Robin Hood

A place where you can review Films.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Robin Hood

Post by Welsh Mum »

I am a HUGE fan of Russell Crowe and ai loved this film. He is very good, even though his English accent veers widely all over the place - Geordie, Irish, Midlands, Yorkshire to name but a few :lol: :lol: :lol: . However, I live him as an actor, and if you liked him in Gladiator than you will like this film. Cate Blanchette is excellent as well, they act very well together (whoever first pencilled in Sienna Miller for the role?? :shock: :shock: ). The other characters are well played, with Mark Strong a menacing baddie. I was also impressed at the way medieval life was portrayed - very authentic.

However, I di wish makers of historical films would NOT tinker with historical facts. :x :x :x Yes, I know they will say its entertainment, but lots of people - children especially - will get their history from fo=ilms like this and so get the WRONG facts e.g Richard Lionheart did not die in battle but in a French dungeon after a long imprisonment, the French did not invade in John's reign, the English king owned just as much of France as the French king did, William Marshall was not a reformer, you could not have got from Nottingham to the South Coast in a day......there is a long list of factual inaccuracies. [-X [-X [-X

But if you like a good historical romp, with great battle scenes and good characters the give this film a go.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
lilly
BRIT Award

Re: Robin Hood

Post by lilly »

It was a good film. My dd was an extra in the village and spoke to most of the lead cast who were all really nice to her, especially Cate Blanchette. It was, I agree, confusing with the history - but very entertaining. =D>
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

Welsh Mum wrote:children especially - will get their history from fo=ilms like this and so get the WRONG facts e.g Richard Lionheart did not die in battle but in a French dungeon after a long imprisonment, the French did not invade in John's reign, the English king owned just as much of France as the French king did, William Marshall was not a reformer, you could not have got from Nottingham to the South Coast in a day......there is a long list of factual inaccuracies. [-X [-X [-X
:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks for the History lesson Welsh Mum
hmmmm as for Russell Crowe's accent - :-& he's walked out of a couple of interviews because they've mentioned his (appalling) confusing use of 'accents' - My dd said that Kate Blanchett was wooden in it - more wooden than the trees in Sherwood Forest, according to one radio station ! I haven't seen it yet, but being directed by the same director who teamed up with Russell Crowe in 'Gladiator' too...it sound bit predictable - But worth a look -I reserve judgement on this one.
Oh....I'd love to have been an extra in this, but I think I would have tried to get as close to Russell as I could by hiding behind the nearest tree to whereever he was :oops:
shortguy
GRAMMY Award

Post by shortguy »

Alot of this was filmed locally to us and Russell Crowe would jog up from film set to a cafe next door to the shop my sister works in. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Never look down on anybody else unless you are helping them up"
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

shortguy wrote:Alot of this was filmed locally to us and Russell Crowe would jog up from film set to a cafe next door to the shop my sister works in. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As my DD would say - OMG!!!!!! Did your sister see him? I would love to - he is one of my favourites :oops: :oops:
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

[quote=" :lol: :lol: :lol: thanks for the History lesson Welsh Mum
:oops:[/quote]

Sorry , can't switch off from work :D :D ;)
shortguy
GRAMMY Award

Post by shortguy »

Welsh Mum wrote:
shortguy wrote:Alot of this was filmed locally to us and Russell Crowe would jog up from film set to a cafe next door to the shop my sister works in. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As my DD would say - OMG!!!!!! Did your sister see him? I would love to - he is one of my favourites :oops: :oops:
Yes lots of times and so did my DD once who has a Saturday job there :mrgreen:
"Never look down on anybody else unless you are helping them up"
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

Awww :mrgreen:
WELLLLL>...... I nearly ran over Daniel Craig a couple of months ago \:D/ \:D/ I slowed right down and he practically brushed the bumper of my car as he strode past me !! I did flutter my eyelashes and smile (but I must have looked like a complete dork as i think my jaw had dropped in awe and it stayed in that position..as I was a bit overcome !!)
Mind you .......I wouldn't have stood a hope in hell....as he was holding hands with a stunning young woman who looked like a model... {evil} !!!!!!!