National youth theatre

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Theatre
BRIT Award

National youth theatre

Post by Theatre »

Hi has anyone any experience or knowledge about the NYT Thinking of auditioning in Jan but not sure.
Thanks.
Also has anyone got any recommendations for a casting agent? My DD is 13 does MT training and would benefit from an agent. We do live in the north west of UK though .Thanks in advance
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Re: National youth theatre

Post by TalyaB »

My DS did the NYT three years ago, when he was 14, which I think is the youngest they can apply. The first year they get in (whether they're 14 or 24) they do what's called an 'Intake' course - two weeks, 14-18 or 18+ - where the focus is on the work, not on a show, though we did get to see a 10-minute 'sharing', but that was a new thing. DS loved the course and felt he learned a lot. After that they are an NYT member till they're about 25 and (for an annual fee of about £35) can audition each year to be cast in a show. If successful, they're recalled on a show-by-show basis, perhaps for multiple shows, which can have one or more recalls. Last year DS had recalls in May and June and we didn't know till soon after that that he hadn't been cast in anything. It was all stretched over a very long period and did make summer plans quite challenging.

The first year is pricey (approx £1,000), similar to NYMT, though I believe there is funding you can apply for, and lots of advice given about fundraising. After that, the NYMT is the same sort of price every year as they don't differentiate first-timers from returners, but the NYT is free(!), though I don't know whether that covers any accommodation required.
Theatre
BRIT Award

Post by Theatre »

Thank you very much for all your information it's rely been helpful.
Fillyjonk
Nominee

Post by Fillyjonk »

It's a long time ago now - 22 years ago in fact, but I did NYT and loved it. You do lots of skill based workshops and devise a short piece of live theatre or maybe work on a scripted piece during the 2 or 3 week course which you then showcase to a small audience. After that when you are a fully fledged member you can audition for parts in the big shows.

I did two audition speeches when I got in - one Shakespeare and one contemporary but I think auditions have changed and follow more of workshop style now. I got a Prince's Trust grant to help cover my fees.

NYT is great - I had the best fun. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to audition.