Star Now Advice & Safety

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

rebekahamy
BRIT Award

Star Now Advice & Safety

Post by rebekahamy »

Hello everyone :) I am a long time lurker of this forum and found it to be extremely helpful and full of such great and honest advice over the past couple of years, so I have decided to finally bite the bullet and actually post!

I hope this is the right place to post this, I couldn't seem to find an existing thread/topic for it so I thought I would create a new one.

Basically, after much deliberation I have finally paid the subscription to Star Now to see how it goes. So I was wondering if I could first ask you all a favor, and also for some advice. Please could you take a quick look at my profile and let me know if there is anything that could be improved or that I've done wrong? I know many of you have a lot of experience on these things so I would really appreciated any opinions and advice: http://www.starnow.co.uk/rebekahamy

Secondly, I just wanted to ask how to filter the genuine castings from the possible scams? Obviously grammar and spelling are quite good indications, but apart from that I'm finding it quite tricky telling the difference. There are so many 'opportunities' on there that seem too good to be true (and probably are!) and so I'm slightly hesitant to apply for things, especially London based castings which are listed in their thousands! :shock: Is there anything in particular I should be avoiding all together?

Thank you very much :)
"Remember that girl who gave up?
Neither does anyone else."

http://www.starnow.co.uk/rebekahamy
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Re: Star Now Advice & Safety

Post by TalyaB »

Lovely photos. Under 'experience' I think it's usual/helpful to list the production company for each show, or name the stage school etc. Re. scams, there are people on here far more experienced than me, but if anything sounds too good to be true, it probably is. DS has done one student film via Starnow, and was invited to audition for another one but we couldn't make the date. In each case, any questions I asked were answered, and we were sent the script. There are helpful posts on here already - certainly some from PG - if you search around. Best of luck.
rebekahamy
BRIT Award

Post by rebekahamy »

Thank you very much TaylaB :) I have added the production company and stage school now. I hadn't done it before as there was no category for it when I filled in the profile, so I've just added it on to the Location category now so hopefully that's okay. Yes I am hoping to get Pg's opinion on this at some point too, as her posts are so helpful and informative. :D Thank you!

possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Post by possiblypushy »

They are lovely photos, and your hair is stunning; it will certainly make you stand out at an audition! If there is anything that needs tweaking with your profile, then you are right, pg (I think that stands for Performance Goddess) will know. As for me, well I'm very new to this too, so I really don't feel qualified to give an opinion but, for what it's worth, I think it looks great. Good luck!
DQsMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by DQsMum »

Ditto not being any expert at all. I think your SN profile looks great and also think your gorgeous hair is a real asset. If anything at all, I would suggest your main profile picture being in colour not B&W so anyone who is flicking through will see the real you.

Good Luck!!
"I have to act to live" - Sir Lawrence Olivier / http://www.starnow.co.uk/georgiehm
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Post by michbv »

Lots of lovely photos, but I agree with a colour main photo. I find the black and whit ones are too dull, and dont stand out. Trying to find fault but cant! Good work, and best of luck. I have been looking for roles for my son. I think you may get a feeling when jobs are not quite comfortable by the way they are advertised or the places they ask you to go perhaps. Always go with your instinct and let someone else know where you will be if going alone. Enjoy :D

www.starnow.co.uk/adambeaver
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hi Rebekah

I agree - really great photos and I do think colour should be your main image.

I suspect you are probably better at spotting scams than you think! It just needs some common sense and not allowing star dust to blind you.

Here are a few thoughts:

Most high profile, prestigious jobs do not get advertised on Starnow. If you see something that mentions Hollywood, A listers, fame, top directors, etc etc, then be a little (or very) sceptical. Sometimes there are calls for extras for big films but it would be very, very, very rare for a casting call for speaking roles to appear on a site like Starnow for mainstream work on TV or Film for adult actors (pretty rare for children too - but sometimes calls for new talent do go out quite widely).

You might well find interesting opportunities for corporate work or commercials or student or low budget films. The best ones don't pretend to be something they are not.

Genuine casting calls for paid work don't need to "sell" their project. They are normally quite matter of fact and may even say things like: "please do not apply unless you fit the brief".

If you see someone asking for "newcomers" or "experience not required" then do some research. For someone of your age, there would really be no reason to be looking for inexperienced actors - there are plenty of experienced ones around. This kind of post may mean that they are hoping to attract people with little industry knowledge so that they can take advantage of them in some way.

Sometimes Starnow is used to entice people to sign up to agencies or casting directories for money.

If you see something that says "actors aged 17 to 90 needed for exciting project" - ignore it. Genuine casting information will include a casting brief and some dates when the actors need to be available - or will at least give some kind of indication of availability needed. Most genuine directors/CDs know exactly what they need and when they need it (sometimes dates will be flexible, but they should normally state this).

Most Casting Directors don't want unsuitable submissions so they will give quite specific breakdowns.

Lots of low budget or unpaid stuff is made by over-enthusiastic, inexperienced people with delusions of grandeur. That sounds harsh, but it's true. The good ones won't use excessive hype and won't promise the earth. They will also be business-like and will appreciate that you have something they need - they won't expect you to be eternally grateful for the chance to be in something for no money which will probably never be seen by anyone other than their nearest and dearest.

Above all, don't be afraid to ask questions. Genuine people don't mind. Genuine people will be happy to give you information - and the more information you get, the more you can get a "feel" for what they are like. Possibly, with something like Starnow you may have to make an application before you can ask any questions - but don't ever be afraid to walk away from a project at ANY stage. If you are worried about something, take that feeling seriously. Your gut instinct is a good one to follow.

