Savoy Theatre- Stephen Mear & Nigel Lilley: Stagebox Open Audition Call

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Rose20
BRIT Award

Re: Savoy Theatre- Stephen Mear & Nigel Lilley: Stagebox Open Audition Call

Post by Rose20 »

Hi, Did a lot of children go for it? There seemed to be a lot of interest in this.
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

My DD was quite young so maybe that was a factor - letter says will tell us yes or no - or maybe its already a no - we shall see!
She enjoyed it so Im happy that she went - though would prefer it to have run on time. They had a lot of children there - pos 100 in the first session? Best of luck everyone :)
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I think there must have been about 100 in each session. I think there were little ones recalled, at least from 8 upwards, not sure about younger than that though as they may have thought it was late enough for them. My DD thought it was very good and enjoyed the session but I hadn't told her what it was for as I wanted her to treat it as a workshop with 2 industry professionals. Good luck to all of those that went, it sounds really good (although expensive!!).x
Viks2030
GRAMMY Award

Post by Viks2030 »

We were at the first session and not overly fussed whether we were recalled but DD was looking forward to the workshop
Shes 12 and usually loves this sort of thing but was very disappointed with the whole thing and said it wasn't a workshop at all and just like an audition, only we paid £40.00 for it!!!
In my opinion it wasn't managed well and started over half an hour late with the obvious then knock on effect ,it created mass congestion with parents trying to pick up whilst the next group were trying to queue to drop off ,the first group didn't come out until til gone 12.15 with no apology from the Stagebox team or any explanation as to why ? Such a shame.
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

That's a lot of kids! How many groups do you think there was? I'm not too sure about them charging that much if it was just an audition with large amounts of kids. Did the kids like working with the team?
JanetA
Nominee

Post by JanetA »

Deleted after offence caused to Isabelle73.
Last edited by JanetA on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
pizzalover
BRIT Award

Post by pizzalover »

My dd went yesterday and absolutely loved it and said she had the best day ever! She was also in the group that was running late but we were told that was because they started late so they were being fair in giving all the kids the time to sing and dance so I think it's unfair to say they ran over as they gave the kids an amazing experience to perform and it was most definitely a workshop. She didn't get asked to stay but loved it and I was very impressed with what she learnt- she showed me in the kitchen lol. She has been to lots of workshops and said this was one of her favourite yet and everyone was very friendly and kind. I know some of the kids in this company in the north and they have the time of their life with parents singing their praises too- think maybe my dd is a little young and it'll be a 'next time' but I am delighted she enjoyed it and boosted confidence after lots of final recalls for West End/uk tours that got her down. Fingers crossed for good news
isabelle73.dance
Nominee

Post by isabelle73.dance »

This is completely unfair and untrue. My dd went in completely raw to Stagebox- yes she had dance training but so do all the other children on other programmes of a national level and any child wanting to succeed. My dd's best friend was also an ambassador at the Savoy yesterday (she has done 2 UK Tour's and is Elite Team leeds member) and said how incredible it was and what an amazing workshop too. Of course there is a fee but in auditions (and training) they are working with the industry's biggest names and being trained/seen by them.

My dd got into in a UK tour- Stagebox spend hours moulding and working with my child, on the phone to me and they are extremely kind, caring and professional. It is a real family atmosphere which is why they only take 25 in a team! And my dd is not alone- lots of elite team kids in west end shows, UK tours etc! Sounds like you're a competitor and you've been put up to this. The videos are only ever a bonus-it is all about the training with them, they get 150 hours a year which is more than most weekly! There is also an intensive training week without a video where they put on a show. The training is intensive my dd is a scholar at northern ballet etc and falls asleep at 6pm after a stagebox day because it so hard going- but she loves it!!

If your child gets in to stagebox you would see that. The reason why they don't do it weekly is because the majority of the team come from all over and travel for hours. They want the children to continue training weekly in dance and they round off the whole package in intensive musical theatre training. You can say what you like but the proof is in the pudding!!! The videos alone have had them picked up this month alone by ITV and a tour for next year so it's completely untrue! You're also saying world class choreographers, resident directors etc don't train them?! They train them from morning till evening daily during workshops...

Per term its cheaper than Stagecoach and you do get what you pay for! Last week out of hundreds on a national tour casting out of everyone 6 out of 8 cast were from stagebox and they didn't even go in in uniform- the training is exceptional and the level of staff its outstanding!

They haven't 'sold us out'- they explained to us Northern teams that they expanded to London due to huge interest and obviously it makes sense as there a musical theatre company.I suggest you think very carefully before writing untrue and unkind comments about a company that work very hard and care about our children, working as role models for all of them- they have done so much for my dd and she is very happy there!
Last edited by isabelle73.dance on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

The training sounds great, and it makes sense to me to offer classes in London. The audition/workshop sounded good - but of course running late is never popular. I guess out of 300+ families going not everyone will have loved it.
JanetA
Nominee

Post by JanetA »

Isabelle73. This is a public forum where people can post their opinions. I am not a competitor, just a normal mum of children who like to act. I think you have overreacted somewhat to my comments as I did say I felt their video product was of a good quality.

As for 6 out of 8 children being picked from hundreds for a UK tour, I assume these were elite team members who have already been picked from hundreds of children just to make the 25 so, while I'm sure they are being well trained as you say, they clearly showed a lot of potential in the first place.

From what I can see (on this forum) they saw over 300 children yesterday for 25 spaces so clearly they are starting out with some very talented kids. A nice position to be in!

I'm glad to hear your child has thrived there. I apologise for the offence I've clearly caused you.
Totallyclueless
GRAMMY Award

Post by Totallyclueless »

My DD was at the Savoy on Sunday and had the best time. Yes it overran but many other auditions that she has been to have overrun so I wasn't surprised or bothered.
Last edited by Totallyclueless on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
westendwendy
BRIT Award

Post by westendwendy »

Hi TotallyClueless- best of luck to your DD!
Saw quite a few familiar faces there at the recall-anyone heard anything yet? DD came out saying they would phone each and every one of us but I'm sure that can't be the case!
I think there were about 50/60 kids recalled but could have been more- lots of west end kids and kids down to the finals for shows there so the talent must have been amazing and hard to choose from!
fingers crossed everyone xx
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

Their scholarships and bursaries are however based on talent alone and not income which is worth noting !
Amandapanda
BRIT Award

Post by Amandapanda »

Interestingly they said on twitter that not getting a recall doesn't necessarily mean it's a no.
Caroline72
BRIT Award

Post by Caroline72 »

I wonder how many cities in the UK they will end up in. The downside being the bigger it becomes the harder it will be to retain the 'family' feel I suppose. Great opportunity for the successful children.

It sounds like the London elite team may end up being comprised of seasoned performers so it can't really be compared (in financial or success terms) to 'open to all' type drama schools.

Good luck to anyone waiting for news!