Rocketman - Jo Hawes Casting

Postby Humph » Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 am

I hope this is useful for someones DS :

ROCKETMAN - a Paramount / Goldcrest film to be directed by Dexter Fletcher

Filming dates August - rehearsal and pre-recording prior dates TBC
Shooting on location and at Bray Studios
****Auditions as soon as I can organise them.****

Two boys to be cast for this to play the young Elton John
Fair skinned, fab voices - they have to sing Elton John numbers - some movement for the younger one whilst the older one has to dance.

Boy 1 / to play 6 years old - he will sing The Bitch is Back
Boy 2 / 12 - 14 years old - broken voice - he will sing Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting and I Want Love

Elton John (born Reginald Dwight) was always going to be “someone" and this is what these boys have to like - special. This boy is smart, quick witted and talented. These boys must be fabulous actors. They can live anywhere in the UK but must be able to deliver a London accent - Elton John was born in Pinner so whilst we will see boys from all over, other accents will need to be eliminated.
Taron Egerton is playing Elton and he is 5 foot 7 so the height limit for the older boy is 5’4.
Please make suggestions to me on email with name, height a photo and a few lines about any previous experience. Please make that info short - bullet points is fine - and please do not direct me to Spotlight links.

If your child / client is suitable / interestred / available please email me back asap. The first auditions are this coming Saturday in London - there nothing to prepare - we will do it all at the time.

Proseccoplease
BRIT Award

Re: Rocketman - Jo Hawes Casting

Postby Proseccoplease » Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 pm

DS was seen for this last year-guess they didn’t find what they wanted! Piano was asked for before so guess that made it too selective! Needs to be a short 14 year old though! What a lovely part for someone’s DS!

islandofsodor
BAFTA Award

Postby islandofsodor » Thu May 24, 2018 2:21 pm

I wonder if 5ft is too short for a 14 year old?
Everybody has the right to dream

biscuitsneeded
GRAMMY Award

Postby biscuitsneeded » Fri May 25, 2018 11:00 am

I also think they will struggle to find a 14 year old with a broken voice who is under 5 foot 4. As a teacher of secondary I would say that voices usually break earlier when boys are taller. Also in my experience they take a while to get used to their newly broken voice and may not be at their singing best at 14! I bet they end up going with an unbroken voice or aging the character to more like 16.

TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Postby TalyaB » Fri May 25, 2018 11:09 am

DS is 17 and no longer dances or sings MT, but at 14 would have fitted this brief perfectly, whereas at the time there was nothing for a short boy with a broken voice ](*,)

islandofsodor
BAFTA Award

Postby islandofsodor » Fri May 25, 2018 1:52 pm

biscuitsneeded wrote:I also think they will struggle to find a 14 year old with a broken voice who is under 5 foot 4. As a teacher of secondary I would say that voices usually break earlier when boys are taller. Also in my experience they take a while to get used to their newly broken voice and may not be at their singing best at 14! I bet they end up going with an unbroken voice or aging the character to more like 16.

I have a 14 year old with a broken voice but he might be too short!

Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Postby Lolalou » Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm

All of this AND looking like the actor they’ve cast as Elton? Big ask. Wait till they decide they want piano as well again... :roll:

Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Postby Adrianna1312 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:08 pm

Anyone's DS been to the auditions last Saturday and able to give any info on what was asked on the day please?

Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Postby Lolalou » Wed May 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Improv and singing the songs as per the casting brief plus lines to learn and act

Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Postby Adrianna1312 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Thank you

Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Postby Adrianna1312 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:37 am

Anyone heard any more on this one?

mariap
Nominee

Postby mariap » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 am

DS went for pre-audition sifting on Saturday, they did acting games for the director. 3 boys from his group of around 12 got through, all different sizes - not sure what they're looking for! :-k

islandofsodor
BAFTA Award

Postby islandofsodor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:29 am

Ds didn't get through. He said one boy who did get through had an unbroken voice.

He found it very challenging as he hasn't had the benefit of attending proper drama classes so he'd never played those kinds of improvisation games before. He is autistic and found that kind of interaction and working in a pair tricky (sorry to whoevers ds had to act out "contemplate the meaning of life after my ds's turn). Previous auditions have always been a prepared monologue/song and then having to take direction.

But it was a learning experience that his shown him where his weaknesses are.

Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Postby Adrianna1312 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Interesting about the unbroken voice. We sent DS details in and he was asked to go along Saturday. I didn't initially see the "broken voice" bit but when I did a emailed CD to say his isn't gone yet so I didn't take him! ](*,)
Really wish I'd let him go now!

Lechia78
GRAMMY Award

Postby Lechia78 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 am

Adrianna1312 wrote:Interesting about the unbroken voice. We sent DS details in and he was asked to go along Saturday. I didn't initially see the "broken voice" bit but when I did a emailed CD to say his isn't gone yet so I didn't take him! ](*,)
Really wish I'd let him go now!

Can you email and ask to take him now. Just say you didn’t think they would want to see boys with unbroken voices (play dumb) lol

Return to “Auditions 9-15 years”