Les Miserables

A place where you can review Films.

Moderator: busybusybusy

mogs
BAFTA Award

Les Miserables

Post by mogs »

I can't believe this post hasn't been done yet :shock: Come on then, lets share - what did we think? Talking to my friends it's quite a mixed response. Everyone seems to have enjoyed it but prefers seeing it on stage.
I thought it was outstanding. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathway were amazing and I thought the close ups of them crying etc just made it more intense. I loved it. =D> =D> =D>
DQsMum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Les Miserables

Post by DQsMum »

:D My DD (12) LOVED it and says she can't wait to take me so that I can cry as much as she did. :cry:

;) Anyway NAPM's, as they employed plenty of children, we must salute the makers \:D/ \:D/ and encourage more of them to include our DC's -

And a big Congratulations =D> =D> and WELL DONE \:D/ to the DC's on this site who were in the film.
"I have to act to live" - Sir Lawrence Olivier / http://www.starnow.co.uk/georgiehm
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

I loved it.....but cried so much. I know some of the actors got stick for their singing, but I think it shows a lot of courage. I love the fact that they've made a movie of it, and I think they've kept true to the story and the show. Some fantastic acting, especially from the younger cast members, and good luck to them all - looks like they are having a blast. Also agree that using kids was great - too many movies ad shows nowadays shy away from this, so massive congratulations to the producers/directors for doing this. Not sure which agencies supplied the kids - but they did a great job!
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

It was visually stunning and Anne Hathaway was incredible. Hugh Jackman was also brilliant. =D> Casting Colm as the priest was pure genius.

BUT

Russell Crowe should never have been cast as Javert. {evil} "Stars" was utterly wasted on him. Shame.

I would echo the praise for the children in the film. Gavroche was excellent and I enjoyed the extension of young Cosette's role.

I wasn't sure about some of the cuts and reordering of the score. The 2nd half seemed a bit disjointed at times. However, overall the film is spectacular. Take plenty of tissues.
mogs
BAFTA Award

Post by mogs »

Stars was a big letdown. Like you I thought the children were fantastic. The scene with the medal (won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet) really got to me. Cried from the moment he gave val jean the candlesticks and was an emotional wreck by the end. Lol
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Flo and I saw it on Saturday afternoon. I was in floods of tears from about 5 mins in and carried on blarting throughout. It was great!

Gavroche and Little Cosette are excellent. They both bring something fresh to the piece. Stand-out performances from Anne Hathaway and Eddie Redmayne. Hugh was soooooo close but just doesn't have the pipes for big numbers like 'Bring Him Home'. And Russell was out of his depth with the singing, which detracted from the acting for both make leads. Shame.

Loved Colm Wilkinson's Bishop of Digne - gentle but compelling. And it's lovely to see a few other faces from musical theatre in supporting roles. I'll admit to an inappropriate titter at Amanda's vibrato.

All in all a movie well worth seeing - probably more than once. And it will probably continue to pull in the awards. I hope some of the backstagers get recognition for eg the sets, the costumes, the make up and the music.

Now, here's a delicious irony (given the subject of the movie). Since Les Mis premiered in the States, the views of You Tube clips of other Jean Valjeans have gone through the roof, especially Alfie Boe's performance of Bring Him Home at the 25 Anniversary concert. And they have attracted comparisons with Hugh J's performance - not generally flattering to Mr J. So Universal have started to systematically block access to the You Tube clips.

Whatever happened to the democracy of the Internet and freedom of speech? Universal don't appear to want to 'hear the people sing' do they? So some 'Friends of Alfie Boe' have set up a petition on Change.org asking for the videos to be reinstated - after all, Universal were happy enough for them to be there for the past two years. So if you fancy joining the boys at the barricades here's the link for you to add your signature:

http://www.change.org/petitions/univers ... on-youtube

Oh - and if you haven't seen the film yet, it's well worth the admission fee. Go enjoy!

Deb x
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Our whole family went last Saturday, L had already been on Friday and wanted to go again! Sobbed (or blarted - what a great word!) from the candlesticks moment on! Loved the close up singing and the rawness of 'I dreamed a dream' and 'empty chairs' - I thought Eponine was possibly a little too well fed and well spoken while singing, and Amanda's voice put me in mind of Gizmo from Gremlins! Loved the final stand by Enjolas and his friend in the upstairs room, and the Thenadiers brought a welcome comic relief every so often, they were brilliant !
Younger dd was sobbing her heart out at the end, but she then went to see it again on Sunday with her friend!
I loved it.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

igloobabe wrote:Our whole family went last Saturday, L had already been on Friday and wanted to go again! Sobbed (or blarted - what a great word!) from the candlesticks moment on! Loved the close up singing and the rawness of 'I dreamed a dream' and 'empty chairs' - I thought Eponine was possibly a little too well fed and well spoken while singing, and Amanda's voice put me in mind of Gizmo from Gremlins! Loved the final stand by Enjolas and his friend in the upstairs room, and the Thenadiers brought a welcome comic relief every so often, they were brilliant !
Younger dd was sobbing her heart out at the end, but she then went to see it again on Sunday with her friend!
I loved it.
Everything you said igloobabe!

