Do's and Don't of Agency Meetings/Auditions

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

rebekahamy
BRIT Award

Do's and Don't of Agency Meetings/Auditions

Post by rebekahamy »

Hello all, I'm sure all this helpful information is scattered all over the site here and there, but I thought it would be a good idea if there was a single topic dedicated to it so it's easier for future members and ourselves to find :)

Basically I have my first agency meeting next week, and while I've been to many a workshop audition, I've never been to a sit-down meeting with an agent. So if anyone can contribute any advice or tips on what to prepare/expect/wear/do etc I would be ever so grateful, and so would many others I'm sure.

Thank you ever so much those of you who share your wisdom and experience time and time again, it is always so appreciated :D
"Remember that girl who gave up?
Neither does anyone else."

http://www.starnow.co.uk/rebekahamy
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Re: Do's and Don't of Agency Meetings/Auditions

Post by Genevieve »

they would have sent you a short script if there was something you needed to prepare I would have thought, if not, they may give you something while at the meeting to prepare to see how you handle learning lines at short notice, or you may be given something to just sight read. Whatever is discussed, be honest, with skills etc - and ensure you've prepared an up to date c.v. - just what you've done to date, amateur/professional/school plays in separate sections, - gives the agent an idea of experience. Unless they already have an up to date c.v., then there's no need, but take a copy with you to have to hand. Ensure all measurements are written down too, in case you need to fill in any forms, take a tape measure anyway, always useful ! Dress casual, age appropriate, avoid tops with logos on, avoid bright colours, and patterns, plain and simple and make up free is usually best/minimal.- just enjoy it, ! Good luck !
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Have a monologue/speech ready just in case - even if they have not asked you to prepare anything. Every actor should be able to pull something out of the bag if asked - it doesn't have to be long. They probably won't ask you, but "yes of course" is a better response than a rabbit-in-the-headlights stare of panic.

Don't forget that it's a two way process - you are assessing them as well as them assessing you. Have a think about what you would like to know about how they operate.

You may be asked things about what you have seen recently, who you admire, where you would like to be in 5 or 10 years time, what kind of work you hope to do. There's no need to prepare any scripted answers, but think these things through before you go.

Otherwise, just be yourself - be open, honest and friendly and don't try to second guess what they want to hear.

I hope it goes well!
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

I've noticed that a few posts on this site have reflected on relationships between agent and client and, in particular, how communication should work.

So - agreeing with pg that this is a two-way process - my advice would be to prepare your questions about how the relationship works and when/how they like their clients to get in touch. That way, if you decide to sign with them, you'll know what thir expectations are and can be confident in your communication with them.

Also agreeing with pg - be yourself, and don't be afraid to turn them down if they're not right for you. The one thing worse than having no agent is having the wrong agent.

Deb x
Mrs. Shakespeare
GRAMMY Award

Post by Mrs. Shakespeare »

Pg is correct in that it is a 360 degree process - they're interviewing you and remember that you're interviewing them too. Much of it with young people is down to personality and a certain degree of confidence (minus arrogance or icky precociousness of course). Once they've established that you can indeed act (often a chat about what you have done will establish this - either professional or amateur - or both) they're looking at YOU the individual - so relax and be your wonderful self! :)