NYT members casting tomorrow

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

NYT members casting tomorrow

Post by JTBmum »

Anyone's dc going to London casting tomorrow?
Jellybabies
GRAMMY Award

Re: NYT members casting tomorrow

Post by Jellybabies »

hi there do you mean the audition to become a member? if so im going :)
do you have any idea what sort of things they do in the workshop part? x
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

they put everyone into groups, - size of the group depends on how many are auditioning - you'll be given topics and have to put a performance together to show to everyone. They'll watch how you interact with others, how you communicate your ideas, make sure you don't take over, and consider everyone elses opinion> Enjoy yourself , good luck
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Jellybabies wrote:hi there do you mean the audition to become a member? if so im going :)
do you have any idea what sort of things they do in the workshop part? x
When my DD did it they played some usual drama games etc. Then they did some improv in groups. Individually they did their monologues and had a very freindly interview - make sure you know more than just the monologue, you need to know what the play is about etc. Good Luck.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

no sorry, it was for those who are already members, but casting for 2012 NYT productions. :D
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccaM »

My dd isn't a member but did have her nyt audition today - I would be interested to know if you have any thoughts on the age of the applicants they tend to put through. Many people at the venue seemed to be in years 12/13. Just wondered as my dd is on the younger end of the 14-21 age range.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

My DD went to Birmingham last weekend for the entry auditions, and she was also definitely in the minority, being in Year 9. She said there was almost nobody else there below year 11, and as your DD said the majority seemed to be over 16.
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccaM »

Thank you Nicola - it just made me question to myself why they don't put the age range slightly higher to 16-21? The auditioner who was lovely made the point to my DD that she herself didn't get into NYT until she was 18. If they consider 14 too young, I wish they would say on their website - I am very happy to support the NYT but I also like to manage my DDs expectations!!
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Hi ds got in in 2007 - he is now 17 turning 18 in August. He was one of the youngest. He had a good monologue - Georges marvellous medicine -and was quite confident about it having had had help from his school drama teacher. However, I was a bit worried when he went off to the residential in Hammersmith as they all went out in London in the evenings 8-[
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

I was concerned for the same reason Rebecca, although I do have it on good authority that on the year before last's membership course, there were about six 14 year olds, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

I think maybe what it comes down to is if they have 2 students, both of similar ability but one is older and on their 3rd try (so have proved how keen and tenacious they are, and with time running out) and one is only just turned 14 (like my DD - 14th birthday 6 days before the audition) then it makes more sense to give the place to the older person as the younger person has more chance to reapply?

My DD really enjoyed the day, so it didn't feel like a waste of time, and has already said she'll give it another go next year if she doesn't get in. I tried to be realistic with her from the beginning regarding her chances, and so to treat this year as a trial run - then that way, by next year she'll know what to expect. Managing expectations is SOOOO tough - especially with a wait now until 6th April!

JTBmum - did they used to have an even younger age range still then? He must have only been 12 when he auditioned?!
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccaM »

Wow JTBmum, well done to your DS - what happens when they are members? Do they still have a training course every year? I know they can audition for NYT productions - is that also as competitive? Yes Nicola, fingers crossed for the 6th - my DD has also said she'll give it another go next year. Plenty of time to seek out monologues!!!
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

my dd auditioned years ago, ON her 13th birthday and she was put into a group of mainly 18/19 year olds !! she didn't get in ! They do tend to take the older teens, but they have a quota to fill of younger ones - it depends on the competition each year I think. I don't know if the 'venue' you audition at makes any difference - but had some strange statistics of those NOT getting in to NYT from certain venues more than others - or that may just be a coincidence ? they don't have anywhere on the form anymore to my knowledge to say how many times you've auditioned before, they stopped and deleted that bit - They may of course find out during the interview stage if you tell them ! It is on ability not on how many times you've auditioned. For last chance saloon applicants who are 20 though, I think then it has an influence !
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

They definitely do have all your previous audition data to hand - on the same database that they now instantly put your remarks on during the session via their laptop in the audition room (hence the reason for them not putting on the form how many times you've applied, I guess - they don't need you to tell them as they already know!)

And it would seem they have indeed changed the age criteria over the last few year then. You now have to be 14 by the time of the workshop (middle of August) to be considered.
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

Nicola wrote:They definitely do have all your previous audition data to hand - on the same database that they now instantly put your remarks on during the session via their laptop in the audition room (hence the reason for them not putting on the form how many times you've applied, I guess - they don't need you to tell them as they already know!)

And it would seem they have indeed changed the age criteria over the last few year then. You now have to be 14 by the time of the workshop (middle of August) to be considered.
when my dd first auditioned you had to be 13 by the date of your audition ! She auditioned again 2 years later and the form had completely changed ! but they didn't have a record of her having auditioned before aged 13 because she asked ! I guess it was after that they used everything on database records ! I think you're right....that they'd recognise persistance/how many times you've auditioned ...which could very well sway a decision in some cases....if they are on the fence about who to pick !
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Maybe it's new this year? I know that in DD's group there was one candidate who they explained couldn't have their allocated slot, as that would have been for an auditioner who had seen them in a previous year, so they swapped him to the other person.

Probably a relief to that person to know that they're weren't getting the same person who hadn't put them through the previous year - like turning up at your driving test and realising it's the same examiner that you stormed off from last time!!