to find an agent age 14 is tricky as even if she managed to find representation, nine times out of ten at an audition, a 14 year old would lose out to a young looking 16 year old. My advice would be to look at local theatre groups and see how she could get involved. Also, many colleges run summer acting courses, they don't come cheap but can be a great experience to meet like-minded people and get a taste of what it's all about. Also, student films are another way to get experience. You don't usually get paid, apart from expenses, but a good way to start building a portfolio.
hsabell1
Nominee

Re: 14 year old wanting to start acting?

Post by hsabell1 »

jennifer1972, thank you so much for this information, I will definitely let her know about all these options!

Student films are definitely available, it's just finding where they are advertised!

The theatre groups are a brilliant shout, she does a lot of acting in school so that sounds like a great option!

When she is 16, is it worth her trying to get an agent (if she still wants to act)? How would she go about that?

Thank you!