Star Now - Sub Rosa

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Star Now - Sub Rosa

Post by francescasmum »

There is a casting call on Star Now (which has been on Mandy for a week or two also) which asks for 3 actors, in particular an 8 year old girl.
After reading the script I would suggest you DO NOT apply. The gist of the story is that the flower shop is a front for a brothel!
The opening scene is the girl standing in the playground with her pant around her ankles with boys looking up her dress! There are a few other disturbing sceens too.
clemmywoo
BRIT Award

Re: Star Now - Sub Rosa

Post by clemmywoo »

Did you just read the script or all the other documents that came with it too?
This came though our agent and there is a lot of information on how this is going to be filmed in order to protect the child involved and make sure that they are safe
It is a demanding role which can potentially show good skills.
That aside, I totally understand that one might feel very wary about this, but I have asked a lot of questions.
X
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

I read the other stuff that came through and the way they are going to get round many of the more prevocative scenes, but there were several that I wouldn't feel comfortable with my dd being involved in even if the adult part isn't actually being acted out in front of her. My daughter is very nieve but also very intelligent and I just know she would ask why she was having icecream licked off her knee!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

:shock:

Sounds like a difficult film. There was a thought-provoking little peice about children playing difficult roles in The Guardian this week. It's worth a look: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/shortcut ... NTCMP=SRCH
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

Thanks for this, Francescamum. I did see it, and didn't apply because I could read between the lines where it was going. Didn't think it was so bad :shock: :shock: :shock:
I wouldn't do it even for Steven Spielpberg. I did mention in an another post that I wouldn't have allowed my dd to do Taxi driver meanwhile, of course, I would have been very happy with ET, now reading the Guardian article (thanks Sapphire) and the different life of Jodie Foster and Drew Barrymore it really looks like right or wrong depends on lots of different variable not just the content of the film (although tbh the Exorcist no! no! and no! ever!)
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

The trouble with children playing roles like this, when they are young it is us who decide weather they do these parts or not and with the interned it will never go away, just needs a child from there class to see it and every one will know so child might get bullied. I feel untill a child is old enough to chose them selfs that they want to play these roles then not right to let them. I know that I would never let any of my children do any thing like that.
sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

Post by sophiesocks »

Interesting I never considered how it might be perceived by school friends and their parents.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Irishdancer wrote:I feel untill a child is old enough to chose them selfs that they want to play these roles then not right to let them.
I think that's how I feel too Irishdancer.
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

My parents were hard workers who scrimped and struggled to make ends meet like other parents in the late 60's. Thru a friend of a friend I (as a 2 year old) was offered a main role in a feature film paying £6 per day (my Dad earned £7 a week at the time). So to my parents it was a fortune, filming for 5 weeks. But then they found out there was a rape scene and I was in the cot in the same room crying whilst my Mum was being attacked. They felt (as Irish Dancer says) that obv I was too young to make a decision about being in a rape scene and they decided to pull me from the film. It was a massive massive sacrifice as they were so short of money but I always remember this and try to use it as a marker for my own kids as well when anything controversial might be suggested.
ditzymum
BRIT Award

Post by ditzymum »

Have read extra material sent through from production team & agree, this film is far too provocative for any child, the ice cream scene alone would be a hard thing to explain away!
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

Interesting I never considered how it might be perceived by school friends and their parents.
I forgot (PG) in the list of things that I consider when apply THERE IS first and foremost what dc's friends would think of it. I know that it is more important the end result and the 'art', but I am far more worry of my dc than the director win an oscar. I did ask to remove from the script of a short film a scene where my ds was so scare that he wet himself. The director said that they would just put some water on his trouser and would have done it nicely. I read the script very carefully. Believe me, the scene was not going to add absolutely nothing and honestly they could do without it (AND we are not talking Spielberg here). I know, it wasn't a major thing, no violence involved, but I knew that someone at school (possibly out of jealousy) would have teased him. Anyway, the director said that there was no problem and didn't film that scene. Can you imagine if I would do anything like Sub Rosa.
I don't even know if my dc will pursue the acting career and whatever they do is going to be on internet forever. For now, I want them to be happy to show it to their friend and family and be proud of the things they do, even if they are quite simple. At the end of the day, this is all about to build their confidence not to embarrass them.
In4aPenny
GRAMMY Award

Post by In4aPenny »

Thanks for the heads up on this.

However they approach it and make it sound reasonable :shock: at the end of the day all the perverts are really going to get off on it. :shock:

I agree with all above about protecting our DCs.
Tess
BRIT Award

Post by Tess »

It also really worries me that there are adults happy to play a role which involves licking ice cream off a child in that manner, even if it is acting.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

It isn't an adult licking the ice-cream, the little girl tells a young boy to do it after witnessing a SIMILAR act by her mother and a gentleman caller!!
Obviously the girl wouldn't really witness the act but still.
Tess
BRIT Award

Post by Tess »

Oh ok, I guess that makes it slightly better. Think it's hard to judge this one without reading all the scenarios etc. I would just be very careful about reading all their child protection policy to see that they have thought through everything properly. You've still got the end result of what the film looks like though. I know mne would want to watch their own film!