pantomime

General Auditions that have no specified ages

Moderator: busybusybusy

rebeccas1
BRIT Award

pantomime

Postby rebeccas1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:56 am

hi where do people find out about panto auditions and know which ones are reputable? thanks

biscuitsneeded
GRAMMY Award

Re: pantomime

Postby biscuitsneeded » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Often on the websites of local theatres. Do a google for panto auditions plus the names of local towns/theatres and see what comes up. Whereabouts roughly are you? If they're professional they'll have to abide by licensing requirements anyway.

loladd33
BRIT Award

Postby loladd33 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi,
There's a local panto every year in our town. They look for dancers age 9-15 but it's a LOT of work! You have to miss 6 days of school and whole Saturdays to rehearse aswell as paying for some parts of costumes. My DD has wanted to do it before but I have said no as it is a lot of work, strain and money just for a local panto!
However you can usually find applications/audition information on your local theatres website! Hope this helps you
"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard." Aim for both! :D

biscuitsneeded
GRAMMY Award

Postby biscuitsneeded » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 pm

A reputable professional panto would never ask you to fund costumes. Am dram might be different (and I'm not knocking it, as DS has done am dram too and has learnt a lot from it). But yes, you should be prepared for an intensive rehearsal period, missing school for performances and a fairly punishing run of up to 40 performances. But it's great fun and very valuable experience. It does need parents not to mind spending Xmas ferrying DC to and from the theatre, but if your child wants to perform I think it's a great way to get professional experience. Some companies do ask parents to get a chaperone licence and do their share of performances, but not all.

There is a company near us that puts on a panto every year. They use professional creatives and performers, then hold auditions for kids and recruit 5 different teams. Each child has to pay £90 to take part and buy a certain number of tickets, and with so many teams of kids they only get 10 performances each. I don't think that's great practice, but they still don't struggle to find enough children wanting to take part. DS has done pro panto in a bigger venue locally 3 times. Two teams, about 35 - 40 performances, qualified chaperones and no parent duties beyond getting the DC to Stage Door. He loves it.

lawn
BRIT Award

Postby lawn » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:29 pm

DD got offered a part in a professional panto from her very first audition, less than a year after starting drama classes. We were all thrilled. 3 months later on though, just weeks before rehearsals would have started, the panto was pulled blaming poor ticket sales. We had one disappointed child. If it had gone ahead, she would have had to miss some school for rehearsals and shows and we knew that we'd have to run her around to get there.

That was a few years ago and another panto has never come up, so last year she auditioned for one that is am dram, but very popular in the town. However, the standard was poor IMO and very disorganised. I kept having to chase them about if they'd applied for the child performance licence for example. All rehearsals and shows were outside of school time and we didn't have to pay for costumes, but we did a small amount to become members of the theatre company, from memory around £20ish I think. DD enjoyed it, but I became aware that the standard wasn't as high as the drama group she attends and it's put me off putting her forward for anything else at the minute outside of her own group.

Kasmum
Nominee

Postby Kasmum » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:26 am

My son went for a lost boy at The Gordon Craig Stevenage peter pan last christmas and was selected for Michael! Acting with tom lister and twist and pulse. His first audition outside of school/theatre school. Its a punishing schedule, 5 days off school, parents were asked to help with chaperoning. However the kids got paid £80 for the run, and we got £8 per show chaperoning. It was an experience he'll never forget. Very tempted to do another.

Millyweaver
BRIT Award

Postby Millyweaver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 am

DS has done local professional panto for four years running since he was 8. He got paid £60 and had a blast! Yes it was very hard-30 performances and lots of late nights/time off school but the experience was amazing. We're lucky as our panto is small and friendly but with a fab reputation (regularly in top 10 to see..) and DS always made great friends with the adults and got to ask them endless questions about how to get into the industry. This year he got into YMT uk and I put that hugely down in part to his experience with panto. You have to learn professionalism very quickly or you don't get chosen again and it certainly makes them work out if they want to do it seriously. It's not for the faint hearted or those that just like a bit of singing or dancing but personally I think it's well worth it in terms of learning stagecraft both on and off stage!

Return to “General Auditions”