Loved Eddie Redmayne's Marius - best I've ever seen =D> =D> =D> I still don't think you can beat John Owen Jones' Valjean .

I was a bit worried by the prostitute scenes - it being a 12A. We had to tell 12 year old dd what a prostitute was afterwards :oops: She had seen the stage version but not really registered what was happening in those scenes then.
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I am still to see it 8-[
DS saw it Saturday and he has seen the stage show twice now.
He thought 'wolverine' was brilliant and also Anne Hathaway, but he adores her..
he really wasnt impressed with Amanda's warbling - he thought it was awful, and yes she is just like a gremlin singing at midnight :D ;)
vibrato overload!
He was also pleased to see his back when walking towards the reindeer
6 days on set for that - but apparently it was a handsome back!! =D> =D>
great to say "he was there" and part of history in the making lol
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
dodgepot
BRIT Award

Post by dodgepot »

DD and I went on the 11th like the eager beavers we are :D Mucho blarting from the outset :lol: LOVED Anne Hathaway (who couldn't!) the rawness was utterly breathtaking. Hugh could have been a tree and I would have approved :oops: :oops: :oops: Russell... bless he didn't detract from our enjoyment but I do think that there are others that could have done it better.
On another note... on New Years Day DH and I went out for lunch in deepest darkest Dorset and sat across from a couple who both "looked familiar" but we couldn't place. Much racking of brains to no avail, it was one of those Grrrrrrr moments when you know you know but you can't do anything to prompt the old grey matter ](*,) How relieved was I when she popped up as the particularly vindictive factory worker with the fabulous cheekbones! Kate Fleetwood and her rather impressive husband Rupert Goold!!!! Mystery solved! \:D/ \:D/
Really?
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Finall y got round to seeing this film today - the snow got in the way earlier :D - and really enjoyed it. Unlike other posters i loved Russel Crowe (must confess to have had a crush on him for at least 10 years :oops: :oops: ) as I though he acted his socks off in a way a better singer mightnot have. Loved Marius, Fantine, Eponine (best singer by far) JVJ and Enjolas (no one has mentioned him - though he was excellent). Hugely disappointed with both Thenardiers - thought they were weak esp SBC :( - and as for Cosette well.................. have rarely heard such a thin reedy voice on film.

Despote my gripes I looved the film but had to run to toilets at the end to repair my face as I had mascara and eye liner half way down my cheeks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hugh Jackman acted well but for sheer singing this is my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrH-94ef4NY
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Welsh Mum wrote:
Hugh Jackman acted well but for sheer singing this is my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrH-94ef4NY
Yes, J O-J knocks the socks off Mt Jackman, but IMHO (and Flo's too) even he can't match the amazing Alfie Boe:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tI4jb-Ac ... I4jb-Aca9M

I think I posted earlier that Universal have blocked access to many recordings of Bring Him Home by Alfie and others on You Tube, because of unflattering comparisons with the 'live' singing in their movie. Fortunately this one from last year's concert with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir seems to be immune from their scissors.

Enjoy!

Deb x
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

I signed the petition :)

Love AB - have seen him in concert as well where I was in the front row ;) - but JOJ just :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: wins in for me
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Welsh Mum wrote: JOJ just :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: wins in for me
Hmm....could it be something to do with Welshness by any chance? :lol: You're right, J O-J has a special something, and he is our Phantom, but Alfie is our JVJ. Wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same opinions?

Deb x
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

dodgepot wrote:DD and I went on the 11th like the eager beavers we are :D Mucho blarting from the outset :lol: LOVED Anne Hathaway (who couldn't!) the rawness was utterly breathtaking. Hugh could have been a tree and I would have approved :oops: :oops: :oops: Russell... bless he didn't detract from our enjoyment but I do think that there are others that could have done it better.
On another note... on New Years Day DH and I went out for lunch in deepest darkest Dorset and sat across from a couple who both "looked familiar" but we couldn't place. Much racking of brains to no avail, it was one of those Grrrrrrr moments when you know you know but you can't do anything to prompt the old grey matter ](*,) How relieved was I when she popped up as the particularly vindictive factory worker with the fabulous cheekbones! Kate Fleetwood and her rather impressive husband Rupert Goold!!!! Mystery solved! \:D/ \:D/

Wow that's so cool, I actually thought she was particularly good, really made the most of that part!