Is 4yrs old too young?

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

stagecoach2007
GRAMMY Award

Is 4yrs old too young?

Post by stagecoach2007 »

Ive noticed on here that majority of you have been doing auditions for quite some time so really value your views. my hubby seems to think that 4 years old is to young to be doing film castings. he feels we should wait untill ds is 5-6 years old. i on the other hand love the confidence that our ds has and want to encourage it rather than wait 2 years and risk ds losing it.
would love to know your views on this and wether you think we should wait a while x
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Re: Is 4yrs old too young?

Post by Irishdancer »

I don't think it's 2 young both my boys started at 3 youngest was in EastEnders from the age of 4 to 6 don't think it's the age it if the kids enjoy filming and want to do it that matters.
ash

Post by ash »

mine have been filming since 3 and baby respectively
Rachel_M
GRAMMY Award

Post by Rachel_M »

I don't think its too young at all. The age doesn't really matter in my opinion, I think the right age for children to start is the age when they are confident and eager, so if your ds is confident and willing now, then you should go for it.

My dd started at age 12 (although she hasn't actually been cast in anything professional to date unfortunately) and she is always wishing that she had started younger. So I think the younger you start the better really :)
Last edited by Rachel_M on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angela
BRIT Award

Post by Angela »

I never thought about it for dd and then when she was 13 she went for Ballet Girl in Billy Elliot.
She got the part and loved it but now at 15 coming on 16 this year she is the wrong side of licencing.
What I am trying to say is we both wish she has started younger as the window is only small.
My ds started at a younger age and has 2 (nearly 3) big west end shows under his belt and he is only 13.
So my opionion if of any worth is go at whatever age you and your ds feels comfortable with.
You could always try and if it doesn't work have a break as he is only young then try again later.
Thats only my opinion of course.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
:D :D :D :D :D
sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

Post by sophiesocks »

my dd started in short films at the age of 2 1/2 she was able to take direction really well and loved interacting with new people, she still loves to act and has greatly enjoyed all the opportunities thrown her way and we have some lovely footage to keep as memories, my younger dd was in a short at the age of 10 months, only really because she happened to be there!! she hasnt done anything else but if an opportunity came along i would certainly give it a go and see if she had fun. my younger son has acted since he was 5 and 3 years later still really enjoys it and is taking part in a short film tomorrow and saturday, i would say nothing ventured nothing gained
stagecoach2007
GRAMMY Award

Post by stagecoach2007 »

I think my fear is that they will expect too much from him. ds was invited in for an audition with Kelly management a couple of weeks ago. when i phoned to arrange appointment they said in audition he would have to read something. they automatically assumed he could read lol... when i told them he wasnt even at school yet they said to call again when he can read..... bless!!! saying that the man was very sweet on the phone....
sparklymommy
BRIT Award

Post by sparklymommy »

You would be amazed what kids do when asked.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mine was 3 weeks old when he did his first commercial but it was for pampers lol.

There is no right or wrong as long as your son is having fun and it is not impinging on his normal childhood. You know your own child and shouldn't worry about what others might say. I would however reccomend that you check your own motives about why you are doing and what your child needs regularly, not because I am suggesting there is anything wrong with them, just that you check them so you know why you are doing it.

Also be aware of all the rules about working hours they are there for his protection and because in this business some companies either dont know the rules or are perhaps reckless to them.

At the end of the day what is right for one family isn't for another and every opportunity is different.

Whatever enjoy the experiences you both share they will last a life time.
Hope Never Dies....