The kid who would be king

Auditions for the 9-15 year old age group

Moderator: busybusybusy

tsunami
Nominee

Re: The kid who would be king

Postby tsunami » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 pm

sorry to revive this, but it looks like Tom Taylor (from Doctor Foster) has been cast as well

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Postby riverdancefan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Having seen an article about this casting and all the other celebrity offspring’s casting going on, I truly wonder why we even bother going for these big blockbusters.
I appreciate the kids who are cast are usually excellent young actors but it must help to get a foot in the door to be considered if your Dad is best mates with the director of the film!
My cynicism has grown enormously over the last few years and of course it’s suck it up or ship out.
But I can’t help feeling it’s nothing but a huge public exercise, and a bit of a p:@s take AND a reason to pay casting agents when there isn’t a hope in hell of anyone who doesn’t have connections being cast.
It’s the same boring old routine,international search- Big fanfare !!! - 1000’s seen- !!!!! established name or good connections bags role in 99% of examples.
I totally get why you help your own, but at least own that and don’t pretend it’s anyrhing other than it is.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE

jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Postby jennifer1972 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm

riverdancefan wrote:Having seen an article about this casting and all the other celebrity offspring’s casting going on, I truly wonder why we even bother going for these big blockbusters.
I appreciate the kids who are cast are usually excellent young actors but it must help to get a foot in the door to be considered if your Dad is best mates with the director of the film!
My cynicism has grown enormously over the last few years and of course it’s suck it up or ship out.
But I can’t help feeling it’s nothing but a huge public exercise, and a bit of a p:@s take AND a reason to pay casting agents when there isn’t a hope in hell of anyone who doesn’t have connections being cast.
It’s the same boring old routine,international search- Big fanfare !!! - 1000’s seen- !!!!! established name or good connections bags role in 99% of examples.
I totally get why you help your own, but at least own that and don’t pretend it’s anyrhing other than it is.

Well said!! =D> =D>

Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Postby Caroline A-C » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:45 pm

I sometimes wonder whether it is a legal requirement that they have to do. I know in an "office" job, even if there is somebody internally who they want for the job, it has to be offered externally too. My DS has been to castings where it is already rumoured that a particular person has got the role but they still go through the motions. Ridiculous I know but that may be the reason.
All new to me!

Griffer
GRAMMY Award

Postby Griffer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:46 am

Totally agree with the above, I only found out yesterday when he was on Good Morning Britain, that Tom Holland (Spider-Man, The Impossible, Billy Elliot, etc) has a well known father - comedian Dominic Holland. Does irritate somewhat!

ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Postby ScoobyDoo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:16 am

Did you see that the Dr Dolittle child role also went to an experienced well-known boy..... just gotta keep trying and trying and trying....

TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Postby TalyaB » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Griffer wrote:Totally agree with the above, I only found out yesterday when he was on Good Morning Britain, that Tom Holland (Spider-Man, The Impossible, Billy Elliot, etc) has a well known father - comedian Dominic Holland. Does irritate somewhat!

I agree that the high-profile open castings that end up going to a well-connected child are galling, but I hardly think Dominic Holland is the level of famous that would have got his son a part! As I've just said on the Dr Doolittle thread, maybe I'm naive, but I think there's a difference between a child actor who has some past experience from being successfully cast through the normal channels and those who have celebrity parents. If a child's first success is from one of the big West End musicals, I honestly feel that the casting team give every child a fair chance, want the best children for the role and really put them through their paces to find them - I don't think that a family connection would make any difference. Once a child has successfully played that role, they've obviously learned a lot and have an advantage then, but I don't think it's an unfair one. I also don't doubt that the children who get a part in this way won't also have been unsuccessful in the vast majority of castings they attend.

Return to “Auditions 9-15 years”