Castings: Advice for a Newbie

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Simone Noah
Nominee

Castings: Advice for a Newbie

Post by Simone Noah »

Hi
I'm very new in to this world. My 7 year old son got signed by an agency in July 2017. In short, he went for an open audition for a laugh as we were in central London and passing by the auditions that day, he got a callback. He was only just 6 at that point, it was suggested that he go to Drama classes and from there they suggested that he audition for an agency as apparently he's a very good actor. It's all happened very quickly. Neither my husband or I or our other kids have any experience of acting or even considered our kids going down this route. Our agency is apparently one of the big child ones, but they have only put him forward for one small casting in December, which he was pencilled in for, but didn't get. The agency are not very responsive when you contact them. In fact other than the audition and texting us about the casting, we have no contact with them. If they walked past my son in the street they wouldn't know him. Is that the same everywhere? Also, if anyone has any advice on how to increase his castings that would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks so much!
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Re: Castings: Advice for a Newbie

Post by Dogcop »

The only advice I can give from experience is that if it's a big agency they will have loads of children the same age as your son. They will only put a certain amount forward for each part.
It may be that he is being submitted lots of time but it's then up to the casting team to call the children they want in for castings.
I have taken dd out of a very well known agency purely for the reason above. Since she has been with a smaller agency, she has been to far more castings.
However, ds was with the big, well known agency ( ;) )and worked continually from the age of 9-14
Simone Noah
Nominee

Post by Simone Noah »

Thank-you, that's really helpful.
Is there a way of finding out if they have been submitted to casting teams, but not called in? Do other agencies tell you this?
I just want our expectations structured a bit. I've moved my work clinics around to accommodate potential castings but then we have only had one. And I feel so bad for my son who was so excited to get signed and then hardly anything has happened. If my son turned around and said he didn't want to do this anymore, I would be totally fine with it. But given that he loves acting, that's unlikely to happen and I just want to support him as much as possible.
Am I allowed to ask you what agency your daughter is now with? I don't know what's allowed or appropriate on this site?
Thanks so so much.
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

We are just with a small local one in Kent. They send out an email every 6 months to tell us exactly what they have put my two girls in for. Eldest daughter was in the recent Christmas Boots commercial so they do get good castings.
The big agency we were with before definitely wouldn't tell you what castings they have submitted your child for. However Ds had some lovely jobs through them that wouldn't have gone out to other agencies so it's hard to tell what's best.
It's worth asking your agency what your son has been submitted for. And you can look around for jobs yourself. Two of mine have done some lovely short films that I found for them. Also, if your son is interested in stage work look at websites for Jo Hawes, Debbie O'Brien and Jessica Ronane.
Jo Hawes also runs workshops in the art of auditioning which is very useful and then does a Q&A afterwards for parents.