Not hearing back after Recall

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Not hearing back after Recall

Post by gingerbam »

Hi
Asking on behalf of a non member friend, but curious for myself too. Her Dd has now had 2 auditions with CBBC this year and got to third/fourth round each time, yet not heard if she got the role or not. The last one was @ Media city and she has not heard it was the last round and she is really upset. My question is why don't you get told when you get so far down the line, she is only 10 and is now upset as it is the second time. I had this happen for adverts for my Dd, which is fine when you have not had a recall, but when you have gone back 3 times, why is there no respect for the effort that the child has put in. A simple no surely doesn't hurt. Is this down to Agent or CD?
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Re: Not hearing back after Recall

Post by RoseTowers4 »

In my experience if ds meets the director we get told either way. The agency tells us. If ds goes to a recall we don't hear back. If ds went to more recalls I would expect a response. I would tell your friend to have a word with their agent maybe?
Julie
BRIT Award

Post by Julie »

DD had recall recently for a film and met the director. Still didn't receive a yes/no email and I have seen it is cast now. Always best to just move on whatever stage it's at, unfortunately its a business and it's sadly really about money not niceties. ☹️
Galapagos
Nominee

Post by Galapagos »

I'm not involved in the business but have relatives who are and I'm still shocked that this is the norm. There's no real excuse other than they can get away with it, especially in these days of email. How hard would it be to send a standard email saying thanks for your interest, unfortunately it didn't quite work this time etc? I believe Equity are promoting a casting manifesto which would require CDs etc to actually send a "no". Let's hope it has an effect :)
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

Galapagos wrote:I'm not involved in the business but have relatives who are and I'm still shocked that this is the norm. There's no real excuse other than they can get away with it, especially in these days of email. How hard would it be to send a standard email saying thanks for your interest, unfortunately it didn't quite work this time etc? I believe Equity are promoting a casting manifesto which would require CDs etc to actually send a "no". Let's hope it has an effect :)

This would be good, she has asked her agency and they haven't been helpful. Personally I think it is rude especially as it is a young child. We have been quiet so not had this happen to us yet, but I am sure it will, I wonder if any parent or child has ever said at the final recall, make sure you let me know one way or the other hahaha. It does not show good manners or kindness.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

Julie wrote:DD had recall recently for a film and met the director. Still didn't receive a yes/no email and I have seen it is cast now. Always best to just move on whatever stage it's at, unfortunately its a business and it's sadly really about money not niceties. ☹️

But if I went for a job interview, and did not get the job I would get a rejection letter.
Galapagos
Nominee

Post by Galapagos »

gingerbam wrote:But if I went for a job interview, and did not get the job I would get a rejection letter.
Exactly. There isn't really an excuse. In fact I only ever took my DC for one casting, which was an open one where the CD must have had hundreds and hundreds to consider. DC was called in for one casting and even for that we had a polite thanks-but-no email a couple of weeks later. So it can be done.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

Galapagos wrote:
gingerbam wrote:But if I went for a job interview, and did not get the job I would get a rejection letter.
Exactly. There isn't really an excuse. In fact I only ever took my DC for one casting, which was an open one where the CD must have had hundreds and hundreds to consider. DC was called in for one casting and even for that we had a polite thanks-but-no email a couple of weeks later. So it can be done.

Exactly, in her case it was one particular CD that has done it twice, she is now saying that she is very reluctant to do this again, Jo Hawes doesn't behave this way (as far as I know, with our limited experience).

I wonder if when we left after a final recall etc we would be tared as pushy if we said upon leaving, be sure to let me know either way ! :D
Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pandora II »

I think it's awful of them not to let you know - especially considering that it is a child who is auditioning and that they got recalls.

There was a campaign on this very topic early this year - might be worth contacting them. Otherwise, an anonymised letter to the Chairman of whichever production company it is might be an idea.

All they need is a No thanks email set up. I imagine there 'might' be a parent out there who would use it to reply and protest about their child not being cast, but so far it is my experience that most of us bend over backward to avoid being 'that' parent and possibly damaging our kids future opportunities.

Jo is brilliant at telling the children kindly and promptly. 10/10 to her for understanding that they need to know one way or another and the sooner the better. If only they were all so appreciative of young children's hopes and potentially fragile self-esteem... (and the parents nerves worn ragged by 'have you heard anything' eleventy billion times a day)
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

I can just about understand CDs not having the time to send a "no" to hundreds of children after a first round (though in this day and age with ways to automate mass emails from spreadsheets etc., how hard can it be?).

However I do think it is reasonable to expect a response either way after a recall, when the numbers involved must by definition be smaller and when children and parents have invested more time and effort in the process. To hear nothing after several recalls or a final I find just plain rude.

Some time ago, DS auditioned for quite a big role that involved travel away from home and was at a time of year that would have meant rearranging our holiday plans. He was recalled. Communication was messy - some children had a "no" after the first round, some children were recalled but then heard nothing further. A week or so later the CD called DS's agent to say that DS was down to the last couple of children being considered. and asked the agent to check that DS would definitely take the role if offered. We said yes and waited, assuming we would hear either way. Then...nothing.

About 3 weeks later, after several attempts by the agent to chase it up (they too assumed that, having got this far, we would hear either way, and time was running out if we needed to change our holiday plans), we finally had a pretty casual "oh yeah, sorry, didn't work out for him this time" email from the CD. This was a fairly well-known CD and I would definitely think twice before letting DS audition for them again, because the poor communication made the whole process far more stressful than it needed to be.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

FredaBloggs I'm curious to know the cd? Though I understand if you're reluctant to name them.
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Sorry RoseTowers, no naming and shaming - hope you understand.

I will say it isn't any of the CDs who tend to receive positive comments on their handling of auditions from people on this forum.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

I completely understand. We've been lucky to always get a response - either yes or no - from any CD's.
x_sugarplumfairy_x
GRAMMY Award

Post by x_sugarplumfairy_x »

I know I also find this so frustrating!! i can understand not doing it after the initial casting as they often see 100s but at recall stage i definetly think you should hear back especially when by that stage you are usually pencilled and keeping the dates free! I've even had it a few times when shes been licensed for the job and everything so kept the date completly free then only found out she didnt get it when the shoot date passes and we've had no info! x
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

x_sugarplumfairy_x wrote:I know I also find this so frustrating!! i can understand not doing it after the initial casting as they often see 100s but at recall stage i definetly think you should hear back especially when by that stage you are usually pencilled and keeping the dates free! I've even had it a few times when shes been licensed for the job and everything so kept the date completly free then only found out she didnt get it when the shoot date passes and we've had no info! x

That is shocking, I have never heard of that at all. I really think that the industry needs to change, it is not right to treat anyone like that. Adult or child, so rude.