Railway Children Ensemble

Post by missmoneypenny »

In case anyone is interested - girls and boys 8-16

http://railwaychildrenlondon.com/about/ ... -auditions
begolina
BAFTA Award

Re: Railway Children Ensemble

Post by begolina »

Thanks very much for posting Missmoneypenny. It doesn't say anything about which is the kind of commitment. Does anyone know it?
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Post by swanny »

My DS was in it from May to September last year. He had a blast but it is a big commitment. 2-3 show days a week. Sometimes 2 shows on a day. Not many matinees and I think they reduced it further since then. Luckily for him a big stretch of his commitment was over May half term and summer hols so he didn't have that much time off school. Note the children aren't paid or they weren't then. They did really love it and the chaperones were lovely. They got a few gifts and had a lovely party at the end. Family got 2 tickets to first and last show. Child gets 2 tickets to see the show before they are in it.
I'm swanning around trying to get the hang of all this! Thanks for your help!
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

Thanks very much Swanny.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Dd is currently in it, she finishes in April. I would say it's very manageable, there's 3 teams of 10 children, they perform around 2 -3 times a week, but that includes a 2 show day, more in half terms. Sometimes they only miss one half day at school as the other show falls at the weekend. Most of them are matinees so not too many late nights. Wednesday they have 2.30 and 7.30 shows but the schedule is so well organised, dd only did around 8 lates in 6 months.We live in Hertfordshire and children are chaperoned from Hitchin station to and from kings cross. I pick her up from school at 12 and she's back before 6 but we leave within walking distance to school and station. It could differ for London children but I would imagine would be very similar. As her contract was originally for 3 months, when they asked to renew for a further 3 they said they would accommodate any days off/holidays previously booked. Dd didn't miss any shows but she covered for other teams and we got 2 free tickets per cover day which you can get on a different date if you can't make the cover day. You get 2 free tickets for first and final performance and can claim travel expenses for rehearsals if not using the chaperones. Dd didn't get free tickets to watch the show before she started but the othe 2 teams get to watch the dress rehearsal of the team that's doing it. The production team and chaperones are lovely. The only downside is that it isn't payed witch we didn't mind as dd wanted to do it for other reasons and she told me it's the best decision she's ever made.
AliceInWonder
Nominee

Post by AliceInWonder »

We went to the local audition in Hertforfshire last weekend but haven't heard anything. Should we take that as a no? Did anyone else go to those auditions and if so did they get a recall? Thanks for your help.
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Post by swanny »

Just to add re my earlier reply- we were a London family so we did lots of the taking to and fro to the theatre though we were lucky that the chaperone could help out a lot. All teh chidlren were London based that season and I suppose it was a bigger commitment because of the dropping to the theatre.

When my DS did the audition he sort of knew he had got through the first round because they spent a lot of time measuring the children and then they put the children into groups and sent about half away.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

AliceInWonder wrote:We went to the local audition in Hertforfshire last weekend but haven't heard anything. Should we take that as a no? Did anyone else go to those auditions and if so did they get a recall? Thanks for your help.
They should have told you if you've got a recall. When did auditioned the final recalls were on the same day as we went to the very last audition date. If you're not sure drop the CD a line and ask.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

swanny wrote:Just to add re my earlier reply- we were a London family so we did lots of the taking to and fro to the theatre though we were lucky that the chaperone could help out a lot. All teh chidlren were London based that season and I suppose it was a bigger commitment because of the dropping to the theatre.

When my DS did the audition he sort of knew he had got through the first round because they spent a lot of time measuring the children and then they put the children into groups and sent about half away.
so they contacted you regarding recall afterwards? Which part did your Ds play?
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Post by swanny »

He was Fred. They contacted his agent. He did recall I can't remember if 1 or 2 weeks after 1st round and then got told the following week.It really was a wonderful experience for him. His first job.