Not really comfortable about this casting. What to do?

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Not really comfortable about this casting. What to do?

Post by FredaBloggs »

Received a casting appointment today via DS's agent. Having looked at the character brief and script, I'm not very comfortable about it, and would appreciate some advice from more seasoned veterans.

Casting is for a TV series, character is several years older than DS's usual playing age and the script contains a fair few references to more adult themes. In addition, DS has just started rehearsing for a big professional theatre production and the filming dates overlap with his theatre run by 10 days or so.

I will query it with the agent, but actually would prefer to turn down the casting because I wouldn't be happy to let him take the role even if he was cast. But I don't want to come across as difficult/picky/precious. The agency is usually really good, and the castings and auditions DS has had in the past have been a great fit for him, so this is the first time I have come up against this issue. Does anyone have any advice?
Last edited by FredaBloggs on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Re: Not really comfortable about this casting. What to do?

Post by swanny »

Just discuss it with the agent. They won't have a problem with it. You don't have to do everything that comes your way. We have missed quite a few due to availability etc. In this instance he couldn't do it anyway due to timing overlap so best not to waste everyones time. You won't come across as fussy. What show is he just starting? Best of luck
I'm swanning around trying to get the hang of all this! Thanks for your help!
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Thanks, swanny. I have sent a polite email to the agent setting out my concerns and indicating we'd like to decline this one so as not to waste anyone's time, and hopefully that will be fine.

He's just started rehearsing for a production in the WE (not MT, and just a short run) - first proper theatre role and he's really enjoying the experience so far!
mich707
GRAMMY Award

Post by mich707 »

i have turned castings down before for various reasons: sometimes i just know my child does not suit the role...another time it was due to script content etc. Agents understand...and my agent has always been very supportive of any decisions i make/..hope your agent has been too! Good luck with the theatre run!!!
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

We have turned down 2 castings where I was uncomfortable with the material, agent was totally fine and I believe it was right thing - definitely no regrets. Good luck with show!
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Thanks, all. It is really helpful to hear that others have felt justified in turning down castings for reasons similar to mine. Good to know it's OK to trust my gut feeling.
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

We've also turned castings down. No point in wasting their time or yours if you're not comfortable with it.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

I've turned castings down before because there was no way ds fitted the brief, and going to London would have been a huge waste of everyone's time and money.

I once even got a phone call whilst in the middle of Tesco asking if DS would be willing to fly to an audition the next day in Germany (as you do) "with any friend he has a rapport with" and me as a chaperone for a commercial audition to be attended by hundreds of boys no doubt (no mention of financial help with it). I said we couldn't just drop everything like that to go to Europe and didn't feel comfortable asking someone else to do the same especially if they weren't 'in the business' so to speak.

They're a big agency with hundreds of kiddies and it was a shame but you just know when there's no point or a gut feeling tells you that a call is wrong for you. I guessed it wouldn't be a lasting relationship though when we and others turned up for our agency photos appointment (us after a two hour drive) to be told the agent had gone home to let his dog out! Rude! [-X