Newbie: audition for Ghostwriters

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Tashadavis
Nominee

Newbie: audition for Ghostwriters

Post by Tashadavis »

Hi All,
We are very new to this world and I wondered if anyone can help. My son is registered with a local agency and has been asked to send a self tape to audition for a part in the above US TV show. I can’t figure out if this is something the agency have put him forward for or whether he has been specifically asked to audition. Also, if he did get the part, how on earth would that work if the show is being filmed in the US. Any thoughts anyone? He is 10 and only has school/drama club experience so far. Thanks.
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Re: Newbie: audition for Ghostwriters

Post by Moosmum »

Hi, it’s likely that the agency submitted him for the role. I’m new to this also but from my understanding the briefs go out to all agencies via spotlight etc,the agencies then submit kids they feel for the brief. Usually is a self tape first then if they want to see your child then you get auditions etc. As for the filming abroad, I think they have to have a chaperone on set at all times(usually preferred not to be a parent) and they will get tutored if in the US as it’s a legal requirement. Hope this helps abit. We usually do the self tapes then try to forget about them somewhat as you rarely hear unless successful in getting an audition :) x
Julie
BRIT Award

Post by Julie »

Hi
That particular casting is an open casting, so anyone can submit a selftape - original submission requests a self tape so unlikely preselected at this stage for this one. As far as I am aware agents are submitting their children/clients, and tapes via an agent are probably more likely to be seen than the thousands of others that will also submit separately. Castings like this are usually a long shot, they are looking throughout US,Canada and UK. That’s a lot of kids.

If cast child and parent/chaperone would have to move to Canada for duration of filming. Expenses are usually covered but depends on individual production.

Hope that helps a bit.
Tashadavis
Nominee

Post by Tashadavis »

Thanks for the replies, that’s really helpful. I’m trying to figure out whether we should bother or not really as it’s very last minute and I’m not even sure it would be the right thing even if he was successful! Cheers x
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Tashadavis,
If your agent has asked you to do the self-tape, they might well get very ticked off if you don't bother sending one in and then they might drop you or not bother putting your DS up for anything else. In my experience, if you sign up to an agency, then you are agreeing to do the auditions (within reason) they get for you. Just might be worth being aware of this. :)
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

I was just going to mention this, I think there is an expectation from agents for all kids to submit a tape if needed. A lot of the time castings can be last minute, often less than 24 hours notice. We have been fortunate so far in the we have always had at least 48 hours notice, however we were told before we signed that it’s often last minute. Our agent explained exactly what was needed from self tapes at the start which was great as I really had no clue about any of it! Might be worth speaking to your agent to see what their expectations are :) x
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

It;s worth doing a self tape, just for the practice (for you and him! :lol: ), as self taping can be a bit of a faff and the more you do, the easier it gets. Do it and then just forget about it, 9 times out of 10 you hear nothing back from a self tape, and if this is an international search even less chance. Don't even start to think about the logistics yet! It's the name of the game unfortunately but if the agency have asked you to do it then I would. Good luck!
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Hiya where was the information about the open self tape? Thanks xx
Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pandora II »

Moosmum wrote:A lot of the time castings can be last minute, often less than 24 hours notice.
Oh yes... we just had a recall where they let us know at 9pm on Friday evening for an 11am Saturday morning. One of the others there had only found out at 7am... fortunately they hadn't been out on Friday night and had woken early and seen the email!

Self-tapes are a faff, especially if you don't have an ideal bit in your house to film them against, so worth doing just for the practice if not to keep the agent happy.
SazzaD
BRIT Award

Post by SazzaD »

Agree with all of the above. It's definitely worth doing, not only for the relationship with your agent but also for the experience of getting the tape done (for both you and your DC!). As Pandora says, tapes are a bit of a faff and so it's good to have a routine in place for when they do come in at short notice. For example, if you don't have a plain white / cream wall in your house, it will take a bit of organising (perhaps tacking a sheet against a paler wall?) and moving some furniture / pictures etc but once you've done that once, it's much easier the next time. Also, you may get some fairly detailed instructions with the self-tape request so it's good to have an understanding on how those work and rereading the instructions after you've done one or two takes to make sure. A good agent may also give you some feedback on the submission and advise if anything needs changing, if time allows. A couple of lessons we've learned along the way are to make sure filming is in landscape and also that all your submissions are named / labelled - basic but so easy to forget. Hope that helps and good luck!