Matilda Tour London Callback

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Re: Matilda Tour London Callback

Post by TalyaB »

Aprilskies wrote:Yes they did say that you're right, but realistically would she want to live away full time for that long? Possibly with just a few other children and probably very limited home visits in that time :-(. Week on and week off for the tour would be different - hard work for parents getting the chn there and back yes, but ok for the kids (and the brilliant experience for them of being in the show!!). It was the rehearsal period that threw me just cos we do live so far away. I've learnt a lot!! Wonder why you haven't heard.. hope you do soon.
Matilda tour may not be the same at all, but when DS was in Billy Elliot, all the kids playing Billy, Michael and Debbie lived together, even those who lived close enough not to need to. During rehearsals he generally had weekends off, and the production company arranged for them to be chaperoned home and back on a weekly basis whenever they wanted to. Once they were in shows, they were also brought to the station nearest home and then taken back after every home break, though DS often preferred to stay at the Billy house on free Sundays, as they did fun outings etc. In my experience, the kids have an amazing time, and the company wants them to be happy and feel well looked after. I only know of one boy who didn't enjoy the experience, and didn't end up doing it for long.
Aprilskies
Nominee

Post by Aprilskies »

That sounds great Talya, lots of fun. No it was going to be different for matilda - children who could do so, would live at home, go to school in the morning and then come in for rehearsals in London 2-8 some days (other days no school as rehearsals 10-5). Rehearsals they said would be Monday to Saturday with a day off in the week. I understood this to mean every Sunday off as well. Therefore I wondered how my dd would get home at as the 2 days off we're not consecutive, we both work in the week anyway. To give you an idea our train home after the final audition was 5 hours (on the train) plus tube to mainline train station. A 6 hr journey in total! So if you don't live within an hour or 2 of London it is difficult.. After the London rehearsals I believe all kids were going to move to Leicester for 7 weeks - now that would probably be fun as they'd all be living in. Again tho, we live a million miles from Leicester too :-0
bertieni
Nominee

Post by bertieni »

April skies... does that mean initial rehearsals for tour wouldn't work for anyone living outside London then - if I have read that correctly...thanks
Aprilskies
Nominee

Post by Aprilskies »

bertieni wrote:April skies... does that mean initial rehearsals for tour wouldn't work for anyone living outside London then - if I have read that correctly...thanks
No - I'm sure it could work for many families if that's what they wanted and their child was happy with that. For us it wouldn't have been ideal and dd was not keen to miss that much school etc (she's just started in secondary school). For someone else maybe they'd be happy with it. Maybe if both parents don't work they could travel down in week to get them etc etc.
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

For what it's worth, the rehearsal schedule for the tour seems the same as for the WE show in terms of Mon-Sat with Sundays and one day off during the week. So as far as opportunities to return home during rehearsals go, the circumstances will be the same for tour children being accommodated in London as they are for the Matildas and Bruces who "live in" for the WE show.
Aprilskies
Nominee

Post by Aprilskies »

That's useful thanks. I expect they do what they can to get them home too. Got the impression they were very child-focussed and keen on time at home. There's always a way to work things out of you need to isnt there, and the experience of being in the show would be amazing for sure!
lowe74
Nominee

Post by lowe74 »

is Anyone else still waiting to hear a response?
Tobemory
BRIT Award

Post by Tobemory »

My DS has been seen twice this year - for london in the spring and 2 weeks ago for tour. Both times made it to end of first day then cut after longer dance round. He has not got much dance experience. We have now been asked to attend first round for london again this week. I am really unsure whether to take him for what feels like inevitable same outcome as nothing has changed in last fortnight. Thoughts?
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Tricky one. If they keep asking your DS back, they obviously see something in him and want to see how he develops.

The casting team are very approachable, and it is not unheard of for people to ask to defer an audition for 6 months to get more dance experience.

Is he trying for a role where height matters and he might be too tall if he deferred for another 6 months? They like Eric to be smaller than Matilda and Tommy tends to be the tallest boy, but ime there is more leeway with Nigel and Bruce heights. It doesn't necessarily follow that a child who is a good fit for one part will also fit the "next size up" role.

Does your DS tend to enjoy auditions regardless of outcome, or would see getting one stage further as an achievement even if not cast? Or would he find it too demoralising if he didn't get any further through the process so soon after tour auditions?
Tobemory
BRIT Award

Post by Tobemory »

Thanks Fredabloggs. He is 4 5 so too tall for Eric - in the middle ground height wise. He is resilient and normally we do go in the spirit of just enjoying the experience. Having said that I do think it would be tough to go and get to same stage again just because it is so very soon from the last time. It just seems so odd that it was a no two weeks ago and they want to see him again so quickly if he wasn't ready/ right then. Decisions decisions!
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Has he been called for Eric or Nigel for WE ensemble auditions?

He would be likely to be at the upper limit of height for Eric, so might well be too tall by next April.

If NIgel, he's probably still a bit on the small side and could afford to ask to defer for 6 months to get more dance training under his belt.

I find there's no point trying to understand the rationale behind most aspects of the casting process - that way lies madness!
Tobemory
BRIT Award

Post by Tobemory »

I am not sure - would they specify which one it is for? It is for the auditions happening next week in London.
esmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by esmum »

Tobemory wrote:I am not sure - would they specify which one it is for? It is for the auditions happening next week in London.
Go for it with gusto - as long as your boy feels ok to do so - they must see something special, well done to your young man for staying in the game, has to be worth a shot x
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

The emails we had did specify a role, even for first round auditions - but there was only one role that DS fit the brief for so that may have been why.

It's a difficult decision. In your shoes I'd be tempted to offer your DS the choice of auditioning again this round or focusing on dance training and trying again in 6 months, and leave it up to him to choose. Being cut after the second dance round on the first day doesn't necessarily mean he isn't in with a chance in future - my DS was cut at a similar stage the first time he tried for Matilda, then at the next set of auditions he was cast. In general though, it's a good idea to have as much dance experience as possible before being cast, as the Matilda rehearsal process can be quite tough for a child with limited formal dance training.
Tobemory
BRIT Award

Post by Tobemory »

Thank you for the advice and encouragement both. I think he needs more dance training but will let him make final decision.