Independent Castings Query

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Simone Noah
Nominee

Independent Castings Query

Post by Simone Noah »

Hi all
If you independently find casting opportunities for your child (e.g. on Mandy.com), are you obligated to tell your agent about them?
And if you don't, how do you go about sorting out licencing conditions, approval from schools to release them etc.
Thanks
Simone
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Re: Independent Castings Query

Post by lyndahill »

Hi. I would tell my DD's agency just out of courtesy. Some may say that although sourced yourself, you'll have to still pay a small percentage of commission to them. You'll have to sort the licence yourself and get something from the production team to show to the school. Licences are easy to get, paperwork is straight forward. Good luck.
Simone Noah
Nominee

Post by Simone Noah »

Thanks so much Lynda, that's really useful.
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

Your agent will realistically need to know so that they don't submit your child for anything that may clash. I would actually rather hand it over so they can sort out licensing and check contracts etc unless you are really confident with all that.
Zoeharvey1
BRIT Award

Post by Zoeharvey1 »

Might be worth checking your contract as ours outlines what happens if we book something independently. I agree about letting your agent sort it out too.
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Personally I think you should always let your agent know what you are doing, also if it is the right agent they will be happy to see your DC getting as much experience as possible and very importantly can protect you from non-payment or unacceptable terms. I would always hand over or at least get advice from our agent and I would always pay them their usual fee. Even though they might not have secured this particular job, they will have worked many hours on your DC's behalf trying to secure them work at other times. I think a good relationship of trust with your agent is brilliant for both parties.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

My DD has a fab agent who does not take any commission from jobs she finds herself...he is very supportive x
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......