National Youth Theatre

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Re: National Youth Theatre

Post by TalyaB »

I emailed to chase and found out that it's a no for DS for this year. He'll definitely reapply next year though. They were apologetic and did say everyone should have heard by now, so if anyone else is waiting then it's worth contacting them.
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I must admit I find the whole NYT thing confusing.
My daughter auditioned in Manchester right at the end of the process. She is on the Reserve List for the August course. She hoped that she might be given a place. So far nothing. I have contacted them few times, since we are trying to organise holidays etc. They have been very slow to reply. In fact my original 2 messages went unanswered. Contacted them again yesterday and got the standard no places available speech. No mention made of the course that seems to be going on at the moment. They did not even ask her name.
Can I just ask if the places that have been given out this week were for the Senior Course? My daughter is 19, and it is her first time at auditioning. Just wondering how they allocate their places? She was given to understand in the original e mail that she was high up the list.
I do wonder if auditioning outside London goes against you in the process?
Can anybody offer any advice, because I'm getting more and more confused.
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Jaybeeyellow hello have pm'd you. :D
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

I agree it's confusing. Part of the confusion is that people are applying for different things. The first year someone is successful, they do an Intake Acting course - junior or senior depending on age. My DS did this last year, so now he's a 'member', so he auditioned to get into a production for this year (and will apply again next year) but there was no info about what productions these will be, or any dates or details of cost. At the same time, people auditioned for the Rep company and, I think there are separate auditions for the scheme they call Playing Up.
When DS did his course last summer, none of the friends he made live in London, so I don't think there's any advantage to being from there.
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Wagered with Tayla . It's such a prestigious company to be in and amazing when you get a yes to join. However, applying for the yearly events with NYT , agreed, no date or details of when where what or even cost.. From auditioning to hearing took 4 months.. So fanily plans on hold, then if you are offered a production , the dates, location etc may not suit...
understand things are kept under wraps, but would be useful to know for example
4 (unnamed) productions, with city names
Rehearsal availability eg 6 weekends between June& July
Pencilled in show dates
Average cost (really important - so the member can get some part time beforehand to cost it)
Just an idea would have been good - even 'keep the whole of August free' / pls budget around. £x would have been useful.
Any had any experience of this. Shame to then have to turn down the opportunity because of circumstances.
It is their big year this year .... Interested in other NYT members views that has been cast in previous years with this great opportunity. :D perhaps I'm expecting too much !
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Is it deliberate obfuscation in order to heighten the cachet, or it is just a bit disorganised? Friend's DS has tried twice and got a bit fed up with the whole process..
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

I don't know whether it's deliberate, or just not being run by parents, so they don't get how awkward it is. DS loved the Intake Acting Course he did last year - said it was the best thing he's ever done and that he learned more there than he did during 2 WE runs (Matilda and Billy) and 1 NYMT production - obviously it's very different because they weren't working towards preparing for a show. He said the standard at the audition day this year was incredibly high - he wasn't surprised not to be successful and says he'll definitely try again next year. So that's another year of uncertainty!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Agree with this, you detail your availability and they still recall you for things that you can't make and involve weeks off school during public exams ](*,)

DD's email after her recall was incredibly non-specific when previously she had a ...thank-you for attending for the recall, due to the high standard bla bla blah... at least then she knew. I suppose it's excellent practice for the industry! And she's loved her course and all the workshops.