Re-call for role already played. Is this normal?

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Re-call for role already played. Is this normal?

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Last year my DS was cast for a minor role in a very successful CBBC comedy/drama. To cut a long story short the production team were, to say the least, dis-organised and we ended up having all sorts of trouble. To the 2nd AD it looked like WE were causing the problems (i.e. not arriving for filming because they hadn't got a licence, going on holiday because the contract was for 5 days filming but they wanted him for 6 weeks etc) but we did everything we could (including cutting our holiday short) to accommodate them.

There is to be a 3rd series of the show and in January we were warned to keep our whole summer free :roll: as it was 'likely' they would want him again. Now he's been asked to audition again for the same role - and they're seeing other boys. They've got a new CD who told our agent it's 'to check he hasn't changed too much' but she (and I) think it's a bit weird.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience of this sort of thing? Has it happened to any of your DSs and DDs?

He's going for the audition (agent said she would understand if he didn't want to) and I'm playing it down as much as possible but he's still a bit puzzled.
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Re-call for role already played. Is this normal?

Post by pg »

With my grumpy hat on, I would say that this is sadly typical of an actor's lot: an actor is bottom of the pile (until they become big money) and is deemed to be either available or disposable. Do you and ds want to go through this again? They might well be just as disorganised. Are you completely confident that the production company is at fault and not your agent? I would do all negotiations via your agent and get them to fight your corner: that's what they are there for. I would expect your agent to insist on better organisation and more communication. I recommend that if your ds gets the job and the second AD is making you feel as if it's your fault again that you just politely ask them to deal with your agent. I might have direct communication with a production company with things like wardrobe and what time to be on set or what time to be picked up - but everything else to do with the contract would be via my agent. It isn't your fault - it might, just might, be your agent's. Either that, or the second AD was having a bad day (or is just grumpy) and was quite wrongly taking things out on you. If they want your ds, your agent can push them to be better organised (and, dare I say it, might need to look at his/her own organisation and communication too). I really would expect the agent to be a buffer here. Does your agent have a lot of experience?

If they are not certain they want your ds, then you are probably better out of it and you can leave someone else to be messed around.
In4aPenny
GRAMMY Award

Post by In4aPenny »

fartoomuchtodo wrote:Last year my DS was cast for a minor role in a very successful CBBC comedy/drama. To cut a long story short the production team were, to say the least, dis-organised and we ended up having all sorts of trouble. To the 2nd AD it looked like WE were causing the problems (i.e. not arriving for filming because they hadn't got a licence, going on holiday because the contract was for 5 days filming but they wanted him for 6 weeks etc) but we did everything we could (including cutting our holiday short) to accommodate them.

There is to be a 3rd series of the show and in January we were warned to keep our whole summer free :roll: as it was 'likely' they would want him again. Now he's been asked to audition again for the same role - and they're seeing other boys. They've got a new CD who told our agent it's 'to check he hasn't changed too much' but she (and I) think it's a bit weird.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience of this sort of thing? Has it happened to any of your DSs and DDs?

He's going for the audition (agent said she would understand if he didn't want to) and I'm playing it down as much as possible but he's still a bit puzzled.

I would imagine they are concerned that the kids have really grown up now and might look too old. Perhaps his headshot shows a much older boy or another child actor shocked them by looking so much older. Or the replacement CD has more experience and wants to put her stamp on things. I'm guessing this replacement CD has taken over the CBBC castings now?

I agree, your Agent should be insisting on information not accepting useless info.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I only deal with theatre - but actors always get tagged with secret and unofficlal labels. Some you want back no matter what, others you never want to work with again, (and share this with people who call you about them) and the middle ground where they're actually good at what the do, but if you could find an alternative, you would. PG is dead right - the supporting cast are treated as disposable by the producers and production team - sometimes they're just moving scenery - think extras. If they get noticed by what they do and draw the focus away from the lead, they're out. Kids age very differently. For one, a year makes no difference while for others a year produces a different person - just look at how Harry Potter evolved - some of the supporting cast could have been played by different people as the person matured so quickly. You may also find that the production team assume a lot - the holiday thing is typical. They expect huge amounts from you in commitment and give little in return. The agent advice is also spot on! I very often get involved in things going wrong - and you have the strange situation of the producer falling out with the director, and the two people work together professionally, but the producer gives the director's agent an ear bashing - then the agent calls the director, who responds and then the agent calls the producer - that is part of what the agent's fees are meant to cover - negotiation, good or bad. As long as you stay off the do not employ list, you should be ok - but the re-audition might well be important to them - just to check faces still fit. Oddly, things like height are often important - if the leading lady is of smaller stature, tall kids just look wrong - so during the teens, they need to see them, hence why photos don't really work. They could be ideal in looks, acting skills and voice (important with the lads in their teens) but growth spurts can wreck the casting. Good luck.