Always take someone with you to an audition if you are uncertain and walk out of an audition if you don't like what they are asking you to do (and report them if it's anything dubious). The vast, vast majority will be completely genuine - though you may still want to walk out if you think they're completely disorganised! You can also turn something down once offered it if you are unsure. You are in control.

Ask for a script if it's an unpaid project. Then you will know whether it's something you want to be involved in. Find out what the deal is on expenses and get it in writing.

I would say, above all, value yourself. If you are right for the project then the employers need you. If you are not right for the project, they don't. They assess you and your skills and you assess them and what they have to offer - that might be money, experience, showreel material, fun - know what it is you hope to gain from a project and try to ensure you get it!

Best of luck.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Just a quick reminder that the Susie Lamplugh Trust offers advice about personal safety that can help you think through the precautions that you can take to keep yourself safe. Go to:

http://www.suzylamplugh.org/personal-sa ... fety-tips/

Hope this helps and good luck with your auditions

Deb x

PS I agree about using the colour photo for your main headshot - your hair is stunning!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Another thought: if the casting information seems to come from someone arrogant, suggesting that you should be grateful for the opportunity, I would avoid these too - even if they sound interesting. The experience will probably be horrible and the project won't be as good as they suggest. You do need a sense that they are either friendly or businesslike. It's even possible to be both!

I find that hyperbole is the biggest red flag. If they are promising wide exposure, red carpets etc etc be very wary. They really can't know whether these things are achievable until after the thing is made, if it's screen work . If it's theatre then if they have a budget it's unlikely to be advertised on Starnow and if it doesn't have a budget it's unlikely to get wide exposure and so on. It's fine to express hopes and ambitions for a project, but there has to be a sense of industry knowledge/reality about it.

The best experiences from a site like Starnow tend to be those that aim to do what they do really well within limitations - and the organisers recognise and are honest about those limitations ( or at least don't try to attract people by suggesting they can deliver fame and fortune).
In4aPenny
GRAMMY Award

Post by In4aPenny »

As the mother of a child actor I'd like to echo the above comments but also add something - some of the ones we've been to turn out to be a private address and not a hired space. This is a fine line between extremely worrying and laid back young people who didn't give this situation a thought. You have to use your common sense. You could always take a friend with you. Make sure people know where you are going and at what time.

I always use google maps in street view to see the premises. One I couldn't find at all it was as if the address didnt exist, so I got back to the advertiser who said 'everyone finds it hard to find' and said she would just meet me in the street. Her studio was within her home. I explained we need to tell someone where we are going and safety with children is a priority in this day and age. They didn't understand why that was important and still said they would meet us in the Street and take us there. At this point we pulled out as it wasn't a life changing opportunity in the first place. It probably would have been fine and the person was probably super laid back or ignorant or arrogant but you have to use common sense.

We have had some great experiences through StarNow but you really have to ask the questions. I always use a mobile phone number and not our home number for added safety as it can narrow down the area you live in. When you first start out and your child can't be traced through bigger credits its best to not use your surname to keep it as anonymous until you secure the job (obviously you need the surname for the credit eventually). However as you are a young adult you decide whether to use your surname on there or just an initial for your surname.

If there is a production company name or a persons name use a search engine and look them up to see what you can find out.

If you want to ask for more information. There should be a script synopsis and you should see the script if you are selected for casting.

You do get the occaisonal arrogant ones but in our experience they are not very often. You occasionally get something big but that is very rare.

One other thing - don't get complacent with safety after several successful castings. Always, always think safety first and ask yourself 'is this really worth it?'.

Good luck
Last edited by In4aPenny on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebekahamy
BRIT Award

Post by rebekahamy »

Thank you so much everyone for all the advice and helpful comments, it is very much appreciated.

I thought that a B&W headshot would be the most professional looking, but I think you all may be right that colour is perhaps more eye-catching, especially with the oh-so subtle red hair :lol: I imagine all the B&W headshots start to look all the same once you've looked through 100 of them! Thank you, I have now changed my main pic to colour- just awaiting StarNow confirmation.

Flosmum - I've not come across that website about safety before, so I will definitely check that out too. Thank you! :)

Thank you very much for your detailed response and info pg, that is all extremely helpful. I have already come across a few 'we are seeking exceptionally talented (yet inexperienced!?) people aged 18-99' :roll: I will definitely be avoiding those of course. And also those that promise the world and more..although I imagine those castings just attract all the wrong kinds of people anyway. I'm sure many people would still apply without all the hype and promises just for the experience.

All I am really hoping to gain from StarNow is some student/short film work to build up my CV and possibly showreel, and any money or exposure would just be a nice bonus.

In4aPenny - thank you for the tip about Google Street View, I will definitely be doing that in the future! :)

mumtomil
GRAMMY Award

Post by mumtomil »

Great profile!
If u could all take a look at my dds it would be much appreciated-
www.starnow.co.uk/millyzero
13 girl with ambitions to be in the westend.
www.starnow.co.uk/millyzero
millymollymandy
Nominee

Post by millymollymandy »

wow!!!! so many talented kids around, you must all be very proud, please feel free to view my dd's and feedback for improvement is welcome. keep up the fantastic work!!http://www.starnow.co.uk/mystarnow/MyProfile.aspx
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

millymollymandy, that link just took me to MY dds starnow page!
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

I think its the landing page but if you are logged in it will take you to your own kids